Ikachan Swimming Into The 3DS eShop in North America Before February

Posted by Andy Green

Guxt also on the way

Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya, the developer behind the much-loved Cave Story, will have two new games in the 3DS eShop this quarter: Ikachan and Guxt. As with Cave Story, both games will be published by Nicalis - the same company behind VVVVVV.

Ikachan sees you take on the role of a squid who swims through an underwater realm, looking for a way out after a series of earthquakes that have left the kingdom ravaged. Originally down for a 2012 release, it will now be available in the 3DS eShop in North America on 31st January for $4.99.

Guxt will also be making an appearance at some point too; there's no definitive release date yet but it will arrive before the first quarter is out. Unlike Ikachan, Guxt bears little resemblance to Cave Story and instead features a lot of vertical shoot-em-up action. It's a simple fast paced blaster and gives you the option to hold the 3DS sideways, so you can use the top-screen as a vertical display mode.

Are either of these two games on your wish-lists? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

[via siliconera.com]

Related Games

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

Ikachan is indeed quite a nice little game.
Emphasis on little though, I am not sure it should cost $5, more like $3.
That's if we're considering the amount of content though, for the quality of the content I'm certain it's worth that much.

...Still, we haven't even got Cave Story+ in Europe yet, which stings.

Knux

Knux said:

I hate to download this and get another glitch-infested game like every Nicalis eShop game so far. I hope we get an update on Cave Story soon.

RR529

RR529 said:

With Cave Story, VVVVVV, & NightSky, Nicalis has become one of my favorite eShop publishers, so I'll definitely look into these (especially Ikachan).

rayword45

rayword45 said:

@RR529 Let me do you a favor. Please go on Steam.

VVVVVV is $3 less and a much better deal since you can download levels and there's a level editor.
Cave Story is the same as well as NightSky, but discounts are much more consistent.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

@haiLtreTtenDo I'll be highly interested to see if these come to Europe at all. Nicalis have got a horrible habit of publishing quality games but not bringing them to Europe. :(

If they ever come here, they'll be insta-downloads for me. Same as NightSky and Cave Story + would be if they'd ever release those here also :(

rayword45

rayword45 said:

@TheDreamingHawk Then why would you charge $3 more? You REMOVED content.

That's like setting up an ice cream stand and charging 8 bucks for one scoop, 5 bucks for 2. Pretending weight watchers never existed how does that make any sense?

Amending that, the single scoop you get sprinkles (3D), while the double scoop allows you to get unlimited refills.

RR529

RR529 said:

@Rayworld45, I would get a Steam account, but we have a really slow old desktop, and don't currently have the money for a new one.

Azikira

Azikira said:

Been waiting for Ikachan since it was announced to be coming out on DSiWare

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

I got excited when I saw Ikachan listed in the Coming Soon list on the 3DS eShop. Definitely gonna buy it the weekend it comes out. :D

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Ikachan could be another game that really benefits from 1) being on a handheld, and 2) the 3D top-screen. I don't know, but something about NightSky really clicked with me, but only because I was holding it in my hands and the subtle 3D depth really added to the atmosphere. I don't think I would have played it to completion--twice--if I'd downloaded it for cheaper on Steam. So I have no problem if eShop games have a slight increase in price.

Windy

Windy said:

@Europe I'm going to hold off on this one until our friends in Europe get at least Cave story. If they're missing out I'm missing out

Monkeh

Monkeh said:

Yay for Windy! ^^

I for one am really disappointed I still can't buy Cave Story+ on the Eshop yet.