Ever Wondered What Downton Abbey Would Be Like As A SNES Game?

Posted by Andy Green

It's bizarrely enthralling

Have you ever been sat at home watching an episode of the popular British TV series Downton Abbey and thought 'you know what, they should make a game out of this'. Well who hasn't, and that's exactly what YouTube user Bill Kiley must have thought, as he has created a brilliant fake trailer for what would be a 16-bit Super Nintendo game.

The trailer shows off some gameplay that manages to capture the mood of the TV show. There's also a chiptune version of the show's theme which, if you ask us, is a major improvement.

You play as the new footman and must help the residents with their problems. The Earl of Grantham has lost ten of his most precious cigars, and it's up to you to locate them; if you can find time however, as you're also spying on Mrs Patmore for Mary Crawley who believes the cook is trying to kill her husband! The head housemaid also needs you to fluff up some pillows for her - that poor footman sure has a lot on his plate.

Sadly, the game isn't real. Check out the fake trailer below and let us know what you think of it.

[via eurogamer.net, youtube.com]

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Never seen the show, but I have heard of it. British TV into games eh? Been into "Spaced" as of late, which would make a great PS1 title with buckets of FMV.

McHaggis

McHaggis said:

That is possibly the last thing I'd ever have expected anybody to spend their precious time doing.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

I want this...no..I NEED this game. Please someone make it happen. I want to be able to save lady Sybil. Alt. endings please. :p

eltomo

eltomo said:

If there's a part I can frisky with Maggie Smith, then lets do a kick starter!

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

According to a few eurogamer members, this is Clock Tower on the SNES!
Nothing gets past those guys, part of the reason I love the site as much as I do! (but NL is my go-to Nintendo site!)

Dezsi

Dezsi said:

I just started watching Downton Abbey, so this was rather surprising. Funny one, for sure.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@CaptainSquid: http://youtu.be/9Yk7u5yAi60 & this one, too

There are some others, such as music from the show, I Am The Doctor, & such, but no actual games, unfortunately.

A real decent Doctor Who game would be awesome. There already are some, though I haven't played any of these myself, so I couldn't attest to their quality.

As for Downton Abbey, that would be a no from me. I might some time actually try to watch more than a few minutes of it, but from what 10-15 some minutes I did see, I wasn't interested.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

That reminds me of these 16-bit RPG Doctor Who (major spoiler warning for people that haven't watched anything post-David Tennant) and Jersey Shore videos.

I'd provide links to the two 16-bit Game of Thrones videos the same guy made but, much like the show itself, some of their content definitely wouldn't be kosher here.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

My wife loves this show but doesn't love videogames. Maybe this can serve as a sort of gateway drug for her...