Castlevania: Mirror Of Fate Contains Eye-Stabbing, Werewolf Appendages And Topless Action

Posted by Damien McFerran

ESRB rating paints a pretty picture

ESRB ratings are usually good for a laugh, as they have to spell out in quite a plain and matter-of-fact manner the themes which are contained within each game, and the rating for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate is certainly no exception.

The game has been deemed 'Mature' by the ESRB, and goes on to list the grisly details:

Content descriptors: Blood and Gore, Partial Nudity, Suggestive Themes, Violence

Rating summary: This is an action-adventure game in which players assume the roles of several members of the Belmont Family as they battle evil forces in a supernatural setting. Players use whips, chains, axes, and other bladed weapons to attack a variety of fantastical creatures (e.g., zombies, werewolves, vampires, harpies). Boss battles contain more frenetic action, with interactive sequences that allow players to stab creatures close-up (e.g., cutting off creatures limbs/torsos; stabbing monsters in the eye). A handful of cutscenes depict human characters getting stabbed with large stakes. Enemies emit splashes of blood when struck, and some enemies burst into pieces when killed. During the course of the game, an extended sequence depicts a female vampire seducing a character while caressing a woman's thigh. A handful of creatures briefly appear topless in battle, and a male werewolve character appears to have an appendage/genatalia between its legs

[via gonintendo.com, esrb.org]

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

I don't like the direction this series is going. I love the DS Castlevania's because they are in 2D.

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

So I guess women with fetishes of men with plenty of hair in the nude,will love this game.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

"Fans of "werewolve [sic] genatalia" will no doubt be rubbing their hands in anticipation for the game's March release."

Among other things. :P

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

The higher the rating, the more fun.
Nudity, Suggestive Themes, Blood, Gore, and Violence?
Sign me up!

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Just hurry up and put "Lords of Shadow" 1 and 2 on the Wii U. already.

rayword45

rayword45 said:

Genitalia as in a graphically depicted penis? The way they described it alongside "partial" nudity, maybe it's like Killface in Frisky Dingo.

Untitled

rayword45

rayword45 said:

Also, is this gonna have CPP support? Trying to get as much usage out of this thing as possible.

Zach

Zach said:

I don't know which I like more, appendages or genitalia! What a game!

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Well if you didn't have enough reasons to buy this game before, now you do.

Sounds like a howling good time!

rayword45

rayword45 said:

@Pikachupwnage I feel stupid XP

The name Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate made me assume the gameplay would be similar to the console counterpart. And a major complaint of the first one was the fixed camera.

KAHN

KAHN said:

kinda reminds me of Code Of Princess... except with werewolf goodies...

Savino

Savino said:

Vampire boobies and werewolfs genitals?!

WHY MY MIND KEEP PUTING BOTH TOGETHER?!?!

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

What. Did. THEY DO??!?!?

Why did they make this M? The content in the E3 and fall trailers made this seem like a T rated game. But then they go and ruin it. I'm OK with graphic violence and sexual themes, but this is too much for a 2D castlevania... It would work as a 3D CV but not as a 2D IMO.

And the genatalia? I know it's not detailed, but why? That sort of stuff belongs in a adult fetish game!

...Next thing you know, they'll add in graphic scenes where the aliens eat people whole in Contra 5.

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

Were-Wolf Genitalia? Sign me up!
/Sarcasm

I'd rather wait for the reviews or videos instead of buying a disappointing game just because it has 'Mature' content,there's plenty of adult websites out there where i see that any day.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

Awesome. I was keen on this being my very first Castlevania game (not counting that awful GB game =P), and all of this debauchery only sweetens the deal. :D

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

Genitania.

While that seductress does sound tempting to see on my 3DS screen, yeah, I'll wait for reviews. I have been interested in this game since it was first announced, anyway.

DudeSean

DudeSean said:

First "Your Highness," now Castlevania. What is this world coming to?

...There have probably been others, too...

Gamesake

Gamesake said:

Eye-stabbing werewolf appendages? Did I read that right? I better turn the 3-D off.

Gioku

Gioku said:

@Ideal_Hero: Nice! :P

Anyways, I don't think I'll be allowed to get this game anymore... I was expecting a "T" rating. I don't think my parents want me playing a game with topless vampires or... other things... If it was just violent, that's one thing, but werewolves with extra appendages...

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

Untitled

Werewolf genatalias.............I still want this game................but do I want it for Werewolf genatalias, does it have an impact on the story and/or gameplay at all.................did I mention I still want this game.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Face it boils & brats, the real Castlevania is dead(for now...). The Adventure: ReBirth was the last Japanese developed title in the series. Now, mediocre western developers are crapping all over the franchise and making it completely different than what it once was. Same deal with Silent Hill....WayForward is the only western dev i trust to do a true 2D castlevania
sequal and you think they would of done once considering they got to do Contra 4.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Who cares? It's not a big deal. And I don't understand
why violence is ok but breast are bad, it's madness! Half of the population has them, all of it needs them. The same can not be said about violence...

I'm not convinced with this game yet. I love DS' Castlevanias but I'm not sure about this one. It's cool it's been developed by compatriots.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

@Gamesake Yes, there are things worth fighting for and we as humans (animals) are violent but that doesn't change the fact that at its core, violence is bad, even if it is forthe better. It baffles me how americans accept violence so lightly as they do but see sex as a tool of the devil.
Sex in a movie? Rated R. Violence? If you don't go too far (which for sex would be softcore or less) you get a PG-13 rating. The funny thing is that USA's sex industry is the biggest in the world and the country the first consumer worldwide. There is a word that describes this, it starts with "h".

How can a boob be a scandal (mrs. Jackson in the Super Bowl) and plenty of blood and extreme violence and cruelty not (tv news, network tv...)?

Knux

Knux said:

''During the course of the game, an extended sequence depicts a female vampire seducing a character while caressing a woman's thigh.''

Woah...sign me up! :O

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

I'm calling it right now; this game will get bashed in reviews, and will be considered a cullt-classic by fans.

Magicpegasus

Magicpegasus said:

konami...finally something for the ladies! everyone, let's just act like adults here. did you really think werewolves got delivered by the stork or something? they NEED those genitals!

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

hah! sweet, been looking forward to this either way but i always did get a kick out of the female characters in symphony of the night like the succubus, diplocephalus, and the one that is the chic in the flower (blue rose or something?).

RudysaurusRex

RudysaurusRex said:

I really love the Castlevania series. A lot. But this Lords of Shadows series is really stupid. The first game was a meh-game and I can see the same for the others. In my opinion, as soon as Castlevania leaves sprite based graphics, it loses the fun. Are werewolf genitals really necessary to the game? Who thought, "Hey, I like werewolf balls. Lets put it in our game."?

Gamesake

Gamesake said:

@DarkCoolEdge People upset with boobs going public at the Superbowl doesn't baffle me. America considers it wrong to mix sex with children. It might be different where you're from. Those crazy cultural divides.

@Usagi-san Depends on the game. But I'd say fighting to put an end to Dracula (the personification of evil) constitutes fighting for a cause.

Windy

Windy said:

@KnightRider666 I would love to see the Castlevania's from DS converted to 3d and from PCEngine. They would just look neat with the 3d scrolling backgrounds.. As Far as Mirror of Fate im having a hard time being sold that its even a Castlevania Game. is there a reason the Hero has to Have this Hulking look to him? who knows I might like it. I didnt think shinobi looked right either and I liked it alot

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

According to the Australian Classification Board, this game has been rated MA15+ for "Strong fantasy violence". It is also said to contain mild themes, sexual references and nudity; in other words, not a lot to write home about as far as debauchery is concerned; however, there have been quite a few games that have been rated M by the ESRB that have received only a PG rating in Australia.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

@Gamesake I know, I've lived there. It's stupid and hypocritical. "Don't look kids, you were fed by one of those but now that you don't it will send you to hell. Let's go shoot something!"

The game does not look good and werewolf genitalia is stupid. It looks like something to get attention. Still, it's Castlevania so I'll follow it closely.

BTW happy new year everybody!

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

I can't beleive this is M, more like shocked that its M, I thought it was gonna be T for sure, E3 really made it seem that way, I was really considering getting this game, but now I am seriously not getting this game. Seriously, topless even, are you kidding me! eyeball gouging, really. From what I saw at E3 there was no need to make this game M, its just unessecary, stupid and distastful. I am really ticked off about this, must everytihng have be sexually explicit.

ZinogreMaster

ZinogreMaster said:

Wait, didnt the other Lords of Shadow game have this type of stuff? And wasnt it a really game anyways? I have faith that the true story will shine through all of these outlying things. And lets not judge this game so harshly right away. I say we give it a chance just like the other games that we already have faith in. Like Fire Emblem Awakening.

ZinogreMaster

ZinogreMaster said:

@Jaz007 Even though I agree with you, I think we should all try and give the game a chance. Who knows, the story might shine brighter than any profanity that they put in the game.

Usagi-san

Usagi-san said:

@Gamesake My point is that the violence doesn't add anything to the game except glorifying brutality. I'd certainly like to know how displays of gratuitous violence by the Hero can have anything to do with fighting for a cause.

Gamesake

Gamesake said:

@Usagi-san Well maybe fans will get lucky and WayForward will make the next 3DS Castlevania. Then Simon can hug it out with Dracula at the end. It seems a little out of place to me, but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Usagi-san

Usagi-san said:

They are family according to the reboot (as in it might be appropriate for them to hug and make up like a happy family rather than try and kill each other - just in case this comment doesn't make sense to anybody.) Although my brother hopes that the whole Dracula-Belmont relationship disappears after they wrap it up and I tend to agree with him.

Hetsumani

Hetsumani said:

That summary is actually what I expect from any review, short and to the point.
"Fans of "werewolve [sic] genatalia" will no doubt be rubbing their hands in anticipation for the game's"
Yes, they're rubbing their hands.

Windy

Windy said:

I think Fans of the series have been disappointed with what they have seen from Mirrors of Fate and the developer knows that. I think these additions are a Desperation attempt to get people on board buying it. Unfortunately people like Perversions and Violence and they sell well. From what I have seen this is not a Castlevania game. They would have been better off making all the Castlevania series 3D Classics including the DS versions which would be like WOW awesome looking!

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

Dudes, this game is about some guys battling monsters and the forces of the undead, violence seems natural for such themes like this. You guys expect the heroes to kill them peacefully?? They're monsters!!

Windy

Windy said:

@Donjwolf I dont think its about the Violence and Perversions so much. Its the Huge step away from the Castlevania Franchise classic style I think that have people saying Woh

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

@DragonHunters The problem is its too offensive to me to play. I really really do not want to see any women (vampire part makes no difference to me) topless.

Gioku

Gioku said:

It's slightly ambiguous as to whose thigh it actually is... Is it still attached to someone? Or is it just a disembodied thigh?

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@Windy: I agree. They are taking away from what made the earlier Castlevania games a classic in the first place. I understand that later games have to "evolve", but this is too much. They need to get away from the whole free roaming 3D version and go back to the side scrolling roots that made Castlevania games awesome from the get go. I was turned off by the N64 Castelvania games, and the one on the PS3.

chevx

chevx said:

",...and a male werewolve character appears to have an appendage/genatalia between its legs" My childhood is ruined,werewolves had genitalia?