Wii U TVii App Goes Live in North America on 20th December

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Twitter and Facebook integration included

TVii, the app that was introduced with much fanfare at Nintendo of America's Wii U launch reveal earlier in the year, will go live on the system from 20th December. It meets Nintendo's promise that the service would arrive stateside during the course of December, though a couple of supported features will have to wait until 2013.

As demonstrated earlier in the year the app will allow you to integrate your various TV services into one convenient place, providing a platform to find and access content that aims to be intuitive and easy to use. At launch in North America it'll support cable and satellite products in both regions, while subscribers to Amazon Instant Video and Hulu Plus will be able to integrate those services. The previously advertised inclusion of both Netflix and TiVo is currently delayed until "early 2013", though the former can be accessed through its own Wii U app.

Perhaps of most interest are the social and online information aspects to the service. Not only will TVii allow you to jump onto Miiverse to post comments, but also Facebook and Twitter via integrated links. Information on what's being watched will be collated from online sources, including movie reviews from Rotten Tomatoes, as one example. While online services such as this exist in some forms, Nintendo's hoping the the ease of access through Wii U and its GamePad will encourage plenty to try it out, especially as it's free. Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime had this to say in the official press release.

After Dec. 20, you’ll never look at your TV the same way again. Wii U owners have already experienced the transformative effect that the GamePad has on game play and social interaction. Nintendo TVii shows how the integrated second screen of the GamePad can also transform and enhance the TV viewing experience. Welcome to the new world of TVii.

Nintendo TVii is also on the way to Europe — it was available at launch on 8th December in Japan — though no release date or concrete details are yet available on this side of the Atlantic. You can check out Nintendo's TVii trailer from earlier in the year, below, to get an idea of what you can expect; are you looking forward to taking this app for a spin?

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

I wonder if it will reach the Netherlands in the future, because we don't have any services like Netflix. (Or I must have been living under a rock or something :P)

Shworange

Shworange said:

Interesting, but I guess I'll have to wait until god only know when in 2013. I have cable and Netflix. Without Netflix support, I might as well just use my cable box. Or is there something I'm missing?

9th_Sage

9th_Sage said:

Without Netflix, it's usefullness for me goes way down. That stinks...what the hell happened I wonder? Having trouble negotiating with Netflix maybe (it's implied that's what the deal with the DVR support is I think)?

rjejr

rjejr said:

@hityoaZZ - "Nintendo's hoping the the ease of access through Wii U and its GamePad will encourage plenty to try it out, especially as its free."

3rd paragraph down, 2nd to last sentence. It wasn't THAT long of an article.

Glad to finally see some good Wii U news, it has been a rough few weeks. Between TVii and Miiverse I'm guessing Wii Us will be seeing a lot more social media time than game playing time, at least until SSB or Kart comes out.

Redeye1904

Redeye1904 said:

Ok. For some reason, I do not believe that it will be fully compatible with my DVR list. I think that's a little too complicated for the big N. But I shall see. They also have not let anyone know which providers will be available.

Redeye1904

Redeye1904 said:

I've been looking for a Japanese demonstration on YouTube forever, but could never find one

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@manu0 If we receive press releases by email, like in this case, or if we obtain news by communicating with contacts etc, no external source is necessary.

manu0

manu0 said:

@ThomasBW84 True, but it doesn't say that anywhere in the article. :)
You're citing an 'official press release' which I thought would be publicly available.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@manu0 Well, for future reference, we don't post a source under the circumstances we've outlined. We get access to press releases etc, like many publications, directly, so maybe on occasions these come through before they're available publicly.

Anyway, if we cite a source that's where we found the news, if not then it's through our own resources. Hope that's clear :)

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Does anyone know if OTA (Over the air) broadcast will work with TVii? Stopped paying for cable awhile ago. I use a digital antennae to watch the major networks and a few local channels... I'd love to still be able to search for shows or at least pop into Miiverse while watching something. But I've got a bad feeling this will only tap into pay subscriptions (cable/satellite) like the article mentions.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@LittleIrves I think you may be out of luck...

"Nintendo TVii maximizes Wii U owners’ current cable, satellite and video-on-demand services by pulling all of their available content sources – such as a Comcast cable package or Hulu Plus subscription – into one place. This empowers Wii U owners to focus on what they want to watch and not how they want to watch. And once users find the show, sporting event or movie they want, they press an icon and Nintendo TVii does the rest."

..."Nintendo TVii launches in the United States and Canada on Dec. 20. At launch, the service will support cable and satellite providers in both regions, as well as direct integration with Amazon Instant Video and Hulu Plus subscriptions in the United States. Further integration with Netflix subscriptions and TiVo are expected in early 2013 in the United States. Wii U owners with a Netflix subscription can still access the Netflix application from the Wii U system’s main menu and enjoy their favorite content accordingly.

All elements of the Nintendo TVii service are included in the purchase price of the Wii U system. Users will define which services they currently subscribe to – including the channel lineup in their cable package and video-on-demand service subscriptions – as part of the setup process."

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

Well I've got Comcast here in Illinois, so I suppose it will be clever while watching sports games and what not. I like the idea of being able to tweet right from the GamePad. #Beardown #GoIrish Kind of stinks that Netflix is yet to be integrated but, oh well. I am interested in seeing how this works!

gametight

gametight said:

I'm really hoping that TVii supports NBA League Pass Broadband, anyone have any ideas if it will?

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

Once again, the rest of the world gets exclusive Apps for their home console, but Australia and NZ miss out as usual. You know sometimes I wish companies could just invest and advertise a whole lot more over here, then there wouldn't be any complaining.

NintendoMaster

NintendoMaster said:

Well, I don't have cable, Hulu Plus, Amazon Video, or Netflix so I guess Nintendo TVii won't change much at all for me.

mshope10

mshope10 said:

pretty sure you can take live screenshots of TV that's what I'm looking forward to.because when I watch the Steelers games it will be awesome to get screen grabs.

Lobster

Lobster said:

... Still don't get it. That video was just a bunch of visual gibberish to me.

Well, I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Redeye1904

Redeye1904 said:

So from what I understand, we will have access our channels and programs tomorrow, but no DVR until early 2013........................................ We only get half the steak......... Why can't they just give us everything at once????????????

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Are you sure it is North America or is USA only? there is a big difference.

jibberldd5

jibberldd5 said:

I can't wait for this to get released in Australia! I heard it will get released around the time pigs start flying!