Wii U Title Tank! Tank! Tank! Reduces Small Child To Tears

Posted by Damien McFerran

Tears of joy, in case you assumed otherwise

In a neat follow-up to the most famous Nintendo-related Christmas unboxing of all time, a 7-year-old child by the name of Reese has delivered a performance which is very nearly as memorable.

As you can see in the video below, Reece bursts into tears when he opens a copy of Namco Bandai's Wii U game Tank! Tank! Tank! on Christmas day. You might think the waterworks are brought on by acute disappointment, but you couldn't be further from the truth - the story behind this soon-to-be-famous video is actually a lot more touching than that.

Reese's father fills in the details:

We were on vacation in Disney World when we were hit with a particularly rainy day. I brought them down to the resort's arcade, and they played Tank! Tank! Tank! for hours, literally. Reese and his brother are 7 and 5 so the ability to take photos of themselves in odd costumes, the bright colors and the rumbling of the arcade really got them hooked...to him the Wii U was merely a means to an end to play Tank! Tank! Tank! It's not the best game in the world, but you can see how a young child would fall for something as whimsical as the game is. Not sure if this was picked up in the video, my nervous tittering in the background was a guise to cover up the fact I was on the verge of tears.

Call us massive softies if you will, but we found this entire episode rather touching. Reese clearly loves the fact that he has Tank! Tank! Tank! - a game which thought wasn't all that great - and that's all that matters. Reese: we salute you.

[via kotaku.com, gonintendo.com]

SMEXIZELDAMAN

SMEXIZELDAMAN said:

Just had a conversation about this. When you are a kid no matter how crappy the game you always play it to death and love it. (unless it's Incoming!)

rayword45

rayword45 said:

^Immense truth. Now I look at Ed Edd n Eddy: Jawbreakers and Nicktoons Unite and question "how the hell did I enjoy this?"

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

Well thats nice. At first I was wondering "Why would someone be happy for one of the Wii U's lesser launch titles?" But this is rather a sentimental gift, for the family.

Lobster

Lobster said:

Awww! Well, that's sweet.

But I had to laugh, I was just having a discussion about how so many kids are named Aidan these days - and then there's Reese's little brother Aidan. Of course!

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

What's the point in giving them other two games (at least)? They would've been fine with Tank! 3 alone, now wouldn't they?
This is the very reason I don't like this video at all, far away from the N64 one.

KingDunsparce

KingDunsparce said:

It was pretty funny how both boys had the same reaction to seeing the title. It looked like they were about to faint.

Grubdog

Grubdog said:

It's a fun game guys. Nobody cares if it's not AAA or Triple Tier or Multi Bloom. Kids can see through all the bullcrap and just wanna have fun.

Shining-Void

Shining-Void said:

How heart warming. It's amazing how kids play anything you give them. We get pickyer as we grow up. Life is funny like that.

Chuie

Chuie said:

i bought this its very fun but after a while it can get reptitive
but hey it made a kid get so happy im was 4 and opened sonic jam not the greatest sonic game but god i was happy i was screaming bloody murder my dad said why hell you screaming there more presents i said cause its SONIC!

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

I didn't see any mention of them getting a Wii U... so can they actually play the game or not?

Also, the video was pretty touching. Not as good as the N64 kid, though!

the_shpydar

the_shpydar said:

Moral of the story:
The next time any of you lot whine or complain that your favorite game got a "low" score or "bad" review, you will realize that you are less mature than a 7 year old. :D

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

For Kids, videogames mean but one thing = FUN. We grownups whine about suff like repetition but tell me, why is Metal Slug so amazing ? Hold right and shoot. Why is the oroginal SMB such a masterpiece ? Hold right and jump. Why is tetris one of the most played games in the world ? Flip shapes and drop them. Thats all you do in these games and they are still pure FUN. So why do we whine about "sub par graphics, missing dual analog controls, no indepth story mode" things like that ? Normally i would say "grow up" but in this case its more apropriate to say "be a child again, stop whining and play games for what they are supposed to be, FUN" :D

Azooooz

Azooooz said:

I guess Nintendo has some kind of magic to make everyone happy. See other Nintendo consoles christmas unwraping.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

It's an awesome game IMO. I do miss the pure simple pick and play fun of the arcades, so there is that. His dad explained over at Kotaku why he reacted like that, turns out they used to play "Tank!Tank!Tank!" together has a family in local Arcade!* If when I was his age my dad brought home, say, an "Afterburner" arcade id probably loose it as well! In fact, if anyone ever offered me a "F-Zero AX" cabinet, id probably be their slave for life.

*ops nevermind, I didn't notice the text after the video.... ~_~;

Sun

Sun said:

The game is crap but I feel like having a child now... So tender!

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

Damn I want to be a dad! Would be so fun to make my kids happy with games haha.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

We have played this game regularly since launch and its a blast blast blast! Superb laugh. Think ONM and Nintendo Gamer rated it at around 7/10 which is fair. Does get repeatitive at certain stages, but kids love repitition of something they're interested in. That's child psychology for you (which many on here don't seem to understand or have forgotten)

zoroarkrules25

zoroarkrules25 said:

i might buy this regardless of it's review because i found that game the same way they did over the summer with my older bro. It seems like it could be really fun to play with friend's when they are over. Also this was the funniest reaction i have ever seen.

Jellitoe

Jellitoe said:

Still remember the screams when I picked up my son from grandma's and he saw the Wii U box in the middle of the minivan.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

When you're 7 every game is worth tears. Then you have treasured memories of the game and when you play it again when you're older you realize it's awful... unless you're blinded by nostalgia.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I like this kid. As long as you like the game, it shouldn't matter what other's think. :D

AVahne

AVahne said:

I'll be waiting for a price drop to $30. Namco Bandai simply can't be trusted to make worthwhile experiences anymore. In my opinion at least.

edcomics

edcomics said:

I know the reviews are lousy, but it does look kind of fun. I'll probably buy this pre-owned in the future when the price comes down a bit.

Adam

Adam said:

Dad of the year for putting it on Youtube.

I played it at Disney, too, and we found it a lot of fun in much the same way as a kid we loved Armor Battle on Intellivision.

I never cried though. Not when anyone was looking.

BlackZephyr

BlackZephyr said:

I didn't know this game is actually on a console. I used to play this on a "game machine" near the movie theater where you insert coin to play, Its was fun because you can cooperate with other player next to you to destroy stuff.. ('___')

JestermanX

JestermanX said:

The arcade version is one of my favorite games. The Wii U version isn't so great because it plays like it's a Wii game and you can't use the Wiimote. I really wanted the Wii U version but I'm glad I didn't get it after playing it, but I really am happy for these kids. Getting to play their favorite game all the time? That's wonderful!

neon2579

neon2579 said:

Congrats, Reese those are the kind of moments that make a Christmas for us moms and dads...
I too have a 5yr. old who was greatly surprised to have a Wii U for Christmas (not that surprised, but still surprised) we also plan to get him Tank,Tank,Tank and the new Super Mario game in a few weeks, he's still really into Nintendo Land....
Oh yeah my wife now plays the Wii U as much as our son if not more;-) Thanks Nintendo... and HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

A 7 year old has better taste and appreciation of a good game than the average game reviewer. Not a huge shock there.