Unepic Adventuring Onto Wii U eShop in 2013

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

"A mixture of platform game, role game and joke"

EnjoyUp Games has announced this week that it'll be publishing Unepic, an indie RPG platformer released on PC in 2011. In this adventure you play as Daniel, "great videogame player, big lover of sci-fi movies, novice player of role games, pot-head", who is swept away to a mysterious castle which he believes is a hallucination; full marks for a quirky storyline.

This title incorporates 2D platforming with what appears to be substantial RPG levelling, abilities and item gathering — apparently we can expect 100 different weapons and 70 spells to learn, for example. Alternative endings, four difficulty levels and achievements are also included, so this has undoubtedly been a serious passion for creator Francisco Téllez de Meneses, who created the game over two years in his spare time.

The game has been approved by Nintendo and the porting process will begin in January, though it's expected that Nintendo will want some of the more adult content to be changed, with a rough prediction of a May release currently on the cards. EnjoyUp Games has a lengthy list of downloads published on Nintendo systems — including La Mulana, of course — so it'll be interesting to see how this title develops.

Are you interested in what you can see of this one so far? Let us know in the comments below.

[via unepicgame.com]

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

When I saw the title i first thought it was Une-pic, une being joining in spanish, pic being from picture. So I actually thought it was a photography app.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Sounds like an insta-buy, as long as they get to keep the "pot-head" part of the storyline ;)

fredtoy

fredtoy said:

This game is great! I played it on PC sometime ago. If people want to try, there is a demo for the PC version.

adrenochrome

adrenochrome said:

despite being a huge fan of indie eshop content i wont get this game if his content is denatured.
Nintendo did setup a restrictive systeme for mature contents so they should allow indie content to use it instead of trying to censor the products :(

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

I'll wait for the reviews. There are about 5 RPGs I wanna get before too long.

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

Adult content aside, this looks promising. If Konami won't give me Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on Wii U, then I hope this one will be a perfect substitution. Now, if only I had connection to the internet... :(

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

@WiiLovePeace I think the character's name is supposed to be "Nicholas" and not "Daniel".... Having said that, I'll definitely be looking for gameplay footage and impressions on this game

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

Yeah, I like what I've seen so far. Quite possibly another great game in EnjoyUp's track record.