The Cave On Wii U Is "Pretty Much" Like Other Versions

Posted by Damien McFerran

Double Fine aiming for parity across platforms

Double Fine's first Wii U game The Cave is due on the eShop early next year, and the company has been showing off what makes the Nintendo version so special.

The GamePad's screen is used for character selection, and can also be used to focus the in-game camera on a certain individual by double-tapping them.

Speaking to Joystiq, Double Fine's Chris Remo explained that the Wii U version would be identical to other editions of the game:

We did work really hard to ensure that visually everything you're seeing is identical to the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions, so there's no downscaling, there's nothing going on that is not up to par with the other next-gen systems. There's nothing super wacky going on, but it's a completely full-featured version of the game.

Are you looking forward to playing this title? Drop a comment to let us know.

[via vg247.com, joystiq.com]

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Yep, that's what I feared. Developers making WiiU games exactly as PS3/XBOX360 games. Well, I'm staying away from those games.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Its Double Fine, so I'm defiently gonna have a look at this when its released.

seronja

seronja said:

i love double fine products and just about anything tim schaffer did ( except kinect games ) so i'm gladly going to purchase this on wii-u when it's out... only thing i'm afraid of that this game will also be very underrated like his other brilliant games such as grim fandango, psychonouts and brutal legend

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

What's this game like? Just curious as there's isn't a description in the link above. Though I've never heard of it, the name Tim Schaffer rings a bell, though I've never played any of his games before, but this one looks interesting, i'll keep my eye on it.

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

@SanderEvers Exactly what is wrong with Xbox360/PS3 games? Seriously, if your going to be that biased, don't even bother to say anything. You probably haven't even played those systems.

SimonB79

SimonB79 said:

a new graphic adventure by monkey islands Ron Gilbert = instant buy ... Can't wait! /excited :)

adrenochrome

adrenochrome said:

@AlphaIchimoru
it's not a matter of xbox/playstation being wrong, it's a matter of lazy ports :
ok this time the port was fine-tuned (opposed to batman and cullofduty), but the WiiU regarding his capacities diserve something better than xbox/playstation, if not, then what would be the interest of the WiiU ?

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Double Fine always has some strange yet interesting games going on. I'm not so sure about this one however...

rjejr

rjejr said:

@manu0 - That's exactly what I was thinking. And it speaks this truth, some developers see the Wii U as Nintendo's equivalent to the PS3 and Xbox360, NOT next-next gen.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

This is a game made by Tim Schafer!! Whatever anyone says about graphics or gameplay I bet the story makes up for it big time. It isn't always about graphics or gameplay. If you favour graphics and gameplay over story in an adventure game, you're wrong to begin with.

And for the ones wanting special features for their Wii U versions: Just be glad this is coming at all (and will be the same as on the other systems). Apart from that it INDEED has some Wii U special features, like obviously touch controls, GamePad-play and Miiverse.

Will be buying the Wii U version as soon as it's out.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@AlphaIchimoru I think it has more to do with everyone trying to class the Wii U in the same category as the PS360 as opposed to it actually being a gen ahead; Why bother getting one if its only being made out to be on par with 'last gen' consoles and sometimes made out to be like they have to work hard just to do that?

I don't see why that alone should stop you from buying a game though.

@ Whoever mentioned about a poor review, I'm still thinking about The Cave on Wii U though because I personally think it will be good. Look at how many sites gave ZombiU a poor review but you still see buyers giving it praise. I'm going to personally try this game and judge it myself. :)

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

@SKTTR Well actually... it was made by Ron Gilbert, but close enough! Tim is a great guy and basically is Double Fine.

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

Why would we need to worry? The Wii U is more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360! Plus, it seems pretty lazy of them not to take advantage of Wii U's features...

Klinny

Klinny said:

@ocarinadude14 The PS3 Preview seems largely favorable while the Wii U version seems to have gotten quite a few complaints. The main issue seems to be with the camera controls in co-op. I'm wondering if there was a difference in console versions, or if the players just had different opinions.

Tomatoboxer

Tomatoboxer said:

@SanderEvers What's the problem with that? Are you saying you would rather the Wii U version is worse, or adds a gimmick to take advantage of the Wii U's extra capabilities? Because both of those sound awful to me.

Katzii

Katzii said:

@rogerwilco But IGN couldn't even get the release date right (claiming it was released at the beginning of this year), so I wouldn't put too much weight on their preview.

I played the game at Eurogamer, and had a great time.