Space Harrier 3D Is Real, Hits Japanese 3DS eShop Next Week

Posted by Damien McFerran

Welcome to the fantasy zone

Back on November we reported on a rumour that stated SEGA was about to bring some of its classic arcade titles to the 3DS with fancy 3D visuals, and that Space Harrier was set to see release first.

Turns out it was more than just a rumour, and SEGA is launching Space Harrier 3D on the Japanese 3DS eShop on December 26th.

The updated title is set to feature mid-game saves, a host of display options and a Time Trial mode. It also features a mode which apparently simulates the movement and sound of the original hydraulic arcade cabinet.

[via gonintendo.com, archives.sega.jp]

luminalace

luminalace said:

Awesome I want it. In fact I hope Sega bring back more of their classic arcade games which if the rumour going around at the moment is true, they are. Give me Outrun please!

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

I'd rather Sega hurry up with more Game Gear games like Defenders of Oasis and Shining Force: The Sword of Hayja, where are those games? I really want to try them out, except Sega hasn't supported the 3DS eShop that well lately outside of Japan.

Otto-Soq

Otto-Soq said:

That is very promising. And i am hoping they will bring their games screen-filling and with a smooth graphics option.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

Untitled
Space Harrier was already in 3D all these years, though you had to use these glasses to make them work

Damagemanual

Damagemanual said:

I can't wait. Move VC games is always a good thing in my book. Console or Arcade, doesn't matter.

Gustoff

Gustoff said:

Day 1 buy for me, my first actual purchase from the eShop if it comes to the US. Would like to see Out Run, Afterburner, Alex Kidd and others that i can't remember...

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

More 3D Classics! SMB3 3D Classic would be... amazingly awesome for most of us. Hopefully this is the start to some more Sega and Nintendo 3D Classics

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

is it going to look exactly like the master system game, or will it have proper 3D graphics of today?

SirQuincealot

SirQuincealot said:

so checked out the gameplay it seems very similar to kid icarus uprising flying mode... is this at all correct?

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

sweet, since kid icarus turned out to be space harrier with an icarus skin i guess they figured they would just release a space harrier for real ;p

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

My retro gamer side will probably scream at me until I buy this.
I hope it doesn't let my memories down :).
...and I hope it does come to the US!

Hokori

Hokori said:

Odd how Japan doesn't like Sega, gets a ton of support, and yet US (who loves Sega) doesn't get support

SMW

SMW said:

Yes! I've been wanting to play Space Harrier after playing that Space Harrier minigame in SEGA Tennis. I recall the minigame being pretty tough, and I remember hearing that the game was hard as well. I like a good challenge!

MakeMyBiscuit

MakeMyBiscuit said:

I hope this opens the door of other Sega Scope 3D games for the 3DS although this Space Harrier looks like a 3D conversion of the arcade game and not the 8 bit Sega Master System Space Harrier 3D, not that I'm complaining at all.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

@jibberldd5 Well that version was for the master system, the 3ds version is the arcade game, and a reason they are bringing this to the 3ds is use the 3D and make the game pop out, but that doesn't really matter because Space Harrier is awesome.
@MrWalkieTalkie Maybe, the Virtual Boy did make the games in 3D I guess (I never seen one in action before, so I don't know how it looked)

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Nobody, really?

Sega does what Nintendon't.

Bring back 3D classics! I hope Sega continues on, they have many classics that would fit great.

NImH

NImH said:

This looks really good! ...a perfect fit for a 3DS makeover! I never got to play this as a NintendoKid. I was stuck with 3D World Runner.
Ya know... with Sega beginning to release their old games with the 3D treatment, this could start another Sega/Nintendo war! Bring it on!

shredmeister

shredmeister said:

WOW! Totally didn't expect this. Can't wait for it to hit NA. This game munched a ton of my quarters when I was a kid. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!! Dies and keels over...Comes back to life GET READY!

Windy

Windy said:

I have to be the worlds worst space harrier player. I was horrible on all versions including the pcengine. I will probably still get this to support sega's support for sega 3d classics. Would love to see Outrun 3d with online leader boards and Shining force. It wouldnt matter to me if shining force was in 3d. I dont know how they could pull that off other than the cool attack screens but either way would be nice.

online leader boards wouldbe awesome for Space Harrier 3d and Outrun 3d should sega decide to do both games. definately would put them in my tobuy list