Rumour: Ubisoft Looking To Buy THQ's Assets

Posted by Andy Green

French company reportedly in talks to acquire tangible assets

On Wednesday THQ filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy in the United States, handing over its tangible assets to Clearlake Investments, an investment firm, with a view to selling the business on.

It appears that Ubisoft is the front runner to pick up THQ's tangible assets, with MCV reporting that they have been told the French company is already in serious talks with the company, hoping to draw up a deal suitable for both parties. MCV's sources say Ubisoft is likely to hold out for a bargain price considering it's in a much stronger position than the American publisher.

Should Ubisoft acquire these assets it would take over five studios - including Vigil Games, Relic Entertainment, Volition, and THQ Montreal - and attain the rights to such titles as Darksiders, Saints Row, Company of Heroes, Homefront, Metro and Red Faction, as well as the licencing deals for games based on WWE and some of the Warhammer titles.

Ubisoft has made it no secret that it desires to be the biggest publisher on the market, so acquiring THQ's assets would certainly aid it in achieving that goal.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think Ubisoft would do a good job with THQ's assets? Fire-off in the comments below.

[via mcvuk.com]

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

Sounds good to me. Perhaos in this way, people from Ubisoft can influence the WWE games and take control of some of the developmental aspects, 'cause THQ doesn't add much to the yearly series each year.

But yet again, they could be worse off. They could be like the FIFA or MADDEN series...

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

At least its not Activation or EA buying them, that would be just awful. But I think Ubisoft can do well with the THQ franchises.

IsawYoshi

IsawYoshi said:

@Angelic_Lapras_King Imagine if EA thought that way when they bought developers. They would never ha bought any. My point ain't that they are as good as retro, I don't think so, but that nintendo needs more first-party games, and THQ actually got quite a few that would be nice for nintendo to have, especially since THQ is a bargain right now, and a lot of gamers think that nintendo needs more "M" rated games.

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

Ubisoft ain't bad. They make plenty of shovelware but ubisoft Montpellier makes some awesome games(Rayman orgins-legends and zombiU) and Montreal makes some good games.

Lopezdm

Lopezdm said:

I hope Nintendo tries to buy them but Ubi and Nintendo have a excellent relationship so if they do buy them then all the THQ games will be on Wii U no question about it. Look at how many launch titles most of them are Ubisoft games.

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

Yeah, Ubisoft getting those assets would undoubtedly be good news for Nintendo fans.

yobucky

yobucky said:

Ubisoft? Yeah they are the least scumbag of the big companies, and make a lot my favourite games so it's good that they are buying THQ. Hopefully they drop some of the bad frachises and keep the good ones, so they're adding more on the quality side and less to the shovelware side, which ubisoft and THQ both have a fair number of.

Farmboy74

Farmboy74 said:

If Nintendo brought THQ'S existing gaming assets, it would bolster Nintendo's list of first party franchises. I for one wouldn't mind seeing future Saints Row, and Darksiders being Wii U exclusives. If Ubisoft buys them, there's no guarantee that Ubisoft would bring these titles to the Wii U.

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

A few questionable things aside, Ubisoft is easily my favorite of the major 3rd party gaming publishers so I'd be fine with this.

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

I don't see Nintendo buying THQ's assests guys, they're a japanese company and most of THQs IPs don't really follow Nintendos philosophy on video games.

MAB

MAB said:

Ubisoft can only do good with alot of those franchises even though I couldn't care less about them ;)

TheRegginator

TheRegginator said:

Ubisoft is probably the company I'd like to buy THQ the most. They're in good relations with Nintendo and they're a third party company. As a PC and Nintendo gamer, it works out perfectly for me. I just don't want some terrible company like EA or Activision buying them.

luminalace

luminalace said:

Well considering Ubi's great relationship with Nintendo, I think this would probably be the best for us.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Do remember that Ubisoft are providing great support for the Wii U. Them acquiring THQ can only be a good thing for Wii U owners.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

If Nintendo doesn't step in to buy THQ's assets, then let Ubisoft do it. Like other people have said already, they aren't as bad as EA, Activision or Capcom.

If Ubisoft pulls it out, I look forward to seeing what they would do with their newly acquired properties.