Nintendo Unfolds Paper Mario Visual History

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

It's so pretty

Paper Mario: Sticker Star is days away in Europe and has been available in North America for a few weeks, and represents the first venture of the flat Mario onto a handheld. It's the fourth entry of a series over a decade old, meanwhile, games with enough RPG elements and dialogue to require a bit more development time than a traditional 2D platformer.

By Nintendo standards it's a relatively short history with few entries, but that doesn't mean that the new title isn't worth celebrating. As part of its tradition of producing rather attractive info-graphics to commemorate major releases, Nintendo of Europe has produced a rather colourful and appealing Paper Mario visual history. It covers all four entries, taking us from N64 to 3DS, and is worth a look for fans of the series.

Check it out in all of its glory below.

Related Games

Hybrid

Hybrid said:

I think I should replay the original some time soon.
It's one of my all-time favorites :)

Paper Mario Sticker Star should arrive tomorrow, should be amazing, despite the so-so reviews.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Love the series, really dig the Game Cube one. Looking forward the 3DS outing.

TheRavingTimes

TheRavingTimes said:

Paper Mario has been falling apart in my opinion over the years. The first two are amazing, but then we got a platformer and an RPG with a messy formula. I just want Nintendo to go back to the basics and provide us with a Paper Mario title similar to Super Mario RPG or the Mario and Luigi RPG series.

yobucky

yobucky said:

Thousand year door is still my favourite game of all time, any platform, ever.

zoroarkrules25

zoroarkrules25 said:

The thousand year old door is my favorite but it is hard to place the other entries because they are all really good

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

The Paper Mario series has come a fair way and has been doing fine; anyone who says otherwise just can't accept new things and miss out. While I won't say no to any possible return of 64 and TTYD's RPG formula, I appreciate the change Sticker Star gives.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

As much as I love the "Paper" series, I always wondered why they never made a true Mario RPG sequel.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@Dreamcaster-X: SMRPG(subtitled: "Legend of the Seven Stars" outside Japan) was created in 1996 in part by Squaresoft, now Square Enix, after their merger(sources say 2003). Complications arose from Square's creation/involvement of the game, that a true sequel was never released. So, you could say Paper Mario, & it's descendents are the spiritual successors to SMRPG. Especially b/c the first Paper Mario was going to be called SMRPG 2.

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

I loved all 4 games in the series, but to be honest, I liked Paper Mario 64 the most. TTYD's my least favorite.

gohanrage

gohanrage said:

Paper Mario is Nothing compared to Super Mario RPG a Collaboration between Nintendo and Squaresoft