Mega Man 1 to 6 Blasting Onto 3DS Virtual Console

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

No need to be blue

In early November we reported that Capcom was aiming to bring the NES Mega Man games to the 3DS Virtual Console, and it's now been confirmed that this will be a reality. With all of the NES titles already released in Japan and the original Mega Man available on the European eShop, the time for North America to join in has now arrived.

Capcom employee Brelston has taken to the Capcom Unity blog to confirm the good news, with the original Mega Man arriving on 27th December, and Mega Man 2 slated for 7th February 2013; the remaining four NES entries will arrive at "regular intervals" throughout 2013.

Of course it's only fitting as the Blue Bomber celebrates his 25th Anniversary; we'll be paying tribute here on Nintendo Life, so stay tuned.

[via neogaf.com, capcom-unity.com]

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

I also just checked capcom-unity and there's no link for Street Fighter X Megaman anywhere, even the comments say there's no link

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

I already have number 2 for WiiWare. I'll probably get the third one, I prefer them portable.

Windy

Windy said:

3d Classics or Straight ports? I would love to see them as 3d Classics. How do you guys feel about them being 3d classics if that's even the case?

Plutonian

Plutonian said:

I like them portable as well, and I can't wait for these. I have been demanding this on all of my N Club eshop reviews. As for 3D or port, I'm torn. I love classic 2d games, but some of the 3d classics look cool. Right now I'm kind of leaning toward traditional 2d because I don't have the games anywhere else and if I have one version I would like it to be in original form.

Windy

Windy said:

More then likely these will be straight ports. Ive played and beat all 6. I have the gamecube megaman collection and would love to see them as 3d Classics. Just as well if not for everyone who hasn't played them if they are not 3d. Either way they will be good and that's for sure

Starzsixty9

Starzsixty9 said:

I hope they release as 3D classics.. but ill buy them either way. Even though I have them on gamecube for the last anniversary collection and for my original NES these are my favorite games! And now it will be portable :)

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Hurry it up Capcom! Also when are we getting the GB ones? >:[
Very happy that we're getting these eventually though - VC seems to be dead right now, and with the GG games seemingly gone along with Harvest Moon and any first party Nintendo games - it's been pretty dull.

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

Hmm, I don't know about the first one (I played that enough as a kid) but I'll pick up Mega Man 2 for sure. Rock on Man!

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

Yes more Mega Man games for the 3DS VC, Capcom should also release the 4 other GB Mega Mans and the 2 GBC Mega Man Xs on the 3DS VC too.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@3DSNoobieNerd Thanks for that, I've checked and updated the article.

These will just be normal VC games, not 3D Classics or anything like that.

The Street Fighter X Mega Man game is certainly elusive, but I've followed a link and I'm downloading now. Assuming it's not a malicious virus I'll post the link once I've tested it...

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Well, since I suck at 90% of video games I doubt I'll get these. I'll try Street Fighter X Mega Man first. If the download works, it said it'd take me an hour to downlaod the 38 megabyte game? I got 1.2 megabyte/second download rate normally.

Mike1

Mike1 said:

These are already available on the Wii. Why not release the GB Mega Man games instead. I'm very dissapointed with the 3DS VC. It showed such promise, but Nintendo just seems to be lazy and just keeps giving us the NES games instead of the GB ones. I thought the GB games were the point of the 3DS VC??

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

it said it'd take me an hour to downlaod the 38 megabyte game?

A whole lot of people are downloading from the same source at the same time. Its expected to be slow. Its downloading quickly for me right now.

I thought the GB games were the point of the 3DS VC??

I think its because NES games are in color and the majority of Game Boy games are weak black and white ports of games released on the NES. But even so, Game Boy games have their charms, especially the ones created specifically for the Game Boy.

How about Mega Man 6 for Wii VC?

It'll take several months to get through all the games on 3DS VC. Maybe in that time we will see Mega Man 6 on Wii VC.

bluecat

bluecat said:

Well that's nice but I would have liked them to be 3D remakes. But at least they'll be portable now!

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

I'm sick of the old Mega Man. When's the obvious superior Mega Man X going to get the spotlight?

Magrane

Magrane said:

Isn't the link to SFXMM just: www.capcom-unity.com/mega_man ?

Did they take it down already? Glad I have mine, then...

By the way, it's ENCOURAGED to download the version from the Capcom website, as Capcom-Japan is keeping its Mega eye on it........

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

Awesome. I'll get all six.
I also hope they don't forget about the Wii/Wii-U Virtual Console. There's still MM6, 7 & X3 to be released there.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Really wish they would finish of the GB series so we can at least get MMV but this is still good news. This means I can finally put away my GC copy of MMAC.

Brando67854321

Brando67854321 said:

@ogo79 It doesn't need one check your wii by the time megaman 6 comes on 3ds it wont be on wii by the time megaman 6 comes there which is a slap in the face for people who have megaman 1-5 on the wii vc alredy & for wii u capcom denied 3 games for wii u.:P

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Come on with 6, 7, and X3 for the VC.

Then move to Saturn for 8 for the WiiU VC... whenever that gets announced. :p

Nekketsu3D

Nekketsu3D said:

more than a year waiting for these releases, Nintendo USA and Crapcom really not interested at all the fans...

AntiGuy

AntiGuy said:

Cool, but I'm very happy with my Megaman Anniversary Collection for the Gamecube. Every single Megaman game, from 1 to 8 and just for 5 bucks! thx Game Stop!

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

Um... What about the Game Boy Mega Mans that they haven't finished releasing? All we have is Dr. Wily's Revenge.

Neram

Neram said:

That's cool and everything, but what about finishing releasing them on the Wii Virtual Console? I was hoping to complete the collection, and you know... The Wii is a console, not a handheld, so it kind of makes more sense considering these are console games.

NTELLIGENTMAN

NTELLIGENTMAN said:

This news isn't good. At $4.99 a piece, we'll pay almost $30.00 for 6 games when the Anniversary Collection gave us 10 games and typically sells for $19.99.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Megaman 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 are already on Wii VC, so it's a waste of space! I want new games on 3DS e-shop, not nes games!!