Masahiro Sakurai: The Wait For Smash Bros. Will Be Worth It

Posted by Andy Green

Producer stops tweeting to focus solely on upcoming brawler

Masahiro Sakurai, producer of Kid Icarus: Uprising, is currently working hard on the next instalment of the Smash Bros. series which will be available on both Wii U and 3DS. In his latest Famitsu column Sakurai reiterated that the game is still a long way off, and that Nintendo fans would have to wait a while longer.

Because he has taken on this mammoth task, Sakurai has decided to shut himself away and has said he’ll be a lot more anti-social with fans, especially on Twitter:

I hardly ever write anything on Twitter any longer, and that's because I think right now is the time to stop tweeting and start putting in a real effort here. If I could put it a really harsh way, I think it'd be better if I could be forgotten by gamers for a while.

Sakurai feels that sometimes things said on Twitter become misconstrued and rumours can snowball, resulting in disappointment when things don’t happen.

I don't like it when a tweet or whatever leads to needless speculation getting spread around. For example, when I tweet about playing some game, some people immediately get the idea that that character is in the new Smash Bros. Then people fan the flames on it, people start to think it's really true, people get angry about it. Nobody benefits.

It doesn’t look like we’ll be seeing much of Masahiro Sakurai until the game is finished then, so if you were expecting a reply on Twitter any time soon you might as well forget it. The producer concluded his column by saying:

Instead of talking about what Smash Bros. will be like. I'm just going to say 'I'm making you wait for it!' and keep going along. I want to put my all into a full-on launch that really makes that wait worth it.

Are you excited about playing a new Smash Bros. on your Wii U or 3DS? Fire-off in the comments below.

[via polygon.com]

WesCash

WesCash said:

Sounds like he is dedicated and taking his work seriously. Awesome.

Does anyone else remember the Smash Bros. Dojo site they constantly updated prior to Brawl's release? I'm hoping they do that sort of thing again when the time comes.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Sounds like stuffs about to get serious. :p Kind of like a "i'll show you what kind of game I can put out". I say, bring it. Been looking forward to the next Smash Bros

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

It is hard to forget about greatness Sakurai-san. Having said that, waiting for the best version of Smash Bros. is just fine with me. I prefer quality over a rushed project any time. Patience is a virtue and often pays off.

C7_

C7_ said:

We already knew Smash Bros. wasn't coming for years anyway, but I'm glad he's realizing what the less-informed fanbase can do with even the slightest misinformation and is focused on making a truly great Smash Bros.

CowLaunch

CowLaunch said:

I'd prefer for there not to be Dojo, and for it all to be a surprise when it comes out.

yoshisaredragon

yoshisaredragon said:

@WesCash I hope not it ruined the surprise, and even if you don't go the site, it is everywhere and theres no way to avoid it and it ruins the game

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

I would really like the Dojo again..I would say completely without secret characters and stuff though, but darn...the way the internet is now, nothing is a secret for long.
That being said, I remember being real excited the day Sonic popped up on the Dojo site. I prsonally really enjoyed the site and hope it happens again...of course, that would be a while off as well.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

You know I could never get into the Smash Bros games, and I have played them all. I just dont get the hype behind them.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

OMG GUYS I THINK HE'S SAYING THERE WILL BE DLC AND TWITTER WILL BE A STAGE!!!

Sorry, I am really not good at this needless speculation thing...

zoroarkrules25

zoroarkrules25 said:

I can't wait and based on how amazing kid Icarus uprising was then this should be a amazing and possibly the greatest fighting game ever.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

No Dojo this time please. There were very few surprises left in the game. Besides, his time is better spent working on the game than on a website.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

@ShadJV Yeah...I do see what you mean really about the secrets. I would be fine if they showed off the characters and stages and stuff you start with one by one each day though. Maybe someone else should worry about the site though so he can focus on the game itself.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Bring it, Sakurai-san. Knock my socks off!

He is a very hard worker and he means what he says, so you better take him seriously and take him for his word.

Spartacus3765

Spartacus3765 said:

One thing to make sure works this go around: online. We can't have another SSBB online snafu. That was the biggest thing I was hyped for and probably the biggest letdown. Fortunately, I have full faith in this staff. Make it happen, fellas!

Rococoman

Rococoman said:

I look forward to a great game from Sakurai. However, sometimes I wish Nintendo would just pull a Capcom and give us some iterative updates to Smash.

Why have the past few years given us FOUR NSMB games but one smash game? I would happily pay 15$ to download a few new characters and roster balancing. Heck, if they charged full price for Brawl 2 which had these with decent online functionality and the possibility for future balancing I would buy a Wii U tomorrow.

You guys should gives PS All Stars a shot. It's not Smash, but if you like Smash, there's a good chance you'll like it.

WesCash

WesCash said:

I'm surprised that people didn't like Dojo. I loved it. I found that the website really got me pumped for the release of the game. I don't really care about spoilers though, especially for games without plots. I like to know what I have to look forward to. Loading up Dojo everyday to see something new was a great experience in itself.

Ryno

Ryno said:

@Tasuki: I don't get the hype with them either? There are at least ten other franchises I wish Nintendo would focus on instead.

itsanandito

itsanandito said:

I hope Sakurai knows how much we appreciate his hard work and dedication towards the new Smash Bros. project. It will be incredible!

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

They should do the Dojo style of announcing news. That was always cool.
They should also call the next Smash Bros. "New Super Smash Bros." I really like that name.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

This will be the best game ever. Period.

My Wii U is ready, my 3DS is ready, my bank account is ready, my body is ready.

BRING ON THE SMASH BROS!

rjejr

rjejr said:

Just don't let Reggie give a release date that's 5 months before it actually comes out, and then give a new release date that pushes it back another month.

I really really hope this is the game that Nintendo gets right. Online multiplayer, Wii U vs. 3DS multiplayer, new character and level DLC, a much more robust level editor, and maybe destructive environments or something else new that makes me feel like the game is getting a real update.

Oh, and I liked the dojo, but this time I'ld like to see something more fan direct like a Wii U channel like Metroid Prime had on the Wii. That was such a cool idea but they never ever used it again.

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

Oh that's AWESOME! He's officially stating that he's going to focus on this game!! That's great because he was super focused on Kid Icarus and came out AWESOME! I expect this game to come out in 2014...giving us time to play the "supposed" rumored new Mario game for Wii U & new Zelda game for the 3DS next year.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

I hope it will support ALL of the different controllers Wii U supports, even the balance board! ;D

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Good for you Sakurai. Let nothing distract you, not even the fans (they can sometimes be the worse).

The best news (Imo) is no news. I know if I focus on this like I did with Brawl and the Dojo, I would bite my fingers to the palm. Hopefully I forgot about this so I can stop being hyper.

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

@Tasuki: "I can see what you mean. It's just... I don't know if you experience the original time it came out. It was in 1999 and around that time...the concept of Nintendo biggest icons fighting each other was AWESOME! Seeing Link in the Starfox world and learning about Ness was so cool! There is just WAY TOO many things about smash bros that have SO MANY of us REALLY hyped about it."

gavn64

gavn64 said:

eh... why are some people saying this will be the best game ever and that zelda wiiu ad mario wiiu will only tide them over until it comes out it will be good yes but im way more excited for pikmin 3, zelda, mario, the new retro studios game, zelda 3ds, and luigis mansion.

123akis

123akis said:

i will be soo disappointed if this game dont turn out good but i think it will!

ultrakirby64

ultrakirby64 said:

@WesCash I really liked Dojo as well, but I find it much better when you go into the game and have no idea what's coming. So when you see that New challenger approaching image, it's that much more exciting. And if they had the site, then the second anything was announced, it would be all over the internet. And it would be difficult to avoid all the spoilers.

Xilef

Xilef said:

@Rococoman Making a Smash game is a huge project. I don't think they have the time to make a Smash game per console, at least not without rushing one out. Sakurai would probably end up being tired of making them to. Besides, each Smash game has enough replay value to last a console gen anyway.

Adam

Adam said:

The dojo was awesome. It was something to be excited for week after week, something to discuss with friends and ease the wait. Those seeking surprises can not read it or follow spoilery threads. Most fighting games reveal the starting roster ahead of time, which is all the dojo did until it was released in the first region.

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

There's a really intresting topic on GameFAQs right now that the topic creator claims to be working as a PR member at Namco Bandai. He claims that he knows quite a few details about the roster for the next Smash Bros., such as Little Mac and Takamaru being confirmed, King K. Rool getting an all-new design by Retro Studios, and a new character from the rumored Yoshi Land game called "Debu" being considered for being playable.

Link: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/64901335

bahooney

bahooney said:

Oh man, it's going to be so hard to wait for SSB4. I think I might just cut myself off from gaming sites once a Dojo-esque site is revealed, because you know every site ever is going to put the smallest update as a headline. Blaaagh.

krunchykhaos

krunchykhaos said:

@LordJumpMad Don't be so sure. It has a lot of potential. Considering sakurai's dedication and attention to fans i'm imagining a melee esque ssb with HD visuals.

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

I understand people's complaints about the Dojo, but I personally enjoyed it.

Varia01

Varia01 said:

YES! Smash Bros. Brawl was one of my favorites on the Wii! The gamepad could offer some new tricks and the TV will bring amazing HD! I can't wait!

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

For a game so great, I will do anything Sakurai says... well, almost anything... :)

Chaoslink1

Chaoslink1 said:

HELL YEAH!!! I mostly want the 3DS one because then I get to play it whenever and where-ever I want :D
I hope the 3DS version won't be really lacking in content compared to the Wii U version because I don't think I'm getting a Wii U :/

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

I'm really interested in the cross-play between the Wii U and 3DS versions. I also wonder what will differ between the two.

Magnet_Man018

Magnet_Man018 said:

1. Good to hear. I want the biggest fighting game ever, Sakurai, and if that takes 3 more years or even more, go ahead.

2. NO DOJO! I saw it after playing the game, but if I had seen it before, everything would have been spoilt. So no Dojo. A teaser site would be good though.

3. Not entirely convinced with the 3DS and Wii U thing. I fear that that would be a reason to release a half of the game for the 3DS and the other half on the Wii U. On the other hand, if they do it the same, the 3DS version would be really limited due to the max cartridge memory, and the Wii U could be affected.
I just say that it's better to focus on only one version (Wii U preferably, console for Smash Bros. as always) and make it flawless than splitting the focus on 2 different versions.
I really think the 3ds version will be cancelled at some point.
Besides, Smash Bros has always been a console series and a handheld smash bros would be really odd.

4. @LordJumpMad Melee is really awesome, but it's also very overrated. I still prefer Brawl in terms of content.

Adam

Adam said:

Jump is joking. He played Brawl until recently when he was tired of losing and picked up his Wii.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

I know im gonna get alot of hate, but I'd rather see all their effort go into the Wii U version over the 3DS version.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

A new Smash Bros. Dojo would be fine, but I wouldn't want a ton of spoilers. I spoiled almost all of Brawl's secrets except most of the Subspace Emissary and ended up regretting it when I realized how much more amazed I would've been if I knew little about Brawl. I love that Sakurai purposefully kept most of Kid Icarus Uprising a secret from the public until the public could play the whole game and realize how much grander it was than people thought. I would like for Sakurai to have that same approach for this new Smash Bros.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

The people that usually 'don't get' the SSB series haven't sunk enough time into them or learned how to play the game properly. I've been a fan of street fighter for years, with II:HD remix and III possibly being my all time favorites in the franchise. But I'll admit, SSB Melee & Brawl especially beats them both out for me. The acrobatic manouvering, deflecting, ground and air dodging, items, environment hazards, Smashing, blocking ect ect make SSB one of the most kinetic, deepest, satisfying, fun and varied fighters out there. No there aren't dozens of chain combo's to master, this is a completley different breed of fighting and it's amazing! A NOOB has absolutely no chance against a skilled player that's for sure.

Here's hoping Little Mac, Starfy, Mega Man, King Hippo(Wishful thinking!) and Simon Belmont make the roster! AND i hope Sakura doesn't gimp the air dodging like he did in brawl....I was devestated the first time i found out about it. :P

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

Sakurai is going silent on Twitter? Good riddance. I hate that people take every little thing the man says as something Smash Bros. related.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

@MeowGravy I agree completly
I'me getting the Wii U version but not the 3ds version. I hope they release some sort of gamecube controller for this that is also compatable with compatable Wii games and VC games.

Bucho

Bucho said:

Will buy the 3DS version on day one! always wanted a portable smash bros with cross platform play, brilliant idea, i just hope they don't make it too Namcoey...

Doge

Doge said:

at least we know that he is working hard this, and that we will get it as soon as possible

GamecubeMan

GamecubeMan said:

Will buy the 3DS one on day one! Not sure about the Wii U one but it will SSB4 will probaly have alot to offer if you have both copies in your possession.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

i think its great that he will fully focus on the game

im wondering how things will work for the 3ds though or will there be some connection with the wii u version and such or maybe different characters :o

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

@Bucho Im not entirely convince the connectivity between games involves cross play because if i remeber reading that 3DS smash game is going to look and play a little bit different

anyways i look forward to picking both the Wiiu and 3DS game up day one

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

This along with Mario Kart U or hopefully an online F-Zero will make the wii u an awesome multiplayer experience!

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

Hey, take your time Sakurai. I mean sure this is my favorite series, but just take ALL the time you need. /twiches

Norfair

Norfair said:

I hope that the 3DS version won't make the Wii U version hold back on all the potential content it could have..
Also, I would never buy a SSB game for the 3DS, I have abused the my GameCube controllers enough with Brawl and Melee, the 3DS doesn't seem durable enough for such button smashing..

CaptainAmerica5

CaptainAmerica5 said:

@Tasuki In addition to being an awesome fighter which took huge strides away from the typical formula for that genre, it's also like a living museum of all things Nintendo. Every inch of Smash Bros is packed with fanservice, that's why Nintendo fans love it. Plus, people just love crossovers of all their favorite characters

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

I'll get both the 3DS and Wii U versions :)

I hope Mii's are playable this time, even if they have pre-made attacks, just look at my Mii, such a great fighter/racer/dancer/sports player for the game, i'll blow the competition away with my final smash!!!!!!!

KingBowser

KingBowser said:

Well I can't wait for this game then. I am glad he's actually working on it this time. It'll probably be late-2013 before the game is released. I can wait though. Take your time. :)

AntiGuy

AntiGuy said:

Oh god... it's 2006 all over again... the wait might kill me this time... I feel it's gonna take a lot longer than Brawl... must.endure.the.pain.of.WAITING!

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

Cool. I know people are saying Melee was the best, and it was, considering the jump in features, graphics, slightly better controls/no trippin, and content from the one before it. Brawl was also a big jump, having slightly better graphics, more characters, a longer story mode, more collectables, more music for stages, final smashes, a weak(but still present stage editor), a try at online, etc... My point is, that even though Melee was 'better'(to me only in the controls and proportions department), they probably wouldn't be able to even make a Smash Bros. game better than Melee if they wouldn't have made Brawl. I liked Brawl more for the extra features, characters, gameplay options, graphics, and just the better improvements overall... Like I said, I think Melee was only better in the controls, and character to stage proportions, otherwise Brawl was better to me.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

As for people wanting a GCN controller for this... It's not gonna happen, so go get used to the Pro controller. GCN is gone.

Neram

Neram said:

For some reason I'm not that excited about a new Super Smash Bros. game. I don't mean to sound negative, but it just seems like the series hit its peak with Super Smash Bros. Brawl, which some people didn't even find to be as good as Melee (it's arguable Melee was the prime of the series.) So to me, it seems the Super Smash Bros. series has run its course, combine that with the fact that Namco is co-developing the game with HAL/Nintendo and that the game is going to be stretched over Wii U AND Nintendo 3DS... Well it just seems to me that they're making these new games completely out of obligation, as a crowd pleaser. Time will tell, however, but at this point I feel that I can definitely wait.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Gosh I love Sakurai. He's so hard-working and takes his creations seriously. Now that the ninty-gloves are officially coming off, we can hope the game is well underway. I'm sure its going to be incredible when it does in fact come out. Smash Bros. hype! :D

Henmii

Henmii said:

He is right! And Twitter sucks anyway!

Personally I hope he keeps his lips tied UNTILL the game is launched! Because, in the case of Brawl far to much stuff was revealed at the Dojo-site!!

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I currently can wait, as I don't have a WU yet, & I may never want one(Still have yet to actually try one). I like the idea of possible cross-platform multiplayer, possibly in 2 forms: internet cross-platform, & local(3ds would connect wirelessly directly to WU in the same room) cross-platform multiplayer. However, I have a bad feeling that Nintendo might not properly execute (to begin w/), or even flesh out all the (obvious/standard) possibilities of such a system. Sakurai leaking any info of the game, during it's development period can be, but not always has to be, detrimental to the game.

Edit: If it has flawless, or near-flawless multiplayer of both kinds: online/local, that's the main thing I want.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I hope Sakurai has learned that his ultra casual approach to Brawl didn't work out. Even casuals hated tripping and the slow pace of the game. And for the love of glob make sure the online works and offers multiple match options, with and without items. Have a ladder with ranked matches. Don't just plain ignore competitive players, or rather, DISCOURAGE competitive play, it's ridiculous in this age where competitive gaming is on the rise.

Hokori

Hokori said:

I didn't want Paper Mario as a character before, but after playing SS I think he could work

AceTrainerBean

AceTrainerBean said:

This game will be amazing I only got to play the Wii version in my mates house use to love playing multiplayer can't wait for the 3DS version!!!

KingBowser

KingBowser said:

Actually...I can wait for Smash Bros.. I don't have a Wii U yet, but at least I can play other games like Animal Crossing New Leaf and Mario & Luigi Dream Team that will keep me busy when Super Smash Bros 3DS and Wii U will be released in 2014. Besides, we might hear some information at E3 2014. Who knows?