3DS Continues To Decimate The Competition in Japan

Posted by Damien McFerran

Nintendo's handheld outsells all other platforms by more than 2.5 times

The recent release of Animal Crossing: New Leaf in Japan has enabled the 3DS to further increase its dominance in that part of the world. According to Media Create, the system shifted 167,408 units during the week of 26th November to 2nd December, bringing its lifetime sales total for Japan to an impressive 8,587,879 consoles.

Contrast those figures to Sony's struggling PlayStation Vita, which only managed to sell 11,066 units during the same time period - 4,875 less than the PlayStation Portable, its predecessor, which shifted 15,941 consoles.

In fact, the 3DS was so successful that even if you added up all the other consoles sold during that week, the 3DS would beat the total figure more than 2.5 times over.

Here's the hardware chart in full (numbers in brackets are lifetime figures):

Nintendo 3DS – 167,408 (8,587,879)
PlayStation 3 – 29,809 (8,679,266)
PSP – 15,941 (19,468,599)
PlayStation Vita – 11,066 (1,063,582)
Nintendo Wii – 5,550 (12,601,986)
Xbox 360 – 1,217 (1,607,183)
PlayStation 2 – 812 (21,828,208)
Nintendo DS – 457 (32,875,045)

[via nintendo-gamer.net, neogaf.com]

hendie001

hendie001 said:

I wish it would sell like that here in north america but thats still wicked. I feel like i have been neglecting my poor 3ds but once the new castlevania comes out i will be playing it alot more.

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

Wow! The 3DS is on a role in the land of the rising sun.
P.S. @Damo - I don't mean to nitpick, but the weekly sale number for the PS3 has a period instead of a comma.

goldbricks23

goldbricks23 said:

That's unbelievable. I wish it was selling as well over here. Quite a turn around for Japan, considering the reports of everyone playing being too interested in smart devices before the 3DS was launched.

Also the PS3 lifetime sales has to be wrong, its only couple of thousand above the PS Vita.

Edit: Seems it took me too long to write my comment considering everyone else has pointed out what I noticed too.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@SupaLewigi Well spotted, that was an error on Nintendo Gamer's part as the list was sourced from them. I've corrected it. Should have spotted something was amiss when we had the 360 outselling the PS3 in Japanese lifetime sales...

Hokori

Hokori said:

Next week we'll see how well WiiU does :) I hope ninty can pull it off in both consoles, too bad iPads are doing good here :(

Doge

Doge said:

Im not surprised. IT may be possible that it may sell more than wii u,. like i said this is possible. But only in japan. here in NA, ipad/xbox/playstation are huge competitors

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Wow, I can only imagine how much streetpass you can per minute in the main parts of Japan. Wish it was like that in NA, it would be alot more fun.

mshope10

mshope10 said:

somebody should show this to pacther and show him how irrelevant nintendo is!

he is irrelevant!

Edgy

Edgy said:

Tsk - poor use of the word 'decimate'. It means the removal of 1/10th - so unless 3SD has outsold everything by a factor of 10/1, then the headline is completely inaccurate :P

On plus side it's great to see Nintendo's handheld doing so well - I hope Wii U will be as successful!

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

i wonder if the amazing sales of the 3DS in japan may have a lot to do with the likes of animal crossing and fire emblem: awakening doing well in the software charts too. but that is incredible- it may not be selling as much outside of japan, yet it's doing so well in the mother land.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Time to release AC out of Japan already, theyre taking too much. I bet that the 3DS wont explode in sales worldwide until Gen VI of Pokemon comes to it.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@Edgy

dec·i·mate

Verb

• Kill, destroy, or remove a large percentage of.
  • Drastically reduce the strength or effectiveness of (something): "plant viruses that can decimate yields"
Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Gonna get even better there once MH4 releases. :p

If only Ultimate would skyrocket the 3DS's sales here like it did in Japan last year. :c

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

this cant be true, all the analysts are saying that handhelds are suffering :)

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

Yeah, the 3DS just outsold the PS3 in lifetime sales in Japan at this moment, also I see oshawott in the background.

kobe1724

kobe1724 said:

At least the people in Japan realize the difference between a DS and a 3DS; didn't the DS outsell the 3DS in America during Black Friday weekend? Goodness.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

The Japanese are more into handheld gaming than North Americans, but it would be nice to have half of that big success on this side of the world.

Kresslia

Kresslia said:

This is why Nintendo should have released Animal Crossing over here in time for Christmas. smh.

gundam00

gundam00 said:

@ultraraichu I totally agree! I was running errands all day today. I went downtown, the grocery store, and a shopping district, and I did not get a single StreetPass :(
The most I ever get when I'm out and about is 1. The last StreetPass I had was four months ago :O

Lobster

Lobster said:

When I was on my university campus all day, I once came home with a whopping TWO Streetpass hits. That's my most at any time.

Good news story, though! :D

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

I hope Nintendo realize it would do much better numbers than even Japan if the amount f software released for it over there was released for it here.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@ultraraichu Well I generally go to the occasional event and I will hit the "cap" more than enough for me not to be concerned about street passes for awhile.

Most conventions are a good start. The Zelda concert also gave a ton. A decent sized mall will give you a couple as well especially if it has an EB Games or GameStop.

Looks like Animal Crossing translations are taking longer than expected...

Shworange

Shworange said:

Xbox only sold 1.6 million in its lifetime in Japan! Wow. That's really shocking!

glassdarkly

glassdarkly said:

I still disagree with the use of "decimate" in the headline. Its original meaning is to reduce by a tenth, as in "decima," the Italian word for tithing (10% of your income to the church), but, yes, connotatively it has come to mean "reduce in number" or "cause harm." But is that what 3DS sales are doing — reducing the sales of the competition? I guess you could say they are metaphorically "Destroying" them, but it still seems an odd choice of word. I own just about everything on that list, for example. Nintendo's high margin in sales is not an automatic decline in the sales of others — I don't think there is an explicit causal relationship. I think more people just want a 3DS for reasons independent of the Vita. So I would say it "outsells" or "dominates" the competition, but not "decimates."

mickywill

mickywill said:

@Lobster At the Zelda concert, i got over 100 streetpass hits. Normally i only get one or two new ones a month. They are hard to come by unless you know other people that have a 3DS.

TechnoEA

TechnoEA said:

It's good to see PS3 and 3ds are selling well in Japan. If only people would buy the Vita more, it's so much fun, just wish Sony would support it more.