Talking Point: What Games Are You Playing This Weekend? - Issue Eight

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Where shall we start?

So, last time we ran one of these articles we suggested we'd try to get back to a fortnightly routine. That's one crazy aspiration too far, especially as Nintendo is intent on throwing interesting news, Nintendo Direct broadcasts and new HD consoles at us from all directions. Let's drop the promises, and say that we'll do these whenever we get around to it.

With that out of the way, we've got a big team with equally grand gaming plans for the weekend. Some are North American show-offs flouting their Wii U systems in our face — those of us in Europe aren't bitter, not at all. There's a broad variety of games lined up, however, so let's get on with it.

Anthony Dickens

This weekend I'll be blasting around the streets of Fairhaven in Need For Speed: Most Wanted on the Xbox 360, trying to become the most wanted driver before the Wii U launches next week (in Europe!).

Mike Mason

PIX3D - I'll be spinning squares into 2D pixel art in this new eShop puzzle game.

Gravity Rush (PS Vita) - This is a free download for PlayStation Plus owners now; I plan to take advantage.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations (Xbox 360) - If I get a bit of spare time I might dig into Ezio's final adventure, too.

Tom Whitehead

I've been replaying the (lengthy) campaign in Kid Icarus: Uprising recently and chasing some of the unlockable picture panels — it's an epic, fantastic game, which is all the better with a pair of headphones. I'm also planning to blast through the original Trine on PC, as well, ahead of the sequel's Wii U release next week (Europe again, obviously).

I feel like the good-old Wii needs a final run, too, so I may carry on with Kirby's Return to Dreamland, which I picked up recently and have been enjoying a lot.

Desiree Turner

It'll be Style Savvy: Trendsetters for me. I've been having a blast hooking up my regulars with Luxury duds lately, and I've got two more nights to go before I'm done with the Beginner's Contest. I'm excited to see what I get to do after that — don't spoil it for me, I want to find out for myself!

Corbie Dillard

While I've been picking at Paper Mario: Sticker Star for a week now, I'm going to try to sit down some this weekend and get in some serious playing time on the game. Really enjoying it so far, although it's not quite what I expected. In truth I probably just got a bit too used to the first two titles that had a more RPG-feel to them, but I'm enjoying the more streamlined experience it has to offer.

I've been playing quite a lot of Ikachan for our upcoming preview, so I'd also like to spend some more time with it once I get the preview finished up. Not to take anything away from the preview, but it's a rather unique and interesting game.

Katy Ellis

Sleeping Dogs (PS3) - After completing the main campaign I'm still not ready to leave the bright lights of Hong Kong, so this weekend I'll probably be scouting the alleyways for those elusive lock-boxes and health shrines, and maybe even downloading the Halloween DLC.

Virtue's Last Reward - My 3DS has been feeling a bit neglected with all this Wii U talk recently, so the release of VLR today is a good excuse to get it up and running again!

Orla Madden

I've been stuck for time lately when it comes to playing my games, but one game I always prioritise when I get a chance is Theathrythm: Final Fantasy. My mission is to get an S score on all Ultimate modes, so wish me luck! Plus with two gigs this weekend, as a drummer it helps me keep on top of my rhythm!

Andy Green

With the Wii U on the horizon I'll be honing my Mario skills by dusting off my copy of New Super Mario Bros. on the DS. I must be ready for when I make a start with New Super Mario Bros. U!

Of course I'll have to give my Wii some attention too seeing as it's the last weekend of its outstanding service. I think I'll play some Donkey Kong Country Returns, I recently finished the game but still lack all the jigsaw pieces! I think Super Smash Bros. Brawl will also have to be played at some point!

Philip J Reed

Crashmo all day every day! Then maybe some breathing, eating and sleeping if I have time.

Ron DelVillano

I'll be spending most of my weekend playing games and exploring the many new features on Wii U. My list of games really boils down to Trine 2: Director's Cut, Scribblenauts Unlimited, and Batman: Arkham City: Armored Edition.

I also picked up Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd you steal our garbage?! for the 3DS, and I'm really excited to dig into that one as well this weekend, assuming I have the time. And I might squeeze in some Left 4 Dead 2, if I'm feeling up for it.

Morgan Sleeper

It's a Wii U weekend here! Along with squeezing in as many rounds of Nintendo Land and Chasing Aurora with family as possible, I'll be running Rabbids Land, Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two, and Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion through their paces for reviews. If I get any extra time, I'll be working my way up the contest ranks and sprucing up my online store in Style Savvy: Trendsetters - see you runway cats in the Fashion Plaza!

Martin Watts

Most of my free gaming time this weekend will be dedicated to Halo 4 and Call of Duty: Black Ops II. The latter is a bit unusual for me as I don't usually opt for COD games, but I've finally succumbed to its addictive gameplay after my housemate picked up a copy the other day.

That doesn't mean that I've turned traitor and abandoned Nintendo completely! In fact, during my travels throughout the week I've gotten stuck into Star Wars: Battlefront - Elite Squadron on DS, which I'll stick with for a bit longer. It's not a particularly good game, but there's something soothing about the mindless running and gunning.

The highlight of the week, meanwhile, was getting to finally try out Paper Mario: Sticker Star at the Paper Mario Pop-Up Diner earlier this week. I absolutely love how the game looks and I'm looking forward to getting my grubby mitts on it next month.

So there you have it, our weekend gaming plans laid bare. Tell us what you'll be playing in the comments below.

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

My nostalgic marathon is well underway to help pass the time till my Wii U arrives in just 1 week :D
Currently playing Rayman for GBA and over the course of the weekend I'll dust off Mega Man for NES on Saturday and for Sunday I'll get (re)stuck into LoZ WW ;)

KodyWB-98

KodyWB-98 said:

Currently, I'm playing Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, but I may squeeze in Adventure Time if there is time.

TheRavingTimes

TheRavingTimes said:

I recently bought Pokemon Conquest but I'm worried if I start playing I may not be able to get back to my studies. I guess I'll be playing Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracles yet again.

MegaWattsAdmin

MegaWatts said:

@TheRavingTimes - you would be right about Pokémon Conquest! I'm not a massive fan of Pokémon but when I started playing Conquest earlier this year I got hooked very quickly. It really is a great crossover!

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Just grabbed PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale to hold me over until the next Smash Bros. rolls around. :)

Bobhobob

Bobhobob said:

I have a Wii U in my house, but I can't play it until my HD TV arrives either tomorrow or Sunday,so I'll be giving the Wii it's last run with Super Mario Galaxy 2, Rayman Origins and Mario Kart Wii. GOING OUT IN STYLE!
Whenever my Wii U comes, it will then be Nintendo Land marathon, maybe some Little Inferno if I can find the money.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

I was supposed to be playing metroid prime, but my wii stopped reading disks :/

Instead ill play majoras mask on the VC meanwhile I find a way to play games again... :(

tmluis

tmluis said:

Got my Wii U this morning...... cant wait to play... !!!! HURRY UP UPDATE !!!!

sonic_brawler95

sonic_brawler95 said:

Mostly New Super Mario Bros. U. And if my 3DS is really lucky, maybe some Crashmo or Paper Mario Sticker Star, and maybe Donkey Kong: Original Edition if Nintendo sends me the code this weekend...

JJtheTexan

JJtheTexan said:

I feel bad for you Europeans / Brits (as I understand it, most British citizens do not like to be called European)... I'll be locked in my apartment with my Wii U and Nintendo Land / New Super Mario Bros. U. ;)

Marios-love-child

Marios-love-child said:

Believe it or not we're having a retro night

Got 3 friends coming round from work and we plan to play on the Super Nintendo all night 😃

4 player multitap bomber man here we come

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

@Marios-love-child Good man. Where's my invite?

I'm gonna stick to trying to finish the tricky Ninja Gaiden this weekend, where there's a will, there's a way! In between I'll be re-running through Kirby's Dream Land 2. And next weekend..... Wii U!!! rubs hand with glee

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

My Wii U GamePad is looking at me.... saying, "Turn me on. Just for a bit. See the pretty drawrings people have made. Give them a "yeah." Play some NSMBU if you feel up to it.... and there's this oddity Little Inferno on my home screen. What's that all about? Open it up and play. I'm here waiting..."

bonesy91

bonesy91 said:

WiiU: Nintendoland, finishing Little inferno and possibly getting ZombieU

PS3: If part comes tomorrow, gonna let my sister finish Walking dead (game of the year hands down. :) )

3DS: Colors 3D and Inchworm animation studio.

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

@CosmicMii is playing...

3DS: Mario Kart 7, Heroes of Ruin, Colors3D and Zen Pinball
Wii: New Super Mario Bros, Super Mario bros 25th Anniversary & Wii Sports Resort.

MikeDanger

MikeDanger said:

Dead Space 2(PS3), Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans(DS), and Pokemon Ruby (Cubone replacing starter run).

justinj42

justinj42 said:

Hey Morgan! I saw you on Miiverse! You yeah'd my post. It really is a small world.

Crystalking18

Crystalking18 said:

Since I just got a Vita, I may dig into that a bit. Until then, I'm gonna try and plow through Persona 2: Innocent Sin

Xilef

Xilef said:

Since my little brother is taking our PS3 controllers for a sleepover this weekend i'll be stuck playing whatever i have. And most of the games i'm playing right on is on the PS3... Anyway, probably going to play some Pokemon White 2 and probably some Wii.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Nintendo Land, The Last Story, FF: 4 Heroes of Light, MLB The Show '12 and probably other stuff too.

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Just finished playing Zero Escape on 3DS, so I'm going back to the 360 for a little while. I will be playing Sonic and Sega All Stars racing Transformed and maybe Dead Island.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

I am going up to London tomorrow to try out one of the Wii u demo units, so that'll be fun :)

I'll also be finishing off Star Wars Forced Unleashed (got that game is bad, but I'm literally right at the end and I just want to get it over with), as well as maybe some Pokemon wifi battles with a friend, and maybe I'll start Demon's Souls and playing Kingdoms of Amalur after a VERY long hiatus with that game.

Bobhobob

Bobhobob said:

@tmluis oh.... right. no mail on sunday.
>:[ looks like i'm waiting til Monday unless I get lucky and it arrives tomorrow

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

I'll be playing a mix of Nintendo Land and Kid Icarus: Uprising. Maybe a bit of Wii as well.

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

Jak and Daxter HD Collection, Ratchet and Clank HD Collection, Little Big Planet Karting, Skylanders Giants and Epic Mickey 2.

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

I cannot wait for the 3DS Miiverse release! :D
I hope it comes this Christmas but something tells me it wont :(

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Mainly Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros. U, the only Wii U games I have right now.

mega

mega said:

Mmmmm... I'll be finsihing up Super Metroid and maybe play Link to the Past. Might also play Black Ops. :)

SirSmugleaf

SirSmugleaf said:

Even though it isn't Nintendo related, I just bought a whole heap of games off Steam for the autumn sale, so ill be playing a LOT of them!

TheN64Dude

TheN64Dude said:

I'm gonna do some adventuring in New Super Mario Bros. U
Gonna finish up my quest in Minish Cap on 3DS and defeat Vaati.
and finally I'm gonna screw around in Knuckles Chaotix on my new 32x and maybe play some Doom.

hendie001

hendie001 said:

Zombie u, blops 2, batman arkham city, nsmb u, and some nintendo land. WOW what a weekend.

Malic

Malic said:

Zombiu is surprisingly good despite the mixed reviews. And darksiders 2 is great I can't put it down

kobe1724

kobe1724 said:

I would be playing New Super Mario Bros. U, but we aren't allowed to open it until Christmas. We bought the deluxe set today; we didn't want to risk it being sold out. So now it's just sitting in our closet, hidden from my little sister, and then it will make a grand appearance on Christmas Day. 1 month can't go any faster right now...

Malic

Malic said:

@kobe1724 yeah man can't wait to play super Mario brothers u , I have it just waiting to play it with friends and family

Malic

Malic said:

@hendie001 how is batman on the Wii u ? Any issues? That was gonna be my next purchase basically I just wanna know how the controls are ? And how's the frame rate ?

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

Playing Nintendo land, Ys book II, and maybe La mulana, boulder dash and mappy If i could get some wii points

Pierceton

Pierceton said:

I will be playing nano assault and Nintendoland on my Wii U in the states might jump on some Halo 4 for the 360 and Kid Icarus multiplayer for the 3DS. By the way it makes me very happy to see how open minded this site is to other consoles considering this is a Nintendo based site

MAB

MAB said:

The original Zombi on my Amiga 500 in preparation for the awesomeness that is gonna be next week. Thanks to them good old XCOPY disk marauder days I have been sifting through boxes of pirated Amiga greats... Don't tell Commodore ;)

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

I'll be up to some Mario Kart 7 at the streetpass meet, likely some Tetris Axis and Theatrhythm multiplayer as well.
I expect my KI:U mood is kicking in again, so I'll break that out at some point, might even look for oppenents tonight, I've just replaced one of my weapons today and I built a new one last weekend.
After that I must play Yu-Gi-Oh! Dark Duel Stories, Pokemon Red, Pokemon Silver and Pokemon Trading Card Game in the prep for a Gameboy 3DS meet.

Sup

Sup said:

It's a week until my Wii U arrives (Australia), so spending my gaming time going for all golds in Trackmania platform mode, and maybe some Rayman Origins.

Konata

Konata said:

Ill be playing paper mario sticker star, I have been letting my brother play so I haven't gotten much play time.

Void

Void said:

Probably Nintendo Land, NSMB.U, Paper Mario Sticker Star, and Madden 13 if I get tired of the rest.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Assassins Creed III, Paper Mario 3DS, Pokemon Black 2, Trine 2, and Nintendoland (with the wife, gotta give her some attention too right?).

arrmixer

arrmixer said:

Gonna play NSMB.U, some Nitendo Land must finish the dokeny kong course!!! and I'm hook on Trine 2 and Nano Assault at the moment. :)

Emaan

Emaan said:

Wii U weekend for me! I'm playing Nintendo Land, along with taking on Victory Road in Pokemon White 2. :D

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Adventure Time: The game is extremely short. So it shouldn't take the whole weekend to beat.
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask: I'm on what I believe to be the final chapter, so it shouldn't be hard to bet that either.
Nintendo Land: It's hard to get my hands off this title.

BrightShadows31

BrightShadows31 said:

looks like ill be playing kid icarus again. then a few rounds of Brawl. (they ought to really actually start developing Smash on 3DS/Wii U already!)

Malic

Malic said:

@Tsuchiya I absolutely love it, its a true gem . if you like Zelda or god of war you will enjoy this mix those two games and add a lil RPG elements and you have darksiders 2 better than the first my only real complaint is its a lil on the easy side but I think you can up the difficulty which I will do on my second play through

ArcanaXVI

ArcanaXVI said:

In no particular order: Pokemon Black 2, Virtue's Last Reward, Nintendo Land, and ZombiU.

Wintendo

Wintendo said:

Hmm, well today I decided to start over in Animal Crossing: City Folk (hadn't really gotten far in it, anyways), played a little Super Smash Bros on VC, and I've been playing the first Epic Mickey (I kinda abandoned it after my nunchuck broke, but I got a new one! :D). Later, I wanna play Pkmn Black 2 (I got it 2 weeks ago, and have barely touched it), Alphabounce on Dsiware (After I transferred it from my Dsi to my 3DS I haven't played it much), and possibly Kid Icarus: Uprising and Dylan's Rolling Western... or whatever game I feel like playing :D

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I am having fun playing New Super Mario Bros U and Nintendo Land on my Wii U. If I have time for it I'll play some Paper Mario: Sticker Star and Pokemon White Version 2.

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

Hey! You made the thumbnail look like there was going to be a video! For shame, Thomas! Shame on you!

Jumpman

Jumpman said:

I'll be finishing up Vigilante 8: Second Defense over the weekend along with Snake Eater 3D.

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

@Tsuchiya If you feed the trolls, they just come back for more.
(Looks up Style Savvy: Trendsetters)
[url=http://youtu.be/ztVMib1T4T4][/url]

Metal_Slugger

Metal_Slugger said:

Wii games and wii virtual console games on my wii U. Plus downloading all the games the transfer missed from my sd card. Good to go now finally! Donkey Kong country returns looks awesome in 1080p up conversion. Seemed like all the games I tried so far look better they fit the screen better. Wii games that is virtual console is about the same I haven't tried any wiiwares yet. Earlier got some Mario Kart going on, and excite bike. I am loving Donkey Kong though can't believe I didn't spend more time with that before.

Squashie

Squashie said:

For me, it will be Paper Mario: Sticker Star, PIX3D and a bit of Spirit Hunters Inc. and I may have a quick go of my Wii.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm playing through Metroid Prime 3: Corruption on the Metroid Prime Trilogy disc, since I had a dream about it. Also trying to do a "don't kill anyone" run through of Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D on "extreme" difficulty. I'll probably try to play some Fallbloxs too. Oh & some Metal Gear Solid (GBC) as well. My tastes change sometimes hence I play whatever I feel like at the time, rather than trying to sit down with 1 game at a time until it is finished, which I try to do.

Kujo1597

Kujo1597 said:

Tales of Eternia on my PSP but I hope to also get in some Persona 4 Arena playing too. I don't have a VITA so I can't play Golden. :/ But I'm really in the mood for something Persona 4 related that isn't the original game since I'll be playing Golden soon enough. :3

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

i seriously thought this was going to be another one of those disney videos again -_-

mookysam

mookysam said:

@Kujo1597

I'm currently playing through Persona 4 on the PS2 (about 70 hours in). Awesome game. Very, very good localisation and super JRPG-cum-social sim gameplay. :D I think I prefer it to P3P.

Also playing Pokemon White 2, which seems to be taking me forever. As soon as I'm done with that I might give OoT 3D a quick runthrough before playing Final Fantasy VIII on my PSP.

Malic

Malic said:

@ogo79 lol love Simons quest its actually my favorite castlevania also has some of the best music in any video game

baba_944

baba_944 said:

Donkey Kong Country. How the heck can I get pass Millstone Mayhem? I passed it once and it is hard as heck. And getting Paper Mario Sticker Star for Christmas! And getting me an Atgames Plug n play game system that can play old SEGA cartridges games. And Playing Sonic MEGA Collection Plus for PS2 once my dad fix my controller.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

Batman:Arkham City Armored Edition today, such an amazing game. Then some Nintendo Land and maybe something else tommorow.

Aloth

Aloth said:

Final fantasy 4 heroes of light and sine mora, maybe snes prince of persia on the wii

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

After conquering the greatness that was Xenoblade Chronicles, my weekend will be filled with Code of Princess on the 3DS and The Last Story on Wii... my swansong before I finally land my WiiU.

Vehemont

Vehemont said:

Lets see.... Pokemon White 2 (DS), SWTOR (PC), NSMBU (Wii U), Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed (Wii U), Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge (Wii U), Mass Effect 3 (Wii U) and maybe some Skyrim (PC). Oh and I may decide to play my SNES at some point as well for DKC action.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Huge list... WiiU: Mario, Sonic Racer, Scribblenauts, Ninja Gaiden 3, NintendoLand, Epic Mickey 2, Trine 2, ZombiU, Black Ops 2. Xbox 360: Halo 4, Black Ops 2. PS3: Need for Speed Most Wanted. 3DS: Paper Mario

Chomposaur

Chomposaur said:

Last week i had 3 bags of Doritos a 6 pack of Pepsi and a Mega Man Marathon, completed MM 1,2,3,4,5,9 and 10 X1 and X2 all on the Wii VC and now just started playing Resident evil 1 Remake on the Wii, up to the Sharks Lol.

although come Friday .. I will be playing NSMBU, Zombie U and Black Ops 2 :-D