SUMO Digital Invites Fans To Campaign for Sonic Racing DLC Characters

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Now that's a challenge

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is one of many Wii U launch titles, though it provides the sole source of racing fun for early adopters in North America. Of course the Wii U version, like its compatriots on Xbox 360 and PS3, will be open to potential DLC as the months pass by, and Sumo Digital's Steve Lycett has taken to the SEGA forums to give fans a chance to get involved.

While giving no cast-iron guarantees of success, Lycett has invited fans to petition for three characters that they'd like to see added to the game, and he'll present the results to SEGA; his only demand is that the supporters organise a legitimate way to choose the three, and that each has at least 1000 individual votes. The organisation and policing of the process has been left to forum members.

Still, if you give fans a chance like this they seem to organise themselves well. Forum member TB took up the challenge and has established the rules, while also setting up petition pages for 26 characters. The response has been impressive, as according to the latest update from 21st November — four days after voting started — the current top three characters have already each passed the 1000 votes mark; these are Segata Sanshiro, Hatsune Miku and Ryo Hazuki.

The petitions will be open until 1st December, and participants can vote for as many characters as they like; of course only one vote per character is allowed, and duplicates will be deleted. If you want to join in and have your say, head over to the petition page.

Thanks to Ian for the tip.

[via forums.sega.com]

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

That selection is terrible. It reads like a reject list nevermind characters you'd want included. Bonanza Bros... ugh

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

@Tsuchiya
I believe you have the option to vote for any character you request... as long as Sega can obtain the permission to use the character, anything goes. My vote would be for Toejam and Earl but I don't have the game and probably won't so I don't see a point in voting.

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

This is pretty cool. It's nice that they are asking fan opinions for DLC characters.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

I would vote for blaze the cat, but sadly it probably won't happen due to the internet craziness going on.

HammerBr0

HammerBr0 said:

I would actually like Billy Hatcher, Ristar, and The ChuChu's!
That's my opinion though <:)

Kagamine

Kagamine said:

My vote would be easy. Hatsune Miku!
I will actually buy this game, which I previously no intention of getting, if Hatsune Miku is added.

GeePers

GeePers said:

Ryo Hazuki all the way!!!

Although, before they do DLC I'd like to see them fix a few more issues with the game. :P

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Phantom R from Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure all the way :D Such an amazingly innovative game, way more people need to enjoy that game. I really hope more people vote for Phantom R, he really deserves to be in more games for sure.

madgear

madgear said:

Has to be the cop car from Streets of Rage (if that's Axel's car). When you do your special, all the other characters turn back and forth on the spot.

seronja

seronja said:

Ryo Hazuki, Bayonetta, Toe Jam & Earl and Sam from vanquish! they would be awesome =)

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

miku, jacky bryant from virtua fighter, bayonetta, ryo from shenmue, axel from streets of rage and the cop car, phantom R for me :-D

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

Billy Hatcher, Alex Kidd and Ryo Hazuki as they should all have been in the game already.

How about DLC that let's us remove that NASCAR woman and Wreck It Ralph? Neither of them should be anywhere near this game.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Alex Kidd has data on the disc, he's apparently going to be DLC or something down the road.

As for me, I would like to see Ristar made playable most of all. Making him the flagman was just odd. I also voted for the Chu Chus for my friend!

meppi

meppi said:

Already voted. Figured Segata Sanshiro was a given, I voted for Sakura as I loved the Saturn outings. :)

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

All good calls from above posts. Would love Phantom R in this game. Big fan of Rhythm Thief. Think the priority should be to patch up the apparant bugs on the Wii U version though - PLEASE ;)

Sun

Sun said:

Just fix the game bugs!! I want to buy it when they are fixed:

Gamespot review:
'Boost Race events are broken to the point where they are impossible to complete.
Battle mode simply does not work as intended. On one stage, players spawn in the middle of space and fall to their deaths until you quit or the game ends. On most others, players spawn practically on top of each other'.

ReshiramZekrom

ReshiramZekrom said:

If I were signed up, I would choose:

Phantom R (seems cool, would probably boost a bit of sales on Rhythm Thief)
Opa-Opa (because he was there last game)
Billy Hatcher (because he was there last game)

I would have picked Toejam and Earl too if I were allowed to pick 4.

Is there any word for DLC for the 3DS version?

Mattiator

Mattiator said:

No! Don't even TALK about Tails Doll. Let that cursed figure die out in obscurity.

Pac-Suit

Pac-Suit said:

So it can be from any Sega game, developed or published?. If that's the case, I'm very disappointed nobody has campaigned for Arnold Palmer.

manic221

manic221 said:

@Spark_Of_Spirit you may have discovered this by now but Alex the Kid is a hidden Christmas present for fans who buy the game :) he'll become available to you when the date of your console is on or after the 25th of December you can change the date to unlock him but if you change it back he will disappear again... Like I said I'm sure you've discovered this by now but if you haven't or anyone reading this doesn't know happy holidays :)