Rumour: SEGA Looking To Bring Classic Titles To 3DS eShop

Posted by Andy Green

Space Harrier coming first?

The 3DS eShop is the perfect place for old favourites from yesteryear to gain a new lease of life, and rumour has it SEGA has made plans to port some of its biggest classic titles to the service.

According to gamer.ne.jp, SEGA is bringing the extremely popular arcade title Space Harrier to the 3DS in what will be known as 3D Space Harrier - an updated version of the game that takes full advantage of the 3DS and its capabilities.

Space Harrier is an on-rails shooter produced by Yu Suzuki which originally launched in arcades in 1985. It spawned several sequels, including Space Harrier II on the Mega Drive. Interestingly - if the rumour is true - it will mark the second time the game has been released in 3D. A special edition for the Sega Master System used the console's SegaScope 3D glasses to create an impression of depth.

What do you think to this rumour? Which other SEGA classics would you like to see on the 3DS? Let us know in the comments below.

[via gamer.ne.jp, neogaf.com]

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

This would be very, very cool. "Afterburner 2" and "Galaxy Force 2" anyone?

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

I'd like to see some classic SEGA titles hit the eShop. I haven't been able to play many of SEGA's well known oldies (except Sonic ;) ), so this would be the perfect way to experience them.

seronja

seronja said:

this is great news =D i would also love alex kidd, streets of rage and gunstar heroes on the 3DS e-shop very much =D it just prove's SEGA does what Nintendon't haha xD

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

This is a great example of breathing new life into a classic. I have never actually owned the original in any form, but I would seriously consider a purchase if it was re-mastered in 3D!

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

And If we can make requests, I'm still waiting on Soleil/Crusdaer of Centy to see a digital release, but I'd take 3D Shining Force any day!

Gustoff

Gustoff said:

Awesome if this is true! Day one buy for me. I also agree with some of the other titles above:
-Alex Kidd
-Afterburner (Day 1 buy)
-Outrun (Day 1 buy)

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

This is a perfect idea for the 3DS and about time. Also release Outrun and Powerdrift in 3D

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

I never had a Sega and always wanted to try Alex Kidd! Bring it Nintendo. All the Sonic home console games as well, please :D More 3D classics!! I bought 3 of them, so obviously I thought some were cool.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

So SEGA are pretty much making their own 3D Classics?
Awesome I suppose...we shall have to see. >.>
Maybe some good games will come later?

Takosuke

Takosuke said:

As long as it's the arcade version.

I loved the brief stint in the E-Shop where they produced quality ports of arcade games in 3D. Seems so long ago.

Hybrid

Hybrid said:

Mickey Mouse's Illusion series!
The timing is perfect, with Power of Illusion just out in NA :-)

Windy

Windy said:

Bring it on! Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Outrun, Sonic there is a list of greats that should definately be a part of the 3ds virtual console. Hopefully they would consider making a couple games 3d classics

Windy

Windy said:

Btw Castle of Illusion would be a nice edition since this new game was the size of a demo at retail price Shameful!

slidecage

slidecage said:

shining force day 1 even at 20

same with dragon force BUT is the 3ds big enough to do a dragon force game

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Sonic 1-Knuckles remastered in 3D. I will buy all of them SEGA. 10 DOLLARS A PIECE.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Gimme Vectorman 1 & 2, Comix Zone, Sonic 1-3 and Knuckles, Streets of Rage 1-3, Shining Force I-2, Phantasy Star 1-4, and Gunstar Heroes all in 3D.

RIKANA

RIKANA said:

All Castle of Illusion, Golden Axe, and Altered Spirit for me. Maby the Power Rangers games, Pagemaster, and batman games.

but this looks like a lot of fun if Rumours are to be true :3

Spooky

Spooky said:

It'd have to be Afterburner for me, seems a perfect fit for 3D. Space Harrier is a good choice to start with too. 3D aside i would love me some retro Phantasy Star on the go!

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

Versions of Afterburner, Space Harrier, Hang On and my favourite game ever, OutRun, would be great additions to the 3DS e-shop. I was a big SEGA fan from the Master System onwards!

MAB

MAB said:

CHAKAN
Mutant League Hockey/Football (online play)
Micro Machines 2 Turbo Tournament (online play)
Road Rash (online play)

xj0462

xj0462 said:

ya space harrier
how bout after burner
or super thunder blade
or sonic CD
or even the original virtua fighter
or even

GamerFromJump

GamerFromJump said:

Create a release list in 5 steps:
1) Start with a list of all Genesis games.
2) Delete all titles found on "Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection" (No reruns!)
3) Delete all titles released for Wii VC (Ditto)
4) Delete all duplicate titles (that were basically the same on GEN and SNES)
5) That's your release list. Get to it.