Nintendo Teams Up With Disney For "Wii U Showdown"

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Get ready to cringe

With Nintendo's quest to appeal to an extraordinarily wide range of gamers, it'll be susceptible to using marketing or adverts that make the older, jaded or more cynical amongst us gnash our teeth. These celebrity-based adverts can often be categorised as good, bad or cringeworthy, and we think another candidate for the latter has emerged onto the scene.

A partnership with the Disney Channel gives us the "Wii U Showdown" commercial featuring characters from Jessie and Kickin’ It, shows admittedly not well known by those of us in Nintendo Life towers — or, it seems, games writers in general. Judging from some of the more positive comments on YouTube, these teen sitcoms seem to have a good number of fans.

The showdown brings us two stars playing Takamaru's Ninja Castle from Nintendo Land, with lots of enthusiastic noise making and smack talking going on at the same time. More celebrity endorsements won't do Wii U any harm with the right demographics, though we imagine plenty will watch this video through their fingers.

[via nintendo-gamer.net]

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@KaiserGX Thanks for that!

But seriously, we post as we see, if a Wii U advert with teen-sitcom stars was originally posted four days ago, we won't lose sleep over it.

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

Not this article. Then again I don't come here for the news. All bout them reviews, interviews and talking points.

Emaan

Emaan said:

To me, this is fine. Yeah, the commercial is insanely cringeworthy and cheesey. However, it suits Disney Channel and its audience perfectly. Kids will love this, and it'll get that "Mom! Dad! Can I get this for Christmas please?? It looks so cool!" reaction Nintendo wants out of kids going into the holiday season.

I still think the commercials so far haven't been that great, but that's from a gamer's perspective. We aren't the audience Nintendo needs to get to buy the Wii U. For the most part, Nintendo just needs to release the good games and gamers will buy. I've bought the latest Nintendo game regardless of the commercial because I already was informed of its existence and I'm already a fan of Nintendo's games. Both usually aren't present traits in an average consumer, and Nintendo can't expect to get success on the Wii U with their fans only.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Whether it's to your taste or not, the fact is that Disney has a HUGE audience, and if this drums up interest and sells more consoles, more games of all stripes will be made, which is good for all. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the marketing efforts Nintendo is putting together.
[@Emaan posted while I was writing this] — Yeah, what he said.

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

It's not your fault that the commercial was awkward, Wii U. ALL Disney Channel adverts are cringeworthy. Cheer up! :)

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

I'm not upset about odd adverts. It's better than no adverts at all.

Besides. This commercial tells parents that the Deluxe Wii U comes with a game. That will seem cheaper to them.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

i don`t see what the big deal is...i know at least one of those disney kids and i love her and her shows...she was on suite life on deck, she played bailey and has a new show called Jessie. I`m a big Disney fan.

Tobias95

Tobias95 said:

Realy Nintendo? the shows over on Disey Channel are terrible. My sister like to watch it and its just unfunny crap. Old Disney cartoons like Ducktales and Chip and Dale or Darkwing Duck for that sake is much better

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@Emaan Eh, you have a point. Your average gaming nerd is probably not gonna be watching the commercials on Disney Channel. Kids will, though, and those are the ones this commercial was meant for.

Doesn't stop it from making me want to puke, though.

Magicpegasus

Magicpegasus said:

The headline made me think that there was a SSBB-style Disney beat-em-up game in the work featuring Nintendo characters.

doctor_doak

doctor_doak said:

What's even worse than this ad, is the realization that some of these kids are going to be flooding the airwaves and music TV with their godawful pre-fabricated pop music in the coming years. They are the stars of tomorrow..

Responsible parents would simply bar their children from watching the Disney channel if they harbour any hopes of them growing up to be interesting, reflective and intelligent adults..

This ad makes me feel almost embarrassed to even want a Wii U.

Klunk23

Klunk23 said:

Why does Disney have to ruin everything. LIke their probally going to do to Star Wars. I feel that if Walt Disney himself came back to life he personally would go on a killing spree and kill everyone on every single one of Disney Channels Shows. Then go to Russia and light himself on fire (I'm not quite shure why he would do that... he just would)

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

This doesn't surprise me because EVERYTHING on Disney Channel is terrible, still don't understand how kids like that stuff.

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

Well... thanks for your contribution, Disney. I guess.

Hey, at least this will reach the kiddie audience and hopefully lead to system sales, right?

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

UGH!! -___- did they have to go there disney ruins everything come one O:< not only was i not expecting anything but its so cheesy too and the slow mo wth

but ok fine at least does show a bit more of the gameplay and mini game but still idk how ppl even watch disney xd channel

LeftoverLunch

LeftoverLunch said:

"Let the powning commence" arrrrrrg it's cod 4 all over again!
One of the funniest things i ever heard was a squeaky voiced kid tell me i just got "powned" over xbl!

XD375

XD375 said:

Not buying a Wii U until a Suite Life on Deck game with online multiplayer comes out.