New Super Mario Bros. 2 Players Have Snagged Over 300 Billion Coins

Posted by Damien McFerran

Nintendo Direct delivers the happy news, DLC launched to celebrate

Nintendo Japan released a new Nintendo Direct presentation yesterday in which president Satoru Iwata announced that over 300 billion coins had been collected by New Super Mario Bros. 2 players worldwide.

To mark the proud occasion, a DLC level pack has been made available free of charge - but it's exclusive to Japan for the time being [EDIT: We've had reports that this is now live in Europe as well]. On January 31 2013, the Golden Classic Course Pack will revert to the usual DLC cost of ¥200.

The pack itself is a celebration of past Mario titles, and features a number of classic courses - some of which were selected by fans. Below is the English version of the presentation for your viewing pleasure:

[via vg247.com]

Hybrid

Hybrid said:

I'm curious, can I download the DLC from the eShop?
I don't own the game yet, but I might pick it up at a later time....

Mreow

Mreow said:

Funny to see this statistics:) And not "1billion people killed on black ops 2"

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

I was actually hoping we would have levels similar to the Golden Classic Course.
But how come none of the levels are from SMB2? That game needs more respect.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

This is some seriously cool DLC, there's a lot of surprises to be found and all kinds of memorable details are not forgotten.

It's also quite easy to get 30k on this pack, I really recommend you grab this pack whilst you can.

goldbricks23

goldbricks23 said:

I'm from N.Ireland and I've got it. Great pack- didn't do so well on the coin count on my first go. Looking forward to playing this pack more. As others have said, there's a few nice surprises. Can't wait to find them all!

rjejr

rjejr said:

Good to see this game hasn't faded away yet as my kids are getting it for Christmas. Just in time for our 12 hour drive the next day.

Free is good.

idork99

idork99 said:

Got it here in North America! There was no message but went directly to the shop in coin rush mode and there it was. Nice to receive some free DLC love from Nintendo in the form of Mario retro goodness.

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

I downloaded it and it is very cool. It's jam packed with secrets, coins, and shout-outs to previous games. Thanks Nintendo! :)

Emaan

Emaan said:

So this is in fact available in North America as well? This is really great! Its really cool to play some classic levels for a change. Is it remixed music as well? :O

Klimbatize

Klimbatize said:

Oh rad. This is a pleasant surprise. I've enjoyed the DLC levels so far, and I was hoping they'd remake some retro ones. Didn't think it would actually happen though.

3.5 million coins and counting for me.

Nardar

Nardar said:

If it hasn't said already you can download it in NA as well! I just played it.

Daz-brum

Daz-brum said:

I got an email today from Nintendo telling me of free levels looks like UK gets the deal too!!

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

oh NOW they give us free DLC. >.>
Haven't played this game in a while...need to get this before it goes back to $2.

kobe1724

kobe1724 said:

yup, it's available in North America now, downloaded it, and I have to say, it has a lot of little secrets, I have yet to find all the star coins yet.

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

Wow thank u Nintendo! This is a throw-back to the classic Mario. It definitely left me feeling very nostalgic plus the amount of secrets added are ridiculous!!! I feel like i did when i first played Mario on my brothers NES. This is a must have!!!!

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Just got the message today. Went to download it immediately... The server's under maintenance... Great... Well, I have plenty of time.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

free DLC? Now that's the Nintendo way! Three awesome levels btw, love 'm.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

just got it over here in canada i see potiental to beat my own total record as regular mario compared to getting near 10 000 with raccoon mario from the star course

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

Well, I am going to have to get my copy of New Super Mario Bros 2 before the 31st of January ;)

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I just downloaded it. Awesome epicness! I'm definitely using this one for my streetpass records...