Mega Drive RPG Classic Pier Solar Could Be Headed To Wii U

Posted by Damien McFerran

Kickstarter campaign for HD version at 50% after just 3 days

Back in 2010, indie developer WaterMelon created an all-new RPG for the Sega Mega Drive (Genesis to US readers) called Pier Solar and the Great Architects. An incredible achievement in itself, the game soon found a cult audience thanks to its gorgeous 2D visuals and gripping story line, leading some sites to compare it to Phantasy Star II and Secret of Mana.

Now, WaterMelon - the team behind Magical Game Factory - is keen to bring the role-player to a new audience, and is using Kickstarter to fulfill this ambition. The company recently launched a campaign to create a HD edition of the game for Xbox 360, PC, Mac and Dreamcast - although the last one of those systems obviously won't benefit from the high definition face-lift.

The target is $139,000, and at the time of writing the developer has already secured more than 50% of that total in just 3 days - $70,728 from over 800 backers - and has a whopping 26 days to go.

The promise of a HD version of such a unique title should be enough for most retro lovers to open their wallets, but we've done a bit of snooping and have discovered an even more enticing piece of information. We asked a source close to the developer if they were considering bringing the game to Wii U, and they informed us that although a Nintendo version isn't in active development at the moment, if the Kickstarter campaign does well enough then "Wii U would be the #1 next choice".

So there you have it; support this venture now and you could well be enjoying this amazing 16-bit RPG on your shiny new Wii U in the not-too-distant future. In the meantime, feast your eyes on the updated HD screenshots below, and let us know in the comments section if you'd be interested in buying this game on your new Nintendo console.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I'd support this if it was coming to the Wii U. As it stands, I'm not going to contribute to get a copy of the game for a system I don't have or plan on getting, just for a chance I might be able to buy it again on the Wii U in the future.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

I would absolutely buy that on my Wii U. Hands down. Any RPG with those types of graphics is an almost insta-buy.

Holly

Holly said:

Wow, I had never even heard of this game, but it looks great! Would I buy it? Of course!

Knux

Knux said:

I'm hoping this comes to the Wii U's eShop or PSN, because then I would actually have to buy the Dreamcast version. Actually...screw it, I'm probably still going to get the Dreamcast version.

MAB

MAB said:

Yer just can't stop the awesomeness that is the Megadrive ;) it will always rise from the grave to take its next victim.

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

Really interesting graphical approach there. The sprites look so out of place in the scenery... I almost kind of love it... but I'm not sure.

wickhamfish

wickhamfish said:

@bro2dragons
I agree.. 'I know this isn't the finished article-just a mock up' ... But the Sprites do look shoddy compared with the landscape.
If you're going for a HD megadrive look.. then please give those Sprites a face lift

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

I'd definitely be interested in this, but can I ask a question that may or may not be stupid? Why would they develop for this game for the MegaDrive when it's been well over 15years since the last game was released for the system?

MAB

MAB said:

I don't know... Maybe it has something to do with the Megadrive being awesome ;)

AG_Awesome

AG_Awesome said:

I'd love a psn and vita version as well. Does this actually play like secret of mana or just have that art style? Havnt had a good non Ys action rpg in ages...

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Once it reaches the initial goal in a couple days or less, expect stretch goals. Sounds like Wii U will be one of those goals. Then anybody hesitating can support it with a bit less risk.

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

I absolutely love to see retro games getting the touch-up they deserve. Too bad it's a RPG, otherwise I'd be all over it!

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

if this comes to the wiiu or something i'll get this, cant do wrong with rpg games

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

Looks pretty awesome, I'd definitely give this a go on the Wii U if they delivered a good experience.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I hope they improve the sprites before it comes out, they don't look like they're of the same sort of quality as the backgrounds and areas.