Mario Kart 7 3DS XL Bundle Confirmed for North America

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Rumour drifts into truth

Less than 24 hours ago we reported two fresh 3DS rumours, which involved a standard model price cut and a new XL bundle. It didn't take long for one of them to be confirmed by Nintendo, with Holiday shoppers set to be tempted by a blue 3DS XL that also includes Mario Kart 7.

As previously reported, this bundle will have a recommended price of $199, which means that MK7 will essentially be free. The included game is pre-installed on the system, continuing the trend from the recent Flame Red 3DS and Super Mario 3D Land Black Friday deal, with a snappy box being your other bonus. Nintendo's certainly making a push with its latest handheld in various regions, with Nintendo of Europe offering a free retail game to XL owners — we're yet to see whether a similar deal will be adopted by Nintendo of America.

For those that have been on the fence about picking up a 3DS XL this bundle may be a temptation, though the rumoured price drop on the smaller model could certainly give pause for thought. What do you think of this deal, now that it's moved from rumour-ville into confirmed fact?

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I wish it was an actual price drop. I would have liked the get a 3DS XL for my son but he already owns MK7 so I was hoping that maybe the XL was going to drop to $169 or something like that.

iphys

iphys said:

I want, but I wish it were red or black or silver instead. It would be nice if they did give out a free game code to people buying the stand-alone XL, because then I'd get a red one instead.

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

If anyone has a regular 3DS and wants to do the system transfer to this 3DS XL, keep in mind that Mario Kart 7 would get deleted in the process, which really sucks.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@iphys: Yeah a download code would be nice that way you can choose the game you want. I mean honestly most people who have the original 3DS who are looking to upgrade probably already have MK7. This isnt really a deal for them.

iphys

iphys said:

I don't think the transfer deletes the software on the target system, but if you already had a digital copy of MK7 on your 3DS that you were transferring from, then you'd only be left with one digital copy of MK7 instead of it leaving the extra copy behind in the transfer process. At least I think that's how it works.

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

@iphys It does delete the software on the target system, though. I got a 3DS and 3DS XL both on their launch days, and when I did the system transfer, it deleted the Dinosaur Office app that came pre-installed on the 3DS XL and took everything from the original 3DS. So yes, MK7 won't stay unless you already got a digital copy beforehand.

Blink16

Blink16 said:

Wow I bought an XL and Mario Kart 7 about two weeks ago why Nintendo why.:(

hamae

hamae said:

Give me a white XL bundle, Nintendo. I can't stand the red or blue kiddy color!

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@Luigifan141: You should be able to redownload it if it's gone from your Home menu though — when you do a System Transfer, both eShop accounts are combined into one. It'll be there in your download history, or at least that's what all the FAQs Nintendo has about the System Transfer say.

adamical

adamical said:

@theblackdragon

In posts about the Wii to Wii U transfer process, Nintendo has specifically mentioned preloaded software as exclusions that won't be transferred.

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

@hamae Exactly. Some of us aren't 15 anymore lol. (Not saying that some 26 year olds wouldn't like a Red or Blue, but I'm sure most want a generic color such as Black, Silver, or White) Again, I'm not saying the Blue or Red isn't nice or that 15 year olds don't want a Black or White one as well, I'm just saying more color options would mean more adaptors or upgrades. I know this is true for more than just me.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@adamical:
(a) maybe it's different for the Wii to Wii U process, but everything I've read about 3DS to 3DS System Transfers has stated that provided both eShop accounts haven't been transferred five times already, both accounts will be combined and all games in both accounts will either be present on the system or available for download. Either way, mumof2kids82 has apparently asked for clarification, so i hope they respond soon :3

(b) did any Wiis come with preinstalled software? i had no idea they were including WiiWare/VC titles with certain consoles. or are they saying that any preinstalled software will be gone from a Wii U after a system transfer? because that just seems silly... now i'm all confused lol

Firebird360

Firebird360 said:

Nice bundle but I was hoping for some different colors. Loved the pink n white, would like to buy for my wife.

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

@theblackdragon
In Europe, the red Mario 25th anniversary came with the NES Donkey Kong game pre-installed. To my knowledge, no games were ever pre-installed on NA Wii's.

idork99

idork99 said:

@Blink16 If I were you, I'd contact Nintendo directly. You can let them know you're frustration and in return, perhaps, they'll give you a code to download a retail game from the eShop of your choice. I have faith in Nintendo's customer service and wouldn't be surprised if they could do something like this.

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

@theblackdragon I was just kidding with that third comment of mine, sorry about that. I do hope that we get an answer for this problem at some point down the road, though.

This is still a great deal for those who don't have a 3DS or a 3DS XL yet and want one!

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

Ooo... I like the look of this. Been needing to upgrade my launch model with one of these, but have been waiting for just the right moment. I already have a Mario Kart 7 retail copy, so if it doesn't work I'll still have that. I'll wait till we get some kind of confirmation though.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

The problem with the free digital games is I probably already have had the game in retail format for some time, with a game save that I worked my butt off on, so I would really prefer a price cut and some additional colors for me to upgrade with, rather than your "free" digital games. And I hate to think of what happens to all those future retro gamers who can't get secondhand copies of games because the market got flooded with downloads. :P

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

... And I don't own MK7 OR a 3DS XL blue... oh Nintendo, why do you torture me soooooo >_<

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

i got a reply and this is what they said
Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. It's great to hear of your interest in the Nintendo 3DS XL, and I can certainly understand your concerns. I'm pleased to confirm that when performing a system transfer from one Nintendo 3DS to another, the information from your old system is merged with the information on the new one. With this in mind, you will not lose the pre-installed copy of Mario Kart 7 on the new system.

In case you weren't already aware, it's important to keep in mind that the system transfer process requires that you have both systems in your possession. Additionally, they will both need to have an active Internet connection to facilitate the transfer. You can find more information on this process on our website:

If you have any further questions or concerns, you're welcome to contact us again.

Sincerely,