Disney Interactive Reportedly Developing A Skylanders Rival

Posted by Andy Green

To Infinity, and beyond!

Activision’s innovative Skylanders series has been a great success for the company. The multi-platform game sees the physical and virtual realms blur as physical objects are scanned into the virtual world using a peripheral known as the Portal of Power.

It seems Disney Interactive has noticed the achievements of Skylanders and wants to get itself involved in this unique genre. Stitch Kingdom, a Disney fansite, claims to have seen a video produced for retailers that shows off the new product and its features. The site says the game is now known as Disney Infinity and will be coming to Wii, Wii U, and 3DS as well as Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. It will encourage players to transport their physical characters, in the form of toys, into the virtual realm by using a flat device that connects with the console.

According to CVG a starter pack will contain a virtual reader to scan characters in, as well as three character tokens for Captain Jack Sparrow, Mr. Incredible, and star of the upcoming Pixar movie Monsters University, Sulley. Additional characters will reportedly emerge later, rumours are rife as to who they may be as Disney has an abundance of characters to choose from, not to mention those from the recently purchased Star Wars universe - Disney Infinity could well be a humongous hit.

The Wii U GamePad already has Near Field Communication technology within it and the company who developed it, Broadcom has recently stated Nintendo will be revealing more information on it very soon. The GamePad would certainly be a useful tool to implement into the Disney Infinity experience.

Are you excited about the prospect of pitting your Jack Sparrow and Darth Vader toys against each other in a virtual realm?

[via computerandvideogames.com, stitchkingdom.com]

Epicnessofme99

Epicnessofme99 said:

My thoughts are if this is executed right, it'll blow Skylanders out of the water, or at least give it a run for its money.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Well, look at the bright side: at least their version won't give a certain user's childhood hero (of many) an ugly redesign for a quick cash grab and wind up ruining their childhood in the process.

Void

Void said:

@RetroBrony91 Yeah, they won't do that.. The quick cash grab that is, this will probably see many literations if it sells good enough.
I wouldn't be surprsied if they make the characters look terrible and ruining my childhood.
We really didn't need this, or Skylanders in the first place.

Tricoloryoshi

Tricoloryoshi said:

:-? I'm not sure how I feel about this...
But if it looks cool and has stitch then I may get it. :-?
Though it would be wierd. :o

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

If this is true, I would take this over skylanders any day. THEY RUINED SPYRO IN THAT GAME AND MADE HIM AN IDIOTIC MORON! Back when I played my mother's friend's PS1, I played Spyro the dragon all day and loved it. Now that they "Redesigned him for a new audience" by making him as dumb as a stone, I hope disney doesn't do the same.

Drobotic

Drobotic said:

Activision already makes a bunch of money from CoD.If these become more popular,it won't have much effect on Activision.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

You know what I really want? A Nintendo version. Why? I want a bunch of little statues of classic Nintendo characters. :) Plus, I have hope that Nintendo would bring the game beyond simple double dragon style play.

Still Disney + Star Wars sounds pretty great, too.

iwanttodie

iwanttodie said:

ALL THE COMMENT ARE ABOUT "oh this will be good cause skylanders is bad because they ruined spyro hurr durr" SPYRO IS ONE CHARACTER IN THE GAME.
AND DISNEY IS NOT GOING TO TOP SKYLANDERS. Honestly, his design ISN'T THAT DIFFERENT. Skylanders is a good game, and you don't have to get your trousers in a twist 'cause one charecter has a change form the past. SKYLANDERS IS NOT A SPYRO GAME.

Taceus

Taceus said:

I squealed in delight upon reading about a Monsters Inc. sequel. But on topic, I'd love to play around as Cpt Jack Sparrow and (hopefully) Boba Fett in the same game.

Drobotic

Drobotic said:

Plus,with Giants being out(bigger figures),I think that Skylanders is gonna be one of the things sold out by the end of the Christmas Shopping Season.

Void

Void said:

@Skotski I admit, Stitch and Scrooge McDuck are probably my top two favorite Disney characters, and I would buy every single figure they make, if they did that.

mudjo

mudjo said:

Not convinced, but hopefully it'll be less cheesy than Skylanders.

Rogue76

Rogue76 said:

If they made this game where you could play w/ up to 4 players online, that would be pretty cool!

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

@Skotski That's what I thought they were going to do when I saw the words "Stitch Kingdom." Then I realixed it was just a website. Anyways, I have no idea what it will be like.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

@Rogue76 I agree and that's the reason why I don't have skylanders, if it had online, I might consider it, because those toys are quite expensive, but I know a lot of people who have it, so putting 2+2 together and all that stuff, idk.

JaythekidRS

JaythekidRS said:

Two things:
One, if I get this game, I'll be glad I kept my Toy Story Buzz Lightyear action figure that looks just like the one in the movie(actual expanding wings, "STAR COMMAND" on chest logo sticker, line laser lightbulb).
Two, I would prefer Skylanders over this. I don't care if Spyro's dumb as a box of rocks(heh, that rhymes), I want Skylanders SOOOO BADLY!

Skeletor

Skeletor said:

I could see this working very, very well. I could also see them using their version of the portal, and making a Princess game compatible with it, too. That version may not hold up as well - except to the bank!