Capcom Reasserts Its Commitment To Mega Man

Posted by Shaan Joshi

"You've not seen the last of the Blue Bomber on consoles and handhelds"

We've said it once, and we'll say it again: this year has not been good for Mega Man. His most recent outing — Mega Man Xover — didn't sit too well with fans, and he is sorely missing from the 3DS eShop, (though Capcom is working to rectify this).

However, in a recent interview with Nintendo Power (via Siliconera), Capcom USA senior vice-president, Chrsitian Svensson, was asked about the future of Mega Man. Here's what he had to say:

I can say with certainty that you’ve not seen the last of the Blue Bomber on consoles and handhelds, and, with luck, we’ll be celebrating his 50th anniversary, including all of the games you’re going to enjoy over the next 25 years. That said, an issue we’ve had in the past has been talking about games and announcing them before we’re certain they’re going to come out, which unfortunately has lead to profound disappointment for many fans. So for now, I’m going to have to stay mum about any details.

Mega Man's 25th anniversary is just around the corner, and while Capcom has told fans to keep their expectations in check, we can only hope for some news of the Blue Bomber's whereabouts. Fingers crossed for a 3DS compilation.

[via siliconera.com]

Chaoslink1

Chaoslink1 said:

YAY!! first comment!! :D
Anyway, I hope they make a collection of all megaman games from 1 to 10 and maybe also all the megaman x games because why not?! :) Though I don't think they would do this, it would be a great thing for many fans.

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

By saying nothing I feel like it almost confirms Megaman is not of any importance to Capcom and that they won't make anymore games for the series.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

I'm expecting disappointment. That way, if nothing good happens, I won't be annoyed for no reason; and if we get something awesome, I'll be happy. :)

It's not too late to make a comeback, Capcom.

Taceus

Taceus said:

Yes please. I'll gladly have more Mega Man for 3DS. Not holding my breath though.

Starzsixty9

Starzsixty9 said:

They already put both megaman and megaman X collections out on gamecube all that they would add is 9 & 10 they need to stop rehashing previous titles and make say a megaman 11? Or actually do Legends 3 :p im sick of buying the same games for petes sake I already have them all for NES (snes respectively) gamecube, on my phone, and as soon as NA gets them on the 3ds eshop ill probably get them too :p

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

Bringing the 6 classic NES titles to the 3DS VC would be a smart move and hopefully, they bring part 6 as well as Mega Man X3 to the Wii VC soon.

But what we all want is brand new Mega Man games (either part 11 or a new X title.)

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

I'm kinda hoping they port Maverick Hunter X and Powered up to the 3DS, so that those games have an actual audience.

Also, release all the NES/SNES Megaman games on the Wii VC, and all the NES/GB ones on the 3DS VC. Please n' thank you.

JayceJa

JayceJa said:

never really played the core megaman series, but its nice to know they are keeping such a long lived series around.

what im really hoping for however is anything like the battle network/starforce games, those i did play and ABSOLUTELY loved

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

"[Mega Man] is sorely missing from the 3DS eShop"

There's still that Gameboy game, though.

LegendaryQ

LegendaryQ said:

...so essentially, Mega Man's fallen into a niche in Capcom where they are trying to make games but none of them have a for-sure chance of being greenlighted, and therefore, Capcom isn't comfortable with announcing them?
Because that's what I'm getting from this. Gotta ask, how many Mega Man games have been shot down between the cancellation of MML3 and now?

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Mega Man Legends 3 better come in one way or another, I don't care if its release as a Wii U title or a 3DS title as long as its good. Also releasing MM Universe later would be great too. Also a new Mega Man 12 in the style of Mega Man 8 or a new Mega Man X9 in the style of the first Mega Man X in glorified HD would be awesome.

Hokori

Hokori said:

By consoles he means that new Oyua, and by handhelds he means iPad... Probably

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

No... No... Wily & Light's Rock Board 2!

Mario Party but with Mega Man characters.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

I dont doubt that we have seen the last of Mega Man titles, but that vague 'we'll make more games eventually' statement doesnt really reassert much commitment to a franchise that helped make Capcom what they are.

spoonshiro

spoonshiro said:

Still say they should loan out Mega Man Legends 3's code to another developer and get it finished. That's half the reason I even bought a 3DS!

Banjogeek

Banjogeek said:

I am betting on a another ios game.Because the last time they said a statement like this they put out a ios game.I think Capcom should just give the Megaman license to someone else and stop with the joking around.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

Well he is right. Look what happened with Legends 3. I doubt that even got beyond the planning phase

Starzsixty9

Starzsixty9 said:

What would really be nice is if capcom put out the nes ducktales games in the eshop :) capcom used to put out the best games :p (hehe its almost megaman related it used the same engine :p)

chanchandesu

chanchandesu said:

I'm still being optimistic about the whole no Megaman game soon thing. I've been quite the Megaman fan, and I'll keep hoping. :D

Bryon15

Bryon15 said:

Bah. I still don't believe it. I'm not getting my hopes up at all. Capcom needs to just sell megaman to a developer who can actually do him justice.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

I'll believe it when they actually release a new game (and not some sh*tty thing like Xover). For now, I do not trust Capcom.