Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 Live Streaming Confirmed, But Not on Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

It's "being evaluated for a future update"

Activision has confirmed that Call of Duty: Black Ops II will feature YouTube support to live stream online multiplayer League Play games, with the player's webcam and audio commentary also recorded. Those who pay for the Elite service, meanwhile, will be able to view additional info on players as they watch the action unfold.

As with the Elite subscription, however, Wii U is currently missing out on these features, with the YouTube service limited to Xbox 360 and PS3, while PC gamers will have similar streaming that isn't tied to the popular video service. An Activision representative, when quizzed by examiner.com, said that "Wii U will not have this feature at this time, but it is being evaluated for a future update".

While the Call of Duty series had a decent run of releases on Wii, they were often delayed or stripped back versions of the game — primarily due to system limitations. With Wii U, Nintendo gamers who enjoy the series are no doubt hoping to have an experience that's at least the equivalent of rival systems. It seems, however, that the details of Nintendo's online infrastructure are still being brought together, with some launch games lacking notable online functionality; the comment from Activision does, at least, open the door to a potential update that'll eventually bring the Wii U version up to par in the future.

Do missing online features like this put you off picking up Black Ops II on Wii U?

[via examiner.com, gonintendo.com]

Azooooz

Azooooz said:

As long as they polish these updates for Wii U version, I don't care.

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

Sounds like a nifty integration.

This sounds a little worrying, but Activion is still probably getting orientated with the Wii U, seeing as this version is most likely the last to be developed. It probably was in development for only a few short months. But this is only an educated guess.

At least we have little worry on it regarding whether or not the Wii U's online system has been established.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

How can you care? Its not like youre a "pro CoD player" or you want to watch people playing specifically on Wii U.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

As long as I can still shoot people in online multiplayer, I could really care less about what I'm "missing."

Suportedcofe

Suportedcofe said:

I'm just excited to finally try out cod with the wiimote since I played the previous games on the 360.

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

Eh.....It's not like the COD franchise is innovative enough for most gamers to care about it. Took over 7+ COD games just to barely do what Perfect Dark/Turok 2/ Half Life 2 already did over 8-14 years ago.....

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

Wait, Half Life 2, Perfect Dark, AND Turok 2 perfected online multiplayer long before Call of Duty?

Way to blow my mind.

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

I don't care about CoD, but the Wii U having a stripped down version of CoD is bad news. Regardless of what you think of the quality of the series, CoD is still very important, and Nintendo having a lesser version of the game is probably going to turn some hardcore gamers off the Wii U.

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

Who cares?
Seriously, who actually cares about this anymore?

I gave up a few years back when playing a live match. I just thought, "I'm bored of this. Why am I playing this?"
I switched off and never played it again. Being able to stream live appeals only to the scarily addicted and still can't disguise the same old, boring concept.

One to miss.

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

@CactusJackson

I was talking mostly about actual innovation related to gameplay mechanics, customizable options, originality, immensely creative A.I. design, weapon functions, level design, and just about everything else from the 3 games I used to compare what COD lacks.

As far as 'perfecting online' goes COD was hardly the first at attempting this. Online gaming has been going on for almost 2 decades if not more(not sure how long exactly). Especially the FPS genre.

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

None of those games retain any of what you claim. Originality? No. Creative AI design? You mean realistic AI? Call of Duty does. Weapon functions and level design is a huge check indeed.

Have you played, say, Call of Duty 4? Its level design is off the charts fantastic. No flaws, excellent balance. Its sequel also have a surplus of weapon and perk customizations/combinations.

Who truly cares who was the first at doing anything? IW succeeded with flying colors and ignited a phenomenon. What did Half Life 2 do exactly?

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

@Tsuchiya
That boring stale series perfected its own genre, became the fastest selling game series of all time, and the biggest reserved gaming franchise to date.

Must be completely boring, you're right. ZZZzzzzzz

MAB

MAB said:

HELLOOOOO LADIES!! hey baby how about you and me watch the top 100 COD trick shots on youtube tonight ;) NO! ok lets do something else :P

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

@CactusJackson: It may have perfected its own genre, but it's doing nothing to deviate from the current standstill of progression in the genre. It's literally, "run, cover, TAKATAKATAKA BOOM!" and repeat. It's only perfected upon what FPS games have been doing for years, so yes, its lack of re-invention does make it boring in some respects.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

Does anyone actually know if the Wii Remote has been incorporated as a control method as i remember reading that unless there was a decent game pad for the Wii u they wouldn't make a cod game for the system hence the new game pad was made. And if they have incorporated it have they done it properly and included the Wii motion plus. When red steel was made the control sucked but they really improved it for Red Steel 2 as did the makers of the Conduit but have Trey Arch taken the same care (I doubt it) or even included it. (Who knows)

Grocery-bag

Grocery-bag said:

@PinkSpider yes there is wii remote and nunchuck support, you also still use the game pad side-by-side as a "in game menu" to control options and settings when using these controls

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

@CactusJackson

I've played through more then half of the campaign of COD4. The level design was terrible, bland & created many extremely linear 1 dimensional moments except for a few levels(Very FEW Levels).

The 3 games I mentioned were extremely original FPS more so in that they brought allot of fresh game play ideas to the genre for their time. Devs are still using some ideas from those games to this day. And honestly...I have failed to see most modern FPS game in this modern era to come even close toward the quality standard of those 3 games besides graphics & frame rate obviously.

A.I. was straight forward in every COD, with a few programmed reactions in comparison to PD/T2/HL2. A.I. lacked depth from every COD experience I've had so far. Nothing special.

Half Life 2 was linear but had many ways to fight through a level by using your environment in various ways, branching path ways that reconnected to main pathways, Many different enemies/A.I behavior along with each one using specific different types of weapons, & revolutionary physics engine that created new gameplay possibilities.

Look, I'm not saying COD is a terrible game here, It's certainly not bad either, but it's definitely nothing amazing or unique except for the perk system. That I have to admit was the only thing keeping me playing COD online for awhile, but not for long.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

I will never take Nintendo fans seriously when they bash series on lack of innovation.

capitalism

capitalism said:

I would actually like this feature on the Wii U so I'm going to hold Activision to their word that we'll receive it in a future update. Even with this news I'm still looking forward to picking it up with my brand new Wii U. Only eight more days!!!

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

@GameLord08
You do realize that everyone knows Call of Duty doesn't innovate the formula? Not even games like Bioshock or Battlefield innovate the gameplay formula.

You're completely missing where I'm getting at. The entire point of Call of Duty is its stellar multiplayer. Which, by the way, is superb. Much better than any FPS out there, even Perfect Dark.

What are we talking about again? The AI in all three of those games are nowhere near modern standards. You're lying to yourself.

Call of Duty isn't about the offline experience. But it does appeal most of what you're saying. And if Black Ops II has anything to say, its clearly innovating the linear follow me missions most FPSs retain.

I have a feeling you've never played Call of Duty before. Or at least not long enough.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Not a feature I would use a lot but its dissapointing its not their.

Also Cod isn't stale. If it weren't we wouldn't have ton of games copying its forumla and trying to gain its praise.

Let's be honest in the console market their are really only two big shooters which are COD and Halo. We could probably add killzone as well.

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

@Haxonberik

Good point and exactly what I was thinking! Like really video games are for fun, so just play, who cares about recording your commentary and stuff. Like really?