3DS Passes Eight Million Sales in Japan
Posted by Thomas Whitehead
Turning over a new leaf
When it comes to keeping the accountants and shareholders happy, Nintendo can always point to its 3DS sales in Japan. While there's undoubtedly improvement needed in North America and, particularly, Europe when it comes to sales figures for the handheld, Nintendo's homeland consistently shows healthy sales that simply blow the competition away; that hasn't changed this week.
Much of its thanks should probably go to Animal Crossing: New Leaf, which has been flying off the shelves to the point that it was reportedly sold out. While Satoru Iwata gave a rough figure of 600,000 physical copies sold and 200,000 downloads earlier in the week, the latest Media Create Sales chart gives a total of 721,786 for its début week, which may account for sales of physical copies only. That's an impressive tally, especially when you consider that it's already over half of the lifetime Japanese sales of New Super Mario Bros. 2. In terms of the top ten software titles, 3DS games occupy three positions (lifetime sales in brackets).
01. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo) - 721,786 / NEW
02. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires (Koei Tecmo) - 67,358 / NEW
03. [PS3] Tales of Xillia 2 (Bandai Namco Games) - 39,767 (371,300)
04.  Halo 4 (Microsoft Game Studios) - 31,467 / NEW
05. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo) - 18,799 (1,347,042)
06. [3DS] Bravely Default: Flying Fairy (Square Enix) - 13,404 (245,575)
07. [PS3] Okami HD (Capcom) - 13.357 (66,068)
08. [PS3] Silent Hill: Downpour (Konami) - 12,205 / NEW
09. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 (Konami) - 11,754 (46,240)
10. [PS3] Yakuza 1 & 2 HD Edition (Sega) - 11,414 (53,811)
The release of Animal Crossing has also contributed to a surge in 3DS sales, with the system easily outselling all rival systems combined and passing the eight million sales mark.
3DS - 187,077 (Lifetime sales - 8,089,518)
PS3 - 18,043 (Lifetime sales - 8,598,255)
PSP - 12,076 (Lifetime sales - 19,423,538)
PS Vita - 4,021 (Lifetime sales - 1,029,713)
WII - 2,921 (Lifetime sales - 12,589,845)
360 - 2,908 (Lifetime sales - 1,602,408)
PS2 - 1,187 (Lifetime sales - 21,825,926)
NDS - 424 (Lifetime sales - 32,873,783)
Big sales and a landmark, all in one week, is sure to please Satoru Iwata's team; as always the challenge will be to produce similarly impressive results consistently in North America and Europe.