3DS Continues Hardware Sales Dominance in Japan

Posted by Martin Watts

Sony platforms dominate software, however

The 3DS LL (or XL, as it is known over here) saw a massive sales spike in Japan last week, jumping from the previous week's total of 38,089 to 63,993 units sold, according to the latest chart information. It was followed by the standard 3DS model, which racked up just under half of its larger counterpart's sales with 29,996 units sold.

Interestingly, this sudden sales increase is not the result of a new release. In fact, the Japanese software chart for last week shows that eight out of the top ten games were all titles for Sony systems. In something of a rare occurrence, the only Nintendo titles to grab one of the top spots were New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Bravely Default: Flying Fairy, which ranked in at fifth and sixth place respectively.

The top four titles were all new titles, with Namco's Tales of Xillia 2 beating everything else with an impressive 364,439 sales. You can view all the details of the top ten hardware and software sales in Japan below:

Top ten hardware (followed by previous week's sales)

01. 3DS LL – 63,993 (38,089)
02. 3DS – 29,996 (23,453)
03. PlayStation 3 – 21,310 (20,364)
04. PSP – 13,868 (14,541)
05. PlayStation Vita – 4,842 (5,806)
06. Wii – 3,806 (3,744)
07. PS2 – 1,351 (1,006)
08. Xbox 360 – 1,339 (1,931)
09. DSi LL – 341 (214)
10. DSi – 227 (227)

Top ten software (followed by total sales)

01. [PS3] Tales of Xillia 2 (Namco Bandai, 11/01/12) – 364,439 (New)
02. [PS3] Okami HD (Capcom, 11/01/12) – 68,644 (New)
03. [PS3] Yakuza 1&2 HD Edition (Sega, 11/01/12) – 58,138 (New)
04. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 (Konami, 11/01/12) – 38,388 (New)
05. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo, 07/28/12) – 24,696 (1,320,330)
06. [3DS] Bravely Default: Flying Fairy (Square Enix, 10/11/12) – 20,454 (234,413)
07. [PSP] The Idolmaster: Shiny Festa – Honey Sound / Funky Note / Groovy Tune (Namco Bandai, 10/25/12) – 14,435 (133,567)
08. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 (Konami, 10/04/12) – 13,828 (338,986)
09. [PS3] Resident Evil 6 (Capcom, 10/04/12) – 13,688 (808,039)
10. [PS3] Dark Souls with Artorias of the Abyss Edition (From Software, 10/25/12) – 13,163 (80,165)

It will be interesting to see whether these 3DS sales are sustained over the next few weeks.

Why do you think the 3DS has seen a sudden sales jump? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.

[via gamesindustry.biz, gematsu.com]

BenAV

BenAV said:

I want Bravely Default. :(

On topic: Good to see the 3DS continue to sell strongly.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Also, the sales figure for New Super Mario Bros. 2 is missing a digit.

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Good for the 3DS. I really hope that Yakuza HD collection game gets released here for PS3.

Rapido

Rapido said:

My 3DS XL having a screen defect wont stop me from waiting for Bravely Default with Great anticipation. *Sigh

MegaAdam

MegaAdam said:

@Rapido: Have you contacted Nintendo about the screen defect? Hardware should be under warranty for a year, and it's only been out for a few months.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

There seems to be a rather large jump in LL sales from the last week. Does anyone know what caused that?

Also, it seems the Vita doing poorly from both hardware and software sides. Sony should probably push for more support, if they haven't completely abandoned the system.

Rapido

Rapido said:

@adamical

I would like to, But I am here in the Philippines and there is no Local support here, and the warranty wont have any effect. What I am so mad about is the local gaming store where I bought mine wont replace it even though I only had it for almost two weeks.

The dead pixel is about half the size of a bean. And they say its because pressure was put on the spot where the dead pixel emerge. Dang, I know the 3DS is a handheld of quality and would resist much more pressure on the screen than they think. Pretty simple logic that they don't understand, and is indeed a defect.

The dead pixel is, i believe on the lower stereoscopic screen and is not recognizable on 2D mode (with the lights on) but does not display 3D on the dead spot.

I might replace it with a new one and give it to my brother after I get a wii u. :). Anyways, I'm still getting and will play good games on it. Bravely Default, gimme some JRPG lovin. :)

Hokori

Hokori said:

Good to see Okami up there, and NSMB2 is probably doing bad now since U comes out in a month from today

Knux

Knux said:

God, I want Bravely Default so bad. Why in the hell do you not want my money, Square Enix!? :|

Raiin

Raiin said:

@Salnax i seen something about a black charizard XL on serebii. If it weren't for the wii U and still wanting an XL in NA then I would definitely be importing one.

Shiromikio

Shiromikio said:

Is it possible the hardware sales jump was due to some special edition XL (and in sufficiently higher quantities to show in the figures)? Pushed those who were still on the fence to buy/"upgrade" from 3DS, and the dedicated collectors. Or something simple like a nation-wide promotional event in the cities' busiest shopping centres.

Dambuster

Dambuster said:

I have a vita and a 3ds, both great systems, the vita has had a load more great games than 3ds in last couple of months, but yet it still fails to do well. I can see it being dead this time next year.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

With the release of Animal Crossing New Leaf in Japan, followed later by the release of the new Pokémon Mystery Dungeon on 3DS, the 3DS/XL could be huge in Japan this holiday season.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

How long until I break down and buy a Japanese 3DS to add to these ridiculous numbers... They're holding off localizing some of these games just to get me to buy another one damn it.

luminalace

luminalace said:

Wow it would be great if Japan's love of the 3DS caught on in other countries! The way it's going it won't take long before it overtakes PS3 total sales in Japan!

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I'm not surprised at how well Tales of Xillia 2 is doing but its still good to see. Out of all the Tales of games on non-Nintendo consoles (which is unfortunately more than the amount that is on Nintendo consoles), ToX2 has become the one I'm most interested in. It looks amazing!

Like many other posters have said, I hope Bravely default: Flying fairy gets localised.