Wii U Digital Promotion Giving You More Bang For Your Buck

Posted by Orla Madden

Nintendo delves deeper into its Deluxe Set promotion

We already knew that Nintendo had mentioned a digital promotion for those who purchased the Wii U Deluxe Bundle - buyers of said bundle who purchase a game from the Nintendo eShop will receive 10% of their value back in the form of points. This in turn allows users to purchase more content from the online store, which is pretty neat.

A game downloaded from the eShop priced at $59.99 would earn 599 points. So for every 500 points you earn, you will receive a code worth $5 in credit to be used in the Nintendo eShop for use on either the Wii U or the 3DS.

Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing gave his opinion on the promotion:

From day one, we want Wii U owners to experience the full breadth of great downloadable games and content available for the console. The Deluxe Digital Promotion is our way of encouraging Wii U Deluxe Set owners to explore the Nintendo eShop and discover how Wii U offers an incredible combination of fun, innovation, convenience and value.

Points will be earned on all digital purchases made on a Wii U Deluxe Set from launch on November 18th until December 31st, 2014. Starting this December, you will be able to see the points you've earned and receive codes for Nintendo eShop credit by signing in to the Deluxe Digital Promotion website with your Nintendo Network ID and password. Codes will need to be received by March 31, 2015 which will need to be exchanged for eShop credit by June 30, 2015.

It seems like a decent incentive for users to go digital, but will it be enough to persuade you to download games that you can buy at retail?

[via ddp.nintendo.com]

Ryno

Ryno said:

I like my physical copies when available. But for games like Trine 2 and Nano Assault this is a nice plus. Will VC games count?

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@Ryno: Seems like it. Anything bought on the eShop will earn points. As to whether or not we can buy Wii VC games with the points is still up in the air, though the 3DS eShop incorporates DSiware games into it, so it's possible :)

RebeccaGunn

RebeccaGunn said:

So does this mean not only the big major releases get the 10% discount? That suddenly makes it a bit more interesting, but feels like a sort of sugar coating to make up for the fact eshop titles are going to be full RRP.

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

While free stuff is always good, the way you have to go about redeeming points seems far too convoluted. According to Destructoid, the process is as follows:

"Here's how it works, according to Nintendo's press release: The consumer purchases content either directly through the eShop or by way of a download code from select retail stores. After the purchase is made, the consumer is given "points" equal to 10% of the list price of their purchase (in dollars and cents; a $59.99 game is worth 599 points). The consumer can then track their accumulated points on a special website for the promotion and exchange these points in increments of 500 for codes which can be redeemed for $5 in eShop credit.

Short version: Buy games, get points, trade points for code, trade code for credit."

iphys

iphys said:

It won't convince me to buy retail games as downloads, but it's still a pretty good incentive. I'm not sure why they're only doing this for the Deluxe version though, if the real motivation is to get more people in the habit of buying their games as downloads. The Basic doesn't have much storage, but anyone downloading retail games will soon need more than the 32 GB that the Deluxe has anyway.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Even though I'm getting a Deluxe bundle, I prefer getting games physically, but this is still a neat idea and it may be an option for me if I wanted to buy and download a game that I had to think about, like Sonic Racing.

nintendoMAN

nintendoMAN said:

not retail games. i probably will buy a bunch of eshop games(toki tori 2, little inferno!)

TysonOfTime

TysonOfTime said:

@Wheels2050

It doesn't sound very convoluted. It sounds exactly like GameStop's reward program, just with you entering the code. An extra step, but I think it's due to the 3DS eShop integration as well.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

@Wheels2050 I agree. I mean, I feel bad complaining considering this is all free, and I'm sure I will utilize this but... it seems over complicated. I honestly would prefer a direct 10% discount.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Depends on the game, like, chances are I'll be downloading both versions (or maybe just the Wii U one, dunno yet) of Ultimate. :p
And ESPECIALLY the next Smash Bros. :p

JAPBOO

JAPBOO said:

do any of you know what kind of HD will the Wii U support? will I be able to connect a 1 Tera HD?

NintendoLand

NintendoLand said:

@JAPBOO Memory capacity doesn't matter, it's the format that does.

As far as I know it will support all popular formats SD, USB flash Drive and external drives via USB.

So even if your HDD is 10TB as long as it fits it should work :)

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

@Tyson: Well, I think it depends on where Nintendo goes with this. I think a 10% discount would be far more straightforward (and have the same effect), but admittedly they can't really change the final step (redeem points for credit) if they want to offer other rewards apart from points (as you may want to redeem your points for, say, a collectible).

However, I think what should be done is: buy game, points show up immediately on your eShop account directly - no external website, no code redemption. They can keep the minimum number of points business, but they could cut out a few steps.

Also, just because Gamestop does it that way (I have no experience with their program) doesn't mean it can't be done better. This is either due to ineptness, or an attempt to include extra steps in the hopes that people won't bother.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

This is a good promotion. If enough people participate in it, everyone wins. Also, this will show that Nintendo is FINALLY catching up to the digital world of downloading games. :)

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

I know everyone likes to bash digital versions of retail titles, but I absolutely love the idea. It may seem trivial to some, but I hate having to store and change discs, or take them all with me when I head to a friend's house. Games that are always available to launch are the ones I tend to play more, and if I'm getting 10% back is like getting a free VC or WiiWare title of my choice every time I pick one up, even better!

Can't wait for my Wii U Deluxe now. 2 1/2 weeks to go...

Hokori

Hokori said:

@WaxxyOne IKR people bash digital, but yet some of these same people bashed Nintendo for not doing what the others are already doing... :| make up your mind

Emaan

Emaan said:

I personally will be getting all my games retail, except for the download-only eShop games. This is a nice promotion. Glad I'm getting the Deluxe! :D

ArcanaXVI

ArcanaXVI said:

I'm all the more pleased that I pre-ordered the Deluxe set. I probably won't be downloading any retail games, but this is a great perk for eShop titles.

JAPBOO

JAPBOO said:

@NintendoLand: Thanks a lot! if this is the case then this promotion will really make sense because I will get to download a few retail games that I will expect to have good amount of GB that will "kill" wii u internal memory...

skjia

skjia said:

I still don't get why this is only available to deluxe owners and deluxe is only in black. Seems strange not to make this available to everyone

skjia

skjia said:

Um...That's my point. Why is it deluxe and tied to a version of the console instead of something that's available to everyone but is included in the deluxe package?

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

My guess is aside from being premium they're hoping the 10% will encourage people less familiar with digital distribution, people who might be uncomfortable buying anything beyond apps and ios games.

The only retail games I would probably buy digital are those that I would play enough the disk is likely to wear out, like MH or SSB. On the bright side digital would help stunt my ever growing collection and foil my ferret's new favorite game: pull everything off the shelves.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

@skjia im not sure for basic owners but its a service like psplus where you can get it your self as its optional and not forced

wouldnt be a deluxe bundle if it was for both bundle systems

Abcdude

Abcdude said:

You need to buy the game digitally? Damn. I would rather buy the retail copy, nothing beats ripping off plastic wrap and wiffing that fresh game smell.

TheRegginator

TheRegginator said:

I won't be getting retail games, but I can't wait to earn points on all of the WiiUWare and VC games I want to get.

SMW

SMW said:

December 2014?! Sweet! I'll be able to buy a Wii U by then for sure! I'm too poor to get one at launch. Glad I can still get into the deluxe club!

This will definitely make me consider going digital for my purchases.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Until december 2014. Well I guess I can get a wii U before that. I say I will buy a Wii U somewhere near the beginning of 2014.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

I didn't expect this to be eligible all the way to late 2014. That's awesome. I already know I'll be downloading a lot of eShop games, so this is going to be great.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

I thought this would be for eShop exclusives too. I don't think i'll download anything that costs more than 20€.

edhe

edhe said:

I'd stand to save more money in the long run if I get my full games from retail, but if I was to buy loads of WiiWare/VC (I'd snap up Wind Waker on the VC if given the chance), I'd use this system.

It just seems so Nintendo-Awkward to not have the whole system built into the console's OS though.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

The more I think about it the more I'm interested in downloading Wii U games. I hate storing cases and changing discs for consoles, carrying them to a friend's house, etc. The fact that I get free games out of it is even better! The only issues would be the pricing of the games and the fact that my internet wouldn't last long downloading Wii U games...

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

@edhe
Why would it be in the OS when only Premium/Deluxe buyers will get it, and Basic buyers won't be able to purchase it anyway?

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

People need to stop thinking this is free money.
You're dropping almost $300 for the system and paying a premium for this "discount". It's be no means free.

And while the method isn't hard, it is convoluted and it could've been better, it's all done through Nintendo, they could've just done it all on the Wii itself, instead of making people go through loops.

I personally find it just pathetic and no different than mail-in rebates. You have to jump through hoops and wait, while they still get to slap the discount on their ads.
I expect better treatment with a company I'm giving my money too. Some maybe be fine with that, and that's cool, but I'm not.

Other companies are just as bad as this stuff CoughAppleCough, but this doesn't make this any less sad.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

speaking as someone not living in the country I will be using my Wii U in, this is an added benifit. Otherwise I will have to import physical copies and have to pay not only for the game but the shipping too. I love Nintendo for this. My Wii U ZombiU edition will be looking forward to this.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

@Hardy83
you seem to be forgetting that nintendo is selling the system at a loss to begin with.

anyways this kind of works for me since my kids tend to wreck my dvds and game discs. i think i will be going digital for the Wii U except NSMB U. I'm getting it physically because i can get a free steelbook.

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

@mumof2kids82 Never said it doesn't work. I'm just saying it's convoluted and designed that way to be unappealing to people while still being able to up sell the system because of it.

It's just that there's better ways to do it, and to me, and I'm sure many people, see this as a typical business practice by Nintendo.
I'm personally not impressed with this system, but I'm sure many will be.
I just don't want people think they are getting something for free or Nintendo is doing US a favour, cause they aren't.

And as a consumer, I don't care if they are selling the system at a loss. That's not my problem, I'm not gonna feel sorry for them. It's still my money.

Again, not just bashing Nintendo. I've never been a fan of these kind of business practices to begin with. Either direct discounts or instant rebates, none of this hoops garbage. It's sleazy.
How many people would've preferred just a direct 10% discount. I would have at least.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I'm not sure that I'll get a Wii U early enough to make use of this but this system is far too convoluted.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Meh. I've already downloaded tons of DSIWare, Wii Virtual Console, WiiWare, 3DS Virtual Console and 3DSWare games so I'll just carry on as normal and watch those loyalty points rack up.

I haven't, and will never download a single current gen retail release game that I can still easily buy a physical boxed copy of though.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

I think it a good promotion, but the only games i would probably actually download are the Eshop only games and the games they could have multi-player or high replay value. And maybe some Wii games since they probably wont take up alot of space.

Treverend

Treverend said:

What do you all have against digitally downloading games? I don't understand. Any of you own Steam? It's amazing. And I guess I'll be the only one making like $6 bucks from each retail game I buy, that adds up quite fast.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

This is great, because I plan on dling all my my retail games if I can, and this promo pretty much means I'll be getting a free $5 game everytime, or buy 2 and get a $10 game. Sounds good to me. I hope betas for SSB.U and other games happen too, especially w/ this program that is resemblance to PS +(but, not a direct copy), I wouldn't doubt that a beta or some other type of benfits could happen over at Nintendo HQ.

Henmii

Henmii said:

So, the service also comes to America (and hopefully also to Europe)? But it doesn't last forever, it lasts till the end of 2014. And you pay full price for downloads, but get some credits in return that you can use in the e-shop? And you can also use those credits on the 3DS? That's neat!

Overall it sounds quite decent! Though I mostly will download "normal" games (so no games I can also get at retail)!