Watch the Translated GameCenter CX vs. Iwata Asks Segment Right Here

Posted by Damien McFerran

Fresh from Japan

If you watched last week's Japanese Nintendo Direct presentation you'll know that at the end there was a special GameCenter CX segment featuring none other than Nintendo President Satoru Iwata.

For those of you that don't know, GameCenter CX (known in the west as Retro Game Master) is a TV show starring Shinya Arino, who plays through some of Japan's most popular video games in each episode - a process which produces some hilarious results, especially when he's playing something as hard as Ninja Gaiden. A DS game based on the show entitled GameCenter CX: Arino's Challenge was released a few years ago - it was localised in North America as Retro Game Challenge.

The segment on the Nintendo Direct broadcast saw Iwata answer a series of questions, the most interesting of which related to game development. Iwata worked at HAL before becoming Nintendo President, and seems keen to get coding again - if his busy schedule permits:

Iwata: If I had the time, I would love to. If I put aside my duties as company president to work on games, I believe it would inconvenience many people. I am resisting.

Arino: What if you spent an hour every day making an Famicom-class game?

Iwata: Games can be purchased as online downloads now. They create new opportunities. A single individual can then create and release their own games. Yes, it may be my chance.

The video is well worth watching, and features lots of [LAUGHS] as well. Enjoy!

[via nintendoworldreport.com, youtube.com]

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I really enjoyed the video, it was great seeing Arino get a suprise by having the President of Nintendo walk in haha.

edhe

edhe said:

The humour transfers over to english suprisingly well. I especially like Arino's lasting impression of Iwata ("...he has such soft hands. That's my impression of him.")

SageWaterDragon

SageWaterDragon said:

Looking at the video
Man, Retro Game Challenge was the best DS game of all time.
Thinks about it some more
I wonder how the translation project for the sequel is going.
Looks at page, no updates in 9 months
Oh my God, is it canceled?
Realizes there is no hope for a translation ever
sobs

Xilef

Xilef said:

Awesome video. Aside from being funny it was intresting to hear why Retro games ae so hard and some secrets about Ballon Fight.

MAB

MAB said:

Iwata should of put a cooling pad on to win Balloon Fight.

Folkloner

Folkloner said:

@QyetCapri me and you both man. I got RGC for my birthday this year
and was totally hooked. It's such a shame that the translation has seemingly be shelved. =(

A1234

A1234 said:

wow, this is great!! I did not know he made Balloon Fight. such a classic game.