Talking Point: What Games Are You Playing This Weekend? - Issue Seven

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

It's back

Earlier this week, in a peculiar moment of a united group consciousness, the Nintendo Life team exclaimed as one: "hey, what happened to the weekend gaming features?" What did happen? Nintendo and video games happened, with enough Wii U madness — including a little bit of 3DS — and expos to distract us from our fortnightly duties of sharing our weekend plans. Well, it's now back and, frankly, bigger and better than ever.

You'll spot a few new names this week making their début in this feature. We have Ken Barnes, maestro of sister-site kinectaku.com and soon-to-be Nintendo Life contributor, and news contributors Shaan Joshi (US) and Orla Madden (UK) making their first appearance in the this article. There are also plenty of familiar names, some of which are scandalously playing non-Nintendo devices, so let's get right to it.

Mike Mason

Pokémon White 2 — While the first Pokémon Black / White refreshed the series and gave the impression of a whole new world, Black / White 2 throws back to previous generations tremendously. I'll be continuing my latest quest to amass a small army of vicious creatures to do my bidding.

Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender (PS Vita) — I've no idea what to expect from this PlayStation Mobile launch title, but with a title like that how can it fail?!

Tom Whitehead

Inazuma Eleven Strikers — I'll be firing this one up on Wii for review duties, and hoping that it lives up to the standard of the DS title from earlier in the year. I'm mainly looking forward to the special moves: if I can't score a goal by somersaulting 50 feet in the air and summoning a fire-breathing dragon, I'll be disappointed.

Liberation Maiden — The moment this was announced during the European Nintendo Direct, I simply had to have it. It's a shooter by SUDA51 developed for a Japanese audience, so I needed no more motivation to make this my first rash impulse-buy for quite a while.

Jon Wahlgren

New Super Mario Bros. 2 — I'm slowly but surely working my way through Star World and picked up the DLC pack as soon as it hit, so I've got plenty of coin collecting ahead of me.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Xbox 360) — I'm pretty terrible at dat Mahvel but hope to sink some time into becoming slightly less crap at it.

Warhammer 40K: Space Marine (PS3) — This is a surprisingly great palette cleanser. I'm not much in tune with the Warhammer universe and Space Marine doesn't so far require that much skill from me, so I'm enjoying it for the spectacle more than anything.

Desiree Turner

I've actually gone back to Suikoden Tierkreis lately — it's one of my favourite games for the DS, and I needed something to kill time before Code of Princess hits next week. I'll also be playing through the NSMB2 DLC just as soon as I've got it downloaded.

Philip J Reed

I'll be attempting to Kirby-run Mega Man 2... and I'm still not sure it's possible. See if that stops me from wasting my weekend, though! I'll also be tracking down new and unique Denpa Men, and enjoying the Crosswords Plus download as I wait for Donkey Kong: Original Edition to become available.

Ron DelVillano

I finally finished NSMB2 last night, so I'll be spending this weekend collecting the star coins that I missed, as well as (hopefully) hitting 1,000,000 coins.

I'll definitely be spending more time with LittleBigPlanet on PS Vita, and I might actually try my hand at creating a level of my own (any suggestions?).

If I'm lucky, I'll also squeeze in some Harvest Moon: Back to Nature on Vita, because playing classic PSOne games on a portable console is quite possibly the greatest advancement in modern science in the past 10 years. And I'll definitely be wasting more time on The Binding of Isaac because it's a game that I really enjoy, no matter what others may have to say about it.

Joe Walker

Pokémon White 2 — I can't believe how incredible this game is. What I thought would be a rehash is in actuality a vast improvement over the already amazing original. The only way I'm going to stop playing is if someone pries my DSi out of my rigid, claw-like hands.

Morgan Sleeper

NiGHTS into Dreams (PS3) — Pure, singing joy in digital form. Christmas has come a bit early for me this year — my favourite game of all time is back and I couldn't be happier!

Klonoa: Empire of Dreams (GBA) — Continuing with the dream theme, I just finished the excellent Wii-make of the first Klonoa game, and now I'll be running this portable instalment through its thoroughly charming paces for a retro review. "Wahoo!"

Marcel van Duyn

Borderlands 2 (Steam/PC) — Guns, guns everywhere! Basically just more of the same compared to the first, but that's not really a bad thing.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 — Finally cleared my backlog out a little, so it's finally time to run through this one despite owning it since it came out.

Gaz Plant

F1 2012 (PC) – Two years ago I got burnt by Codemaster's first entry into the F1 sim genre, but this year they seem to have finally got the hang of what it is to create a Formula One racer. Brilliant graphics and more importantly superb handling physics mean I haven’t put this down since launch day.

Kid Icarus: Uprising – Because I might have just ordered a box of 24 packs of AR cards off eBay...

Jamie O'Neill

Klonoa — To echo Morgan’s picks and to show that great minds think alike, I will also be playing Klonoa this weekend (on Wii, PS3 and PSP). I’m reviewing the original title on PSN for Push Square, and I can’t get enough of Namco’s 2.5D platformer at the moment.

NiGHTS into Dreams (PS3) — Yet again I heartily agree with Morgan, the release of NiGHTS on PSN is a humongous treat. I think SEGA are sublime for bringing retro games from later eras to PSN and XBLA. They have made fifth generation classics like Daytona USA available, as well as sixth generation gems like Jet Set Radio, and they often clean up these titles for HD. That is without even mentioning Sonic CD, so I really hope that NiGHTS sells brilliantly and it is also brought to Wii U.

Worms Collection: This is for a Push Square review; it’s a collection of Worms, Worms 2: Armageddon and Worms: Ultimate Mayhem on PS3. "Incoming!"

Ken Barnes

New Super Mario Bros 2 — Looking forward at utterly failing to beat the devilishly evil coin targets on the new Coin Rush DLC packs, and also finishing the game proper.

FIFA 13 (Xbox 360) — Due to review commitments, I haven't gotten enough time in with this yet, and my Ultimate Team is getting ready to stage a strike. I'll be playing online at various points over the weekend, so if you're looking for an easy win...

National Geographic: Kinect TV (Xbox 360) — I'll be reviewing this for KINECTaku, and am hoping that it really does teach me about lions, and tigers, and bears, oh my!

Shaan Joshi

While I wait for my Xbox 360 to be repaired, I'm sticking to the Nintendo handhelds.

Pokemon Yellow (GBC) — I finally decided to start a run where I don't immediately throw Pikachu in the PC and let him rot in that virtual jail. My other goal is to make a team that matches Red's from Pokemon Silver/Gold. The only substitution is Espeon for Kadabra.

Ace Attorney Investigations (DS) — Because the only cure for the Blue Badger Blues is more Dick Gumshoe.

Orla Madden

I'll be delving into Animal Crossing: Let's Go To The City for the very first time after it's been sitting on my shelf for over a year (terrible, I know).

Also after downloading the new Coin Rush packs from the eShop for NSMB2 on 3DS yesterday, my weekend consists of reaching the target score on each of the Coin Rush stages. Beating my own personal score of 20,000 is on the agenda too.

That's what we're playing this weekend, and now it's time for you to share as well. What gaming delights do you have lined up?

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

If I get time I will play NSMB2, sonic adventure/adventure 2 hd, also cave story (3ds ware) if I buys it.

Reala

Reala said:

Kind of on the fence regarding whether I'll get liberation maiden or not, just got sakura wars so long my love though so that should keep me occupied for a while.

BenAV

BenAV said:

I'll probably be finishing off Liberation Maiden, and if I have any more spare time around my assignments (which I doubt) I'm not really sure what I'll play.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

I'll be playing:

NSMB 2 - 3DS
New Art Academy - 3DS
Crosswords - 3DS
Let's Ride: Best in Breed - 3DS
Angry Birds - 3DS
Balloon Pop Remix - 3DSware

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

bennyt

bennyt said:

Maybe Borderlands 2 but putting in the hours is a bit difficult due to work so probably Rhythm Thief and SM3DL instead.

Pokemon White 2 would be nice but thats still a week away (EU)

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

I plan on picking up Pokemon White 2 this weekend. I'll also be doing some NSMB2. Gotta get 1,000,000 coins!

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

After blasting through Picross E with absolute ease, I've found myself finishing off Mario's Super Picross on Wii Virtual Console, and it has been a much more challenging experience.

I've also been trying to achieve the best possible score on NSMB2's DLC pack, Coin Challenge Pack A. My best so far is 27,496.

And whilst I'm not doing either of these I'll be playing Pokémon Conquest and Pokémon Typing Adventure whilst I wait for the UK release of Pokémon Black 2.

DRLAdmin

DRL said:

Kirby Air Ride, Mutant Mudds, and Super Mario 3D Land.

Ludicoloishome

Ludicoloishome said:

finishing up Borderlands 2 and a brunch of wii games i never finished (Soulcalibur legends, Madworld, Onepiece, Sonic unleashed ,and Super mario rpg)
to get ready for the wii u

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Im alternately playing NSMB2, to get some ideas for level designs of this NSMB DS mod im making.
And of course, im playing NSMBDS to test the levels I made....

Also sporadically, I will play kirby dream collection.

IsawYoshi

IsawYoshi said:

I bought Xenoblade last week, and so far the game has been fantastic! Another weekend with that one, in other words :D

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

I just started a new file on Metroid: Other M, but will likely end up playing Black 2 more. :)
And I need to finish Xenoblade at some point...

Konata

Konata said:

Probably sticking to Animal Crossing: City Folk this weekend.
I haven't played it in SO long, and I've seen so much about Animal Crossing 3DS
I have the sudden urge to play!

Bobhobob

Bobhobob said:

I'll be playing NSMB2, as reaching 150,000 coins has motivated me to do a TON of coin rush
also, Will be picking up Black 2 tomorrow a day before launch, so be playing that a ton too..
and if i have the time, ill put in some rayman origins on the wii that I bought a week ago but i still haven't played yet...

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

playing NSMB 2 and maybe some tetris. I gotta wait for next week to play Black 2 and White 2. I pre-ordered them online

Wildfire

Wildfire said:

Continuing my explorations on La-Mulana, Liberation Maiden and Animal Crossing let's go to the city!

Varia01

Varia01 said:

I got Twilight Princess and Wii Play yesterday so that means this weekend I'm gonna plau countless hours or Twilight and countless Marathons of multiplayer for Wii Play. Gotta have my Zelda... Cause I just started to realize how awesome the 3D titles are.

MetalMario

MetalMario said:

Playing some more Pushmo custom levels, and then maybe some Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

IAmNotWill

IAmNotWill said:

The games I ordered last week came in yesterday and today. I'm going to be busy playing inFAMOUS and LOZ: Phantom Hourglass.

David77

David77 said:

FTL (PC), the best indie game in years. Think of it as a slow racing adventure.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'll be playing more Pushmo (3DS eShop), I bought it today because its on discount though I've already gotten kinda stuck on two puzzles, I'll get there though. I'll think about whether I wanna keep playing La-Mulana (WiiWare) or not as it kinda gives me a headache when I play it (I think its the fault of my old bedroom TV though where the Wii is.) & I'll continue playing Mario Kart 7 (3DS) to try to get a 10,000+ VR & then I'll get the 3 stars (I've got a 9,600+ VR now).

I was wondering where the "what are you playing this weekend?" article had gone over the past few weeks but figured you guys were busy with the Euro expo & what not & I also forgot about it haha :P Also welcome to all the new NL staff & those who are new to the "what are you playing this weekend?" feature, hope you enjoy your gaming :D

baba_944

baba_944 said:

Please answer: Has anyone heard of "Charlie the Duck"?

EDIT: I know what it is I just want to know if anyone else has heard of it. It's about a duck that goes on an adventure. That's it. Clone of Mario.

RR529

RR529 said:

I'll be continuing to tackle Cave Story (3DS Download). If I finish before the weekend's out, I'll go back into the Denpa Men (3DS Download) to tackle the post-story dungeons.

I also may get in a few rounds/matches in Dead or Alive: Dimensions (3DS), Alleyway (3DS VC), and Family Tennis 3D (3DS Download).

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Dr. Mario Express: After a couple months, Dr. Mario hooked me back in.
New Super Mario Bros. 2: I think I'm going to make it to 100 hours on this long weekend.
Street Fighter X Tekken: Due to renovations, I had to unplug my PS3. I'm going to my cottage, which gives me the weekend to go into my Pandora mode.

KneehighPark

KneehighPark said:

@David77 FTL is awesome! I find that the endgame is a bit unfair, in the sense that you have little to no chance of surviving if you haven't upgraded your ship enough. On the flipside, a roguelike such as the Binding of Isaac has some very difficult bosses, but it's possible to win even if you aren't upgraded.

TheN64Dude

TheN64Dude said:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (I'm working on the adult Master Quest)
Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros. 2 (DLC Pack)

fortius54

fortius54 said:

NCAA 13; Rayman Origins, and Mini Ninjas or Assassins Creed. With me and the kids at home probably some Skylanders thrown in there as well.

Nintex

Nintex said:

For me I'll be playing The Last Story, NSMB2, Pokemon White, and finishing up Fossil Fighters. Then on Sunday it's Pokemon White Version 2!!!

Xilef

Xilef said:

Will probably play some Valkyria Chronicles. Other than that, maybe some Pokemon Conquest and Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia.

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

Crosswords plus
Pokemon black 2(Sunday can't come fast enough!)
Steel diver
New super mario bros 2
Pokemon heartgold
Pokemon mystery dungeon explorers of darkness

Lots of other games to.

My backlog is huge.

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

just playing most recent at the minute.unlocking all the stuff on liberation maiden.and trying to rescue all the dudes on vvvvvv,tricky to say the least.hurry up nov-30th!

Squirtodile

Squirtodile said:

I have two big band events, but Pokemon White 2 obviously, and i'm getting an iPhone monday so probably apps on there will have a chunk of Monday aswell.

Norfair

Norfair said:

I have played NSMB2 all day today and tomorrow me and some friends will try to marathon the Harry Potter movies, gotta get some sleep if I don't want to fall asleep.

Folkloner

Folkloner said:

I'll be playing...

Swapnote Trivia Quest (Swapnote)
Theatrythym: Final Fantasy (3DS)
Bookstore Dream (DSiWare)
Sword of Hope 2 (3DS Virtual Console)
Magician's Quest (DS)

Vehemont

Vehemont said:

Hoping to get a copy of Pokemon White 2 on Sunday, but until then I will be playing some SM3DL.

hendie001

hendie001 said:

just picked up last story and kirby s dream collection and it just started snowing outside : o haha good reason to stay in and play some vids lol

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

Mario Vs. Donkey Kong ( 3DS Virtual Console)
Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure ( PS3): leveling up some characters in preparation for Giants on the Wii U.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Ah yes. Well now that Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Infinite Space, and Nostalgia have all bitten the dust (I've been away a minute!) I will be playing a pair of gems: Xenoblade Chronicles and Radiant Historia. I am in so much RPG heaven right now. Oh, and if a friend comes by, Kirby's Return to Dreamland 2-player.

JohnPhilipSousa

JohnPhilipSousa said:

You all have just reminded me that I've been neglecting my inner SEGA fan. I'm out of spending cash and was too busy throwing money at Nintendo that I forgot to throw it at SEGA too.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

Bad Piggies is my only for sure, but I'd love to nab review codes for Cave Story eShop and/or BIT.TRIP CORE Steam so I could get cracking on reviews for them.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Zen Pinball 3D, I'll be keeping my high scores top of my friend's list. Just try and stop me @Wildvine53

Then come Sunday Pokemon Black 2, good thing for the long weekend, pokemon will be my focus when I get it. Aside from a bit of Pinball.

I might break out Kingdom Hearts or Kid Icarus this weekend but I'm not sure. Possibly try and finish 333333 in VVVVVV as well.

fpssoviet

fpssoviet said:

White 2 when it comes out. Cs:go, tf2 and brink on pc. And I might get ff3 ds and pull some all nighters. Hurray for us canadians we get a 3 day weekend happy Thankgiving!

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Cave Story+ 3D for me, some KI:U online, maybe some Mutant Mudds, Mighty Switch Force, or Sword of Hope 2 also.

@Philip_J_Reed What do you mean by Kirby running Mega Man 2?

Pastry

Pastry said:

I'm playing Resident Evil 5 to get ready for 6. Maybe a bit of DMC HD in there as well.

MAB

MAB said:

Nothing on an eyepad :P

Probably SEGA games on some sort of a Nintendo device ;)

TheInvisibleTor

TheInvisibleTor said:

ill be downloading Crosswords Plus (then awaiting Donkey Kong: Original Edition) plus also downloading Rising Board 3D, Pokemon Dream Radar, Samurai G (hello nintendo life, where's the review?) and get a game off of Club Nintendo. Pretty Awesome weekend ahead....

KiwiPanda

KiwiPanda said:

I'll be training a bit on Pokemon White before its sequel comes, and then, as always, I will be playing MK7 and SSBB.

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

what the heck is a "kirby-run" of megaman 2? a hack of MM2 with a kirby sprite instead of megaman? that seems pretty pointless.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I'm playing Metroid Prime, Super Smash Bros. Melee, New Super Mario Bros. 2, and Animal Crossing. :D

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

I'm playing Sonic Generations on my PC and Kung Fu Panda 2 DS on my 3DS.

BlueToad

BlueToad said:

I'm playing New Super Mario Bros. 2. I picked up the game on thursday and love it! :d

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

I just tried Tokyo Jungle. I would like to change my plans to all Tokyo Jungle all the time.

Jumpman

Jumpman said:

I'll be going through my Sony backlog by finishing Metal Gear Solid and GTA Liberty City Stories.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

World of Warcraft: Hopefully this weekend my hunter will hit the big nine-o.
Borderlands: I am so hooked on this game right now. I dont know how this one slipped passed me when it was first released.

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

I'll be at work mostly, but when I get the time I will mostly be on the 360. Playing Tekken Tag 2, Marvel vs Capcom Orgins, and Dead or Alive 5. I need to make time for Jet Set Radio as well.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

I've mostly been playing games on my PC recently, but I'll probs dip into Pandoras Tower at some point.
Bought Little King's Story for £4 yesterday so I might give that a spin!

Yasume

Yasume said:

Still undecided. I'm considering Chrono Trigger (DS version) and Mega Man X2.

MikeDanger

MikeDanger said:

@ouroborous After you beat one of the bosses, you recieve a new power, on the next stage you only use that power for the whole stage. And you do that for all 8 bosses.

ChrisT99

ChrisT99 said:

I have a Book Report due on Monday, and Math homework, and other stuff, so I might not be able to play any games this weekend, but if I do, I'll be playing:

-The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (I'm stuck in Faron Woods)
-Super Mario Galaxy 2 (I just can't do that dang Grandmaster Galaxy Comet, it's so hard)
-Super Mario 3D Land (I'm stuck on S3-5)
And I'll be thinking of ways that I can save up enough money to get a Wii U next month

Vriess

Vriess said:

Kingdoms Of Amalur - Reckoning on the PC. Slugging through dozens of side quests before finishing the main story line. Maybe I'll get to buying Mario Kart 7.

Shiromikio

Shiromikio said:

New Art Academy - looking forward to NA release after 2 months
Professor Layton and the Last Specter - first foray into the series while waiting for Miracle Mask
The "Denpa" Men - I'll return to this early if the Layton title doesn't work out after all

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

The Last Story, Retro Game Challenge and Endless Ocean: Blue World. Oh and MLB The Show 12 since it's playoff time.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

MikeDanger1 described it above. But thanks for assuming it's something you'd think to be pointless, and then declaring it pointless!

Void

Void said:

Moar Pokaymonz, specifically Pokemon Black Version 2, been playing Pokemon White in preparation all week. (Starting out with 100,000's of Pokemon money might make it too easy though...)

Candy811

Candy811 said:

I'll be playing

Nintendogs+Cats
Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns
Kingdom Hearts DDD
Mario Kart 7
Resident Evil Revelations and Mercenaries
Mario Tennis Open
NSMB2
and maybe Zelda OOT 3D
That's all I have planned to play unless something else comes up :)

kokoro

kokoro said:

Monster Hunter 3G, Wario Land 3, and Rockman 1. Happy Thanksgiving for all you Canadians out there!

Wanderhope

Wanderhope said:

(1) World of Warcraft
(2) Madden NFL 13
(3) Animal Crossing: Wild World

Slight chance of some NSMB 2 and/or Pushmo.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Spent most of the weekend playing Rayman Origins :)

Need to get it all finished off before Rayman Legends comes out.

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

Deus Ex, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura, Final Fantasy 14, Faster Than Light

I need to get back to Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, and Growlanser 4: Wayfarer of Time... and Xenoblade... ENDLESS RPG BACKLOG.

ChrisT99

ChrisT99 said:

@ChrisT99
UPDATE: It turns out I was right as I didn't have time to play any games. I have a jam-packed rest of the week, so no games for me this week. Oh well, there's always next week...