Rumour: Wii U Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 Not Running Natively At 1080p?

Posted by Damien McFerran

Uh-oh

A few days ago, Nintendo was left with egg on its face after issuing conflicting reports about what resolution New Super Mario Bros. U would run at.

Now, it would seem as if Activision is the company that is to be left red-faced.

According to GotGame, an Activision representative has confirmed that Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 will NOT run natively at 1080p on the Wii U. Instead, the game will be upscaled (presumably from 720p) by the console itself.

Seeing as GotGame is reluctant to reveal the actual source of the news, we've decided to keep the salt shaker within reach for at least a little while.

According to the site, it has also been confirmed that the Wii U version will be getting its own unique Nuketown map as a reward for those who pre-order the game, but that good news is likely to be lost amid the baying and wailing of those affronted by the lack of true HD resolution.

Will it make any difference to how the game plays? Not likely, but when you consider that Activition has previously stated that 1080p support is going to be included, you can perhaps understand the vitriol.

[via gotgame.com]

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

Nintendo and Activision... pick one and stick with it.... plus, why not do 1080p? You get more sales, we get HD, everyone wins.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

Well I will be getting bo2 harden edition for ps3 that comes with nuketown 2025 and nuketown zombies so no problems for me.

Tate24

Tate24 said:

I wanted this as launch title.... am not to happy about this news! Sort yea selfs out!!!

Vehemont

Vehemont said:

This is not good for the Nintendo or Activision if they can't get the games running on 1080p on their "HD" console, but graphics aren't everything I suppose.

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

Can't the GamePad do 1080p? Besides, even if it can't, it wouldn't be a problem. If the GamePad was running 720p and the TV was running 1080p(if that's possible) you would eliminate the TV element for only the gamepad... so no. It should run 1080p.

Hokori

Hokori said:

@3Dash Yeah they said the GameApad would be 720 and he TV could do 1080 so why not make the TV part 1080? IDC either way but still Activision just seems to be messing this up and Nintendos the one taking the bullet...:|

BJQ1972

BJQ1972 said:

For info, the first Black Ops game ran at 1040x608 on XBox360, and only 960x544 on PS3. Modern Warfare 3 runs at 1024x600 on both Xbox and PS3.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

The original "Black Ops" is truly one of the best games in the entire franchise, I'm looking really forward to having this day 1. As for 1080p or not, I could not care less. I'm still playing CODMW3 on the Wii at 480p, so it's all good by me.

TeslaChippie

TeslaChippie said:

Okay... so what? No CoD since CoD4 has run at 1080p, on any platform (except PC). They have almost all run at 600p, which is exactly between 480p and 720p. It's technically not even HD on consoles.

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

I don't really care. The Gamepad itself and the things they are trying with it in BO2 are enough to make me want to buy it for WiiU. Hopefully the pad will be enough to change it from the samey experience I've had on my PS3 over the past four games to something that I can really get into again.

Obvious78

Obvious78 said:

I dont care if the resolution is upscaled. Guys...the Wii U has unique features unlike the other "boring" controls on the other consoles. As long as its minimum 720p then I will buy it. Black Ops 2 is a must have for me!

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

Isn't everyone aware by now that the Wii U is more than capable of native 1080p? A handful of games, including Rayman Legends, ZombiU, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and even Toki Tori 2, have been announced to be running in native 1080p at 60fps, so clearly it's the developers at fault here. The Wii U is perfectly fine.

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

@Mr_Tru83 No, it's either 720p or 1080p. And if @WhiteKnight is correct(Which could or could not be true, as it seems everything is becoming less and less certain, which shouldn't be happening) then it's still 720p. That and the size of the screen is bigger than any DS or 3DS screen ever, so it's not really "Small", if you're comparing it to that.

Randomname19

Randomname19 said:

"the game will be upscaled (presumably from 720p) by the console itself."
then why it won't upscale Wii games?

SPEtheridge

SPEtheridge said:

@3Dash
The Gamepad screen does not display 720p or 1080p its lower sub HD still looks nice though due to the smaller screen it looks sharper

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Man I seriously need to start looking more into technological stuff so I can see and understand what the big issue is to bring a game into 1080p, sounds simple to me.

bonesy91

bonesy91 said:

you know that half the ps3 games I have played don't run at full 1080p. Heck most ps3 games run at 720. So Considering this game is a port from older consoles of course it's not gonna run 1080p on a brand new system.

just my thoughts anyway.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

@Randomname19 That representative doesnt know what hes talking about! Console do not upscale games! And @everyone, I find it surprising how some of you who play only on the Wii are complaining about it playing in 720p! We should be happy that Nintendo is now an HD console period. And it not Nintendos fault its Activisions! I know it should play all games in native 1080p, but for people who say "graphics aren't everything!" I am truly shocked at how this make or breaks your decision at buying the game.

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

@Assassin87 We want people to buy the Wii U so they can buy games so more devs will support the Wii U.
I have said "Graphics aren't everything," before, but really what I meant is "Graphics aren't everything, but they are something"

KAHN

KAHN said:

not like anyone with a brain is going to get this. all CoD games are the same now.

JohnPhilipSousa

JohnPhilipSousa said:

I hate saying bad about you guys, but @Damo, you worded this article poorly, or perhaps didn't know that it is only 600p on other systems (excluding PC, of course).

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

@armoredghor Um...Activision loves us enough to make every Call of Duty game three times over. Once for the PS360, once for the DS, and once for the Wii.

Anyway, with 480p gaming since the PS2 came out, 720p won't bug me. Over half of the PS360 library runs at 720 anyway, right?

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

Sounds like the signs of a rushed down port.
Then again, they didn't have to do that cool GamePad Split Screen mode.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Sounds to me that Activision either rushed Treyarch, or they have no idea whether it'll be native 1080p or not.

DudeSean

DudeSean said:

I'm pretty sure Wii U development was done last, after the other system versions. So... if it was due to lack of development time, that's probably why.

Furealz

Furealz said:

It could be that there was no intent for a Wii U release at the time, but Activision gave it a go late.

Araknie

Araknie said:

Activision has never done a CoD on 1080p on any console. They just suck on the hardware part.