River City Ransom 2 On Hold Indefinitely

Posted by Orla Madden

WiiWare release wasn't worth saving

River City Ransom 2 was announced for WiiWare and PC over a year ago, and was slated for release in 2012. Developer Miracle Kidz, however, has now confirmed via Twitter that this on hold indefinitely; this means it may never see the light of day at all.

The developer has said that it will continue to focus on original games moving forward. This is undoubtedly going to be disappointing for some retro gamers or fans of River City Ransom on NES, though news of WiiWare cancellations isn't much of a surprise at the moment. If you're not familiar with the original, you can find out more in our Wii Virtual Console review.

[via siliconera.com]

hydeks

hydeks said:

not shocking at all. The Wii had lots of promises made, so many of them never fulfilled :P

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

oH snap! I forgot about this sequel. Dang, I wanted it too. RCR is a solid NES game.

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

@rcmadiax
Yes it is. A pretty fun game too.

Not surprised to hear about this. I forgot all about this game until now. Still sucks though.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Scott Pilgrim vs the World is basically River City Ransom 2 and it's also infinetly better than River City Ransom.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Well the original and the remake on GBA were great, the sequel would had to be something but since it's an old franchise with little fanbase the developer probably didn't see any interest for it.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@rcmadiax Its Kunio-kun. Tons of the games are on the VC (at least in Japan). I know some are on the NA or EU VCs using different names for the localizations. Is it possible that the game will be developed for the 3DS e-shop instead, like Night Sky was?

Anyway, there was a new Kunio-kun game released for the 3DS in Japan, so its not like the series is dead by any means.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@Tsuchinoko: I know that on the NA VC there is Super Dodgeball, River City Ransom, and Crash N The Boys Street Challenge and Renegade. I am not sure what their Japanese names are but I know that they are part of the Kunio-kun series. I wish that they would bring out Nintendo World Cup on the VC.

As for River City Ransom 2 thats a shame I was looking forward to the sequel since the first one is my favorite out of all the ones I have played. Hopefully someone else picks it up and releases it.

Omega

Omega said:

Well, it's not a big loss for me. Never heard of this. And I don't like fighting games anyway.

But I'm sorry for those who wanted it.

odd69

odd69 said:

Why not make it for WiiU? river city randsom is something id just throw my money at

Duke_Togo

Duke_Togo said:

This was the very first action/rpg/fighting (any and all combos listed) game I ever played.... And seriously have not found nothing like it since.... Too depressed now...