Pokémon Reorchestrated: Kanto Symphony Released into the Wild

Posted by Mike Mason

Catch it now

A few months ago we brought news that Braxton "Skotein" Burks was working with Joypad Records on a collection of orchestrated Pokémon music, and now we're pleased to tell you that Pokémon Reorchestrated: Kanto Symphony has been completed and sent out into the world.

The 35-track extravaganza covers the soundtrack of Pokémon Red / Blue, developing the 8-bit pieces into full orchestral arrangements that cover all the games' major beats in over 70 minutes of music. You've never heard Pokémon battles sound like this — and at $9.99 US / £7.99 on iTunes, you won't have to resort to Team Rocket-style tactics to afford it either.

At the time of writing, it's battled its way towards the top of a few countries' iTunes soundtrack album charts: in the United Kingdom it's at #4, while it's perched at #3 on both the United States and Canadian soundtrack charts. You can also buy it directly from Joypad Records.

Here's a little taste of what to expect from Pokémon Reorchestrated: Kanto Symphony, including previews of Pallet Town's theme, a gym battle and a tense rendition of the infamous Silph Co. siege.

Charizord

Charizord said:

When I heard the violin in route 3-4...A small tear appeared. :'( Simply beautiful

MegaLegends3

MegaLegends3 said:

Insta-Buy. I really wanted to hear the Gym theme especially. My all time favorite, and criminally under remixed.

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

All my money. TAKE IT!

For 9.99 thats a bargain. Can't wait for the Johto and Unova symphonies!

Shugo

Shugo said:

Considering a replay of one of the old games but with the game muted and this playing instead.

Just wish I didn't have to manually select the song every time I moved to a new area...

Dodger

Dodger said:

I seriously wish the music in the real games sounded this good. Once the series hits the 3DS, there shouldn't be a reason why it can't. Same with the graphics. The current graphics don't look great on the DS. They ceased to look charming a long time ago. I'm quite curious to see what they do with the gen 6 games.

SleepingNinjer

SleepingNinjer said:

It completely transports me to Kanto... It's like waking up, and being there.. I can see it when i close my eyes.. Magical stuff...

With the Bicycle theme i could just feel the wind on my face and see the rolling grass fields.... the sun setting in the distance. Filled with monsters unknown waiting for discovery... This makes me think how amazing a live action movie 'could' be... if done just right

HipsterDashie

HipsterDashie said:

Urgh, it would be nice if they released this on Amazon MP3. I'm not making an iTunes account just for this.

Nanoline

Nanoline said:

The music sounds great, but this is a pretty blatant shattering of Nintendo and GameFreak's trademark and copyright for the purpose of personal profit.

Get it while you can folks, something tells me Nintendo is going to yank this.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

Simply beautiful, haven't had a game soundtrack make me smile like that in a long time. Just goes to show how amazing retro game soundtracks can be, the simple fact that you can take the bleeps & bloops from a couple of gameboy games and have them have them translate into such beautiful music is breathtaking.

@Hipster-Dashie
My thoughts exactly, though luckily someone in my household has one I can use.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

If only Nintendo would do this...and Smash Bros. doesn't count, even though Brawl's Pokemon music was awesome.

Bespinben

Bespinben said:

@Nanoline Teaming up with Joypad Records to cover copyright issues, Skotein actually has full legal permission from Nintendo to profit from the album - Nintendo even receives a share of the royalties on the album.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Gaaaaaaaaaaah! Bought and downloaded the music, but it has NO album data attached and won't let me add it manually! This is absolutely USELESS! Save your money until they fix this crap, folks...there's really no excuse for selling music you can't even put on your portable media player like this. :|

All I wanted to do was download some awesome music for work tonight...but now I'm out of time and wasn't able to find a way to get it on my Walkman in a useable format. Man, this sucks. :(

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

It's not "only on itunes". You can buy direct from the website, and they even support lossless codecs like FLAC. I would buy this, but I'm not a fan of the Pokemon series.

Onett

Onett said:

When I close my eyes and listen to this, I imagine a fully 3D Pokemon adventure. This will make a nice addition to the Pokemon anime OST collection.

Tindre

Tindre said:

Bought it <3

Have to support this level of awesomeness! Pirating things like this is boo!

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

For what it's worth (not that anyone has show interest in my previous post thus far), I was able to contact the creator regarding my problem, and he's working on fixing it now. It's good to know that some people are still big into customer service like that, and I look forward to actually being able to listen to the music I bought.

bluecat

bluecat said:

I just got to experience the Zelda Symphony live again a few days ago and then this comes out! I love hearing video game music played out like this. Totally worth $10. Job well done. Hope they branch out to the other games in the series. :D