Nintendo Power Reader Pays Tribute With a Painting

Posted by Orla Madden

Expresses his love through art

Bry Sharland, a dedicated reader of Nintendo Power since he was 4 years old, has painted an incredible image as a tribute to Nintendo Power magazine, which includes Nintendo's most popular characters; Mario, Zelda, Samus, plus many more notable icons.

Bry has been working on this artwork since August while being involved with two jobs. He says he's "terribly depressed" about having a world without the Nintendo magazine. He also went on to say this in a letter to the publication:

I’m including a painting I started working on in August as soon as I found out the news about the magazine ending. I poured my heart and soul into it. It’s the expression of all the feelings I’ve had, tempered with the sadness of losing you this December. It was really hard getting it done on time, as I work two jobs and often don’t have the time or energy after work. I pray that you will print it, and this letter, in one of your final issues. None of my letters as a kid made it into the magazine, but you were always kind enough to write back to me either way. Thank you for that. Thank you for everything.

Serious kudos to Bry for this, it truly is a work of art. Nintendo Power is set to release its last magazine this December.

[via nintendoeverything.com, neojedi17.deviantart.com]

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

Who is the kid by Link, Mario, Peach, and Kirby? Is that just supposed represent a generic gamer?

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

I love it when people really care about something and are proud to show it! This world would be empty without those people. <3

kesley4884

kesley4884 said:

I believe that kid standing next to Mario and company is Mike Jones from Star Tropics.

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

This is awesome.
This is one of the awesomest fan art paintings I've ever seen.

SageWaterDragon

SageWaterDragon said:

Living in a world without a Nintendo magazine? I don't know if Nintendo Life covered it, but the website now has a paid physical magazine, designed to carry the Nintendo magazine torch. Subscriptions are available now for this once-every-2-months magazine. $10 for digital, $20 for physical.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

I love how the Pikmin are just staring in wonder. Kinda makes sense considering compared to everyone else, they are newcomers (their first game was in 2001 after all).

Anyway, very moving painting. I'm almost crying actually. :(

Shirma_Akayaku

Shirma_Akayaku said:

Man, I'll miss Nintendo Power. I use to have all the issues, even the very first issue, but my mom just "HAD" to throw em' away... :( I still remember a picture in one of the issues where Kirby was outside his restaurant (I think) and Links tunic was being pushed up by the air from the subway vent on the sidewalk (or something).

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

@sketchturner It looks like an Animal crossing character to me.
@WingedFish Olimar and the Pikmin aren't the newest characters there. Issac from Golden sun is there and that came out late 2001 in Japan and America and early 2002 in Europe. Also Lucas is there and Mother 3 came out in 2006. Chibi-robo is there too and his game came out near the end of the Gamecube's life.
That's an amazing piece of fanart. Its good to see Saki from Sin and Punishment; Successor of the Earth there, that game is awesome!

KingDunsparce

KingDunsparce said:

Wow, this is amazing! Even though I'm not subscribed to the magazine right now, I'm going to miss this magazine and I'm definetely going to pick up this last issue.

Emaan

Emaan said:

This was really heartfelt and sweet. I hope it makes it into one of the two final issues, its wonderful.

Fidelin

Fidelin said:

This made me sad. I've never read or seen an issue of Nintendo Power (not living in NA and all), but it's going to be weird not seeing "in the latest issue of Nintendo Power" for references. Hate it when something iconic and historic dies out.

dudey300Staff

dudey300 said:

@ItsInRealLife Am I right in saying he's standing on top of the magazine itself? I'm not 100%, as I wouldn't be a regular Nintendo Power magazine reader. I do have one issue however, got it when I visited NYC when DKCR launched!

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

I wish I had artistic talent. I have got a letter in Nintendo Power before though :D
Oh and who is that to the left of Lucas and Ness?

Punny

Punny said:

I find it oddly fitting to look at this picture while listening to Sarah McLachlan's "I Will Remember You." This is a very moving picture. RIP, Nintendo Power.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

hopefully poster prints get made somehow and this goes up for sale, that painting is the business

dustin_g

dustin_g said:

people would still buy nintendo power, and they would still make money off of it, stupid to shut it down

PadawanofWindu

PadawanofWindu said:

I just want to thank everyone for their amazing comments! I got a little emotional reading some of them.
@ogo79 If you or anyone was serious about wanting a poster print of it, I'd be happy to make one for you. Contact me at neojedi17 at gmail.com
@HawkeyeWii That is Ninten with Lucas and Ness, the hero from Earthbound Zero (Mother 1) and my favorite hero of the 3.