Nintendo Download: 11th October 2012 (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Mario gets on the course, robots are rescued, the one true demo arrives and more

Last week was a bit of a bumper week for the Nintendo Download update in North America, and we have another packed list for you. Every platform is covered in some form, and there's a demo and some videos to fill your time too; let's get right into it.

3DS Downloads

Crazy Kangaroo (Gamelion Studios, $3.99) — This is the latest in the range of smartphone-style games to hit the 3DS eShop, with a tendency to cause 'one more go' syndrome and produce randomly generated levels. On this occasion you guide a hopping kangaroo, of course, from platform to platform while avoiding the water, with some sub-tasks and items to grab hold of as well. At times the story mode in particular feels unbalanced and it's lacking leaderboards, but you can get full details to help decide if this is for you in our Crazy Kangaroo review.

Nurikabe by Nikoli (Hamster Corporation, $4.99) — Quickly becoming the most prolific series on the 3DS download service, good old Nikoli returns with Nurikabe. This will include 50 puzzles that can be played in a progressive Stage Clear mode, or you can beat levels at Random, with the puzzles involving filling in spaces on a square grid using the numbers provided as a guide. We'll wrap our heads around it for a review in the near future.

3DS Virtual Console

Mario Golf (Nintendo, $4.99) — The Game Boy Color version of Mario's golfing exploits arrives, and brings with it some of the well-known sports action that defined Camelot Software Planning's releases in the past. It promises a lot, with the ability to create three players and power them up as you progress, four courses, 12 practice ranges, five play modes and a variety of mini-games. We'll be digging out our clubs to bring you a review soon.

3DS Demo

LEGO Lord of the Rings (Warner Bros., free) — The one demo to rule them all? Well, it's free, so there's no real reason not to try the upcoming LEGO release based on the blockbuster movies, which are based off even more popular books. Depending on the demo you'll get the opportunity to chop enemies down with a sword, shoot them with an arrow or use some wizardry magic. If you're lucky you'll get to do all three.

3DS eShop Video

Spirit Hunters Inc. Videos (Free) — During the next few weeks, a series of videos in the Nintendo eShop will give players a special look at Spirit Hunters Inc. This week, learn how Nic uses his Shadow abilities in a battle, and catch the first installment of the "How to Play" series. These videos will get you ready to hunt the ghostly spirits all around you.

DSiWare

Robot Rescue 2 (Teyon, 200 Points) — This title is, unsurprisingly, a sequel to Robot Rescue on DSiWare, and features the same tile-based puzzling where you move robots through dangerous areas to safety. The catch is that movements are linked, so you have to worry about multiple characters and use various tricks to make it out safely. This one promises 60 levels and three difficulty settings, and we gave the first title 6/10 in our Robot Rescue review. We'll have a verdict on the sequel for you as soon as possible.

Wii Virtual Console

The Last Blade 2 (D4 Enterprise, 900 Points) — When a new download becomes available on the Wii Virtual Console now, the odds are reasonably high that it'll be a Neo Geo arcade fighter. And so we have The Last Blade 2, which is likely to bring sword slashing action along the same lines as predecessor The Last Blade. That may not be a bad thing, as we awarded 9/10 in our The Last Blade review, so we'll see whether the sequel maintains those high standards soon.

Nintendo Video

Meat or Die: Helena (Free) — The newest episode of Meat or Die, the hilarious hit series from Nintendo Video™, premieres Oct. 12. Don't miss Yans & Gans as they employ a mysterious force in their never-ending (and never-successful) quest for meat.

There's certainly some choice this week, as well as a freebie, but will you be putting down any cash for downloads this week? Let us know in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (204 votes)

Crazy Kangaroo (3DS eShop)

Nurikabe by Nikoli (3DS eShop)

Mario Golf (3DS Virtual Console)

29%

Robot Rescue 2 (DSiWare)

The Last Blade 2 (Wii Virtual Console)

11%

Nothing for me this week

57%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

Thank God, I can finally give my wallet a break. Nothing this week for me. whew!

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

Mario Golf GBC is DEFINITELY one I have been looking forward to get for awhile now. The only thing that bothers me is that I noticed the other day that IGN had a list of upcoming games for the North American 3DS VC for up until 12/27/2012 . And for that 12/27/2012 date, we're supposed to be getting Super Mario Bros. : The Lost Levels , our 1ST IMPORT game for the 3DS VC here in the US. I wonder if it's a sign of things to come for all 3DS VC games in all regions seeing as how The Lost Levels was REALLY a FAMICOM game to begin with.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Why is it I can only vote for one game to download? It feels like I'm doing a disservice not being able to vote for multiple quality releases some weeks.

EDIT: Anyway Mario Golf definitely and Robot Rescue 2 a definite maybe.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

At the moment the polls only do one vote per user, which is why we ask what you'll be downloading FIRST, so I guess you can vote for your favourite even if you're getting a few.

It's nice to be in a scenario where there are multiple options worth downloading, though :)

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

I will be playing the crap out of some Mario Golf, please and thank you.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

Mario Golf GBC, interesting. I missed out on that one back when it came out, but if it's even half as fun as Mario Tennis GBC, I should be in for a good time.

fredtoy

fredtoy said:

Maybe I'll not get it this week, but, I voted for Last Blade 2. I love this game and I'm sure I'll get it in a near future.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Would you guys please add the demo as an option? I have NES Open golf thanks to being an ambassador, otherwise that might have been an option. I want a 3DS Mario GOlf game though, so we can play online.

AVahne

AVahne said:

No Liberation Maiden = bad week to me.
And is XSEED having THAT many problems with the 3DS version of Unchained Blades?

Chobi

Chobi said:

Looks to be a soft week. I won't be getting anything this week. Hmm, i wonder what happened to NightSky and Liberation Maiden? I guess they are coming at a later date.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Whoa, The Last Blade 2?! I didn't think that would ever arrive on the Virtual Console. I am definitely picking that one up! :)

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@3Dash - Right, gotcha. In the act of updating the game page for The Last Blade 2 (after this update went live) we found and uploaded some nice screenshots. That one caught our eye and we thought it looked better on the page than the Crazy Kangaroo cover, so we changed it :)

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Finally! Another good GBC game! I am really hoping for Tennis real soon too!
They have enough good or decent Gameboy games to be putting out more good ones like this every other week or so. Not sure why they are so few and far between. Now if it would only connect to Mario Golf on the Wii VC....I really don't see why that's not possible in 2012...

brooks83

brooks83 said:

Now could we please get Pulstar, or Windjammers, or basically ANY Neo Geo game that isn't a 2D fighter next?

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

Mario Golf!! Totally! IGN gave it a 10 out of 10 as one of the best GBC titles of all time. Just sayin'.

Knux

Knux said:

I'll be downloading Mario Golf, since I have never played this version before.

idork99

idork99 said:

Never played Mario Golf so I will download to see what all the fuss is about.

EDIT: After seeing the video footage of the game, I have changed my mind and will no longer be downloading. I wanted to check it out but I feel that this game has not aged well over the years. I'm sure there will be plenty of you downloading this gem for the nostalgia but since I never played it then I feel strongly that I won't enjoy it now. Besides, I already have two solid golf games on the system and really don't need a third one :p

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

@Chobi NightSky is scheduled for an Oct. 25th eShop release, so a later date indeed. I've heard nothing on Liberation Maiden besides "holiday season" and my educated guess that they will release the Guild titles with some space in between them. Perhaps one per month

NTELLIGENTMAN

NTELLIGENTMAN said:

Well, darn it. I used to own Last Blade 2 on the Dreamcast. I bought Part 1 already, but wish I had waited to buy Part 2 as the game is practically the same.

Fabian

Fabian said:

@Koto Don´t complain.Europe had to wait for months to get games like sakura samurai,Mutant Mudds and VVVVVV now it´s time for you to wait for a good game

ueI

ueI said:

Wow! I'm impressed by the recent Last Blade releases. How many Nikoli games are left?

MetalMario

MetalMario said:

I might get Mario Golf if I think it looks good enough, but other than that, nothing.

I wonder how well those Nikoli games are selling anyway.

Nekketsu3D

Nekketsu3D said:

Last Blade is the only thing I would buy ... but if release for eshop, so finally ... nothing for this week again.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

I could ever think Nintendo put wireles connection between Mario Golf GBC with Mario Golf N64 between 3DS and Wii VC services but i´m 99% sure they won´t do it.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

eshop scrolling text bar says we will see Liberation Maiden on the 25th of October

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

How can i download the Spirit Hunter video? it isn´t like the Kid Icarus free video :(

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Liberation Maiden comes out October 25. Same day as NightSky. Check the scrolling bar of the eShop.

As for Spirit Hunters, Where are the videos? It's just a teaser and nothing special.

Samholy

Samholy said:

really enjoyed batman lego. i dont see why i wouldnt get lord of the ring lego :-)

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

UGH.

MUST. PLAY. LAST BLADE 2.

WHY.

WHY MUST I BE OUT OF COUNTRY AT THIS TIME.

AENIGMA

AENIGMA said:

@NTELLIGENTMAN : When I downloaded it, the Dr. Mario screen was there for me as well. When it's on your system, the game's icon is the correct icon. Must be a glitch in the eShop.

Shiromikio

Shiromikio said:

Will try the LOTR demo and take a look at Mario Golf GBC, but will most likely pass on the latter.

BigBluePanda

BigBluePanda said:

Seriously get Mario Golf if you never experienced it back in the day.

Utterly superb addition.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

I hope the lost levels will get released someday. I always wanted to play it on a handheld :)

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@Gridattack

Well, that's the thing I was referring to earlier. IT IS coming to the North American eShop on 12/27/2012 according to IGN. Now, I don't know for sure if their list is COMPLETELY ACCURATE or not? But I do know that Castlevania: The Adventure is supposed to be the next game for the eShop scheduled for 10/25/2012.

@DarkEdi

Response to comment # 47: - I myself was wondering also if they would do the same thing like if they can do a kind of a wireless gig where you transfer data from the Mario Golf GBC game to the N64 title saved on SD Card from the Wii Shop Channel. I would agree with you where it probably can't be done nowadays, me probably thinking that Wii is getting to the point where it's nearly dead with Wii U approaching, but one can only imagine if it's possible.

RR529

RR529 said:

Saving up my money, so nothing (except the demo) for me this week.

Wow! both NightSky & Liberation Maiden on the 25th! My wallet's going to be hurting that day, lol. Also, I believe that'll be the first time there'll be two high calibur "3DSWare" games released in one week.

KAHN

KAHN said:

is Lego LOTR going to be open world like the console versions or will it be that lame DS version without a world to explore?

idork99

idork99 said:

@Stargazer Let's Golf 3D and NES Open Tournament Golf. I call them solid games but wouldn't go as far as calling them excellent nor superb. I'm sure Mario Golf is a better choice from all three but as indicated I already own two golf games and really don't need a third at the moment.

Stargazer

Stargazer said:

@idork99

Understood :-)

I've put about 12 hours into Let's Golf and I am ashamed of this since I would rather be playing Pangya or Mario Golf or Hot Shots on Vita.

Birdman

Birdman said:

Mario Golf and/or Robot Rescue 2, if I get anything soon. Definitely the LEGO LotR demo though.

Hokori

Hokori said:

Is Mario golf like the one for the 64? I tried that and I sucked at it... Same with Wii Sports/Resort Golf, Kirby dream course, and NES Open... Golf games hate me :(

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@HarmoKnight Golf is a complex sport. You kinda have to have good spacial judgement and hand-eye coordination. Not to mention good timing, the ability to guage how much power you need to put on the ball, while factoring in the wind (which you can't feel, but is at least more predictable in a video game).

In short, it takes tons of practice. You're not gonna be good at a Golf game right out of the gate (even if you play the sport, seeing as now you gotta master the controls), unless you're some kind of genius.

What was the point of telling you all that? Simple. Get Mario Golf and practice, darnit. :P

rayword45

rayword45 said:

@Koto Tell me that's a joke, because to expect a game with no set release date (at the time) to come out or otherwise be a bad week is ridiculous

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@rayword45 Except Liberation Maiden has a set release date. It's two weeks from now. And I'm pretty sure that info was out there before he posted that, too.

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

@HarmoKnight: The gameplay's more like NES Open Tour. Golf and then it has the RPG mode like most of the other handheld Mario sport games.

Anyways, not a bad week. And I agree with what brooks83 said about Neo-Geo games. I never liked 2D fighters so it'd be nice if some different Neo-Geo games put up, like its shumps.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@TheN64Dude

To be honest with ya man, I don't think anyone did either. Certainly not me until I saw the info from IGN's site the other day. I think it's one of those kind of surprise titles that pops up for a scheduled release when no one expects it to normally.

Azikira

Azikira said:

:( Lego Lord of the Rings demo was as terrible as expected on the 3DS. Good thing the console counterparts look much more fun

Nnooo

Nnooo said:

@brandonbwii @DarkEdi The videos are now up on the eShop in the US. They are not downloadable instead if you go to coming soon you can see the original trailers and to view the other new ones go to either the recent arrivals video section or search for spirits.

I think next week they will be up in the coming soon section :)

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Ok, I am curious about the linking from N64 to GBC does that work?

You buy a GB Pak (or use the one that came with Pokémon Stadium) which fits into the back of the N64 controller and then you put the GB cartridge into the GB Pak slot. The N64 game will then read the data from the GB game. It won't work for the Virtual Console game.

Windy

Windy said:

No Downloads for me this week either. Any News on HarmoKnight? Thats the next big one im hoping for. Looks awesome. The Guild 01 series looks interesting too although I would have rather seen that released on Cartridge. I guess they need to gouge us somehow

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@Bass_X0

Apparently not if Nintendo took out that choice to transfer data from the GBC version from the eShop to the N64 on Wii. That's the only beef I really have with this game honestly. Of course, I haven't fully looked into the game's manual on the 3DS Home Menu , so I'll have to take another look.