New Super Mario Bros. U Nabbit Chase Stages Revealed

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Dang nabbit!

With launch less than three weeks away for lucky North American gamers, Nintendo has revealed some details for New Super Mario Bros. U. Some are well known and have previously come to light through magazine previews and other sources, such as the fact that the World Map will have a number of routes and secret exits — similar in concept to Super Mario World — as well as news of the various games in Challenge Mode and a Coin Battle multiplayer option.

One new snippet of information, however, relates to a creature called Nabbit, which is a thief that steals items from Mario's trusted Toad friends. Nabbit will appear on the World Map and trigger a chase on various stages; if you catch it you'll receive a P-Acorn, which like the iconic P-Wing will give you continuous flight through a stage. Nintendo's official details are below.

• Challenge Mode: Challenge Mode tasks players with completing specific objectives, such as clearing a course without touching a single coin or touching the ground. There are four single-player Challenge categories: Time Attack, Coin Collection, 1-Up Rally and Special (miscellaneous challenges). Boost Mode Challenges require two players, with one player using the Wii U GamePad controller and the other using a Wii Remote controller. Once players complete a Challenge, the game saves a replay of the action so players can show off their accomplishments.
  • Coin Battle: Up to five players can play together and compete to see who can collect the most coins. One player will use the Wii U GamePad controller while the other four players use the Wii Remote controller. The player using the Wii U GamePad controller in Boost Mode can place Boost Blocks to help grab hard-to-reach coins. Players can also use the GamePad to edit and customize the coin layout in courses found only in Coin Battle. The coin layout can then be saved and played by the players using Wii Remote controllers.
  • World Map: New Super Mario Bros. U is the first side-scrolling Mario game since 1991’s Super Mario World that features a seamless World Map with named worlds and courses. The map contains many secret exits, which might change the map and cause shortcuts to appear. The worlds are interconnected, so people can play through the game in a nonlinear fashion.
  • Nabbit: From time to time, a creature named Nabbit will appear on the world map. Players must enter the course and catch the speedy Nabbit to recover items stolen from Toad. If Nabbit is nabbed, players receive a powerful P-Acorn, which will allow them to fly continuously through an entire stage. The only way to obtain a P-Acorn is to catch Nabbit.

It looks like Nabbit stages could take the place of the Toad rescue equivalents in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and the P-Acorn certainly sounds like a worthwhile prize. So, do these details interest you, and is this one on your list of day-one Wii U purchases?

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

This is sounding more and more like the best NSMB game in the series :D Can't wait to play it!

RCMADIAX

RCMADIAX said:

I'm very excited for this game and is the only one I'll be purchasing day 1 on the shop along side my 32gb system.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@MrWalkieTalkie It certainly sounds similar to the chase levels in Rayman Origins. It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo produces a new trailer later this week, now that it's teased us with details!

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

so there is some sort of completion goal like the 10 million gold coins to collect then, cool

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

That's more like it. Now just a few more hidden secrets like a whistle that whisks you off to a faraway land or maybe a boot to ride in and we'll be all set. I also really hope this game has some darker tones to it later in the campaign.

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

I hope the secret exits aren't as difficult to find as the ones in NSMB2 and NSMB Wii. This is getting ridiculous.

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

With all these other modes of play, it sounds like NSMBU is going to be great! My bros and I will have a lot of fun giving this one a go on Christmas.

TheN64Dude

TheN64Dude said:

That's great, but shouldn't they be announcing a new power-up!?!?!? Do you mean to tell me that they're just gonna remove the penguin suit and have LESS power ups than NSMBWii!?!?!?!?

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

WAIT NEW SUPER MARIO BROS U HAS INKLINGS OF SUPER MARIO WORLD?!?!

...Now I NEED to be a Wii U!

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

The Toad Rescue from the first one was awfully annoying and the reward was so miniscule that I found it aggrevated me more than I cared. The Nabbit this time round however sounds more enjoyable and appeasing, so I'm more than interested this time round.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

@Burning_Spear
I found the secret exits in NSMBWii too easy to find (maybe with the exception of one ghost house level... you know the one I mean) but the ones in SuperMario World were quite difficult. Make it more like those and this will be awesome!

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

DANG! This game gonna be gooood~! I believe Nintendo, This is the one and only 2D Mario Wii U needs. This one is packed to last ages, and lets not forget future DLC packs.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

So that's what the purple, masked character was!
Untitled
It sounds like it'll be more worthwhile than the Toad rescuing from NSMBW, which only gave you three lives. The game keeps getting better, as expected.

Grodus

Grodus said:

This ain't just one more NSMB thattabeen copied over from the other durn games!

SuperMinusWorld

SuperMinusWorld said:

Ahhh, refreshing. This is more like what I've been crying out for in the past months. A little innovation for the series is a good thing, Nintendo. I can definitely see the Challenge Mode and the Coin Editor (hopefully evolving into a level editor) becoming series mainstays. Also, a giant, seamless map with named worlds and courses is definitely what I want to be the standard for all future 2D Mario titles. Nice. The aesthetics and music could use a little refresh (as far as character models and instruments/synths used, respectively, go). As a whole, though, Nintendo seems to be looking to correct its past mistakes with the uninspired first 3.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Looking good. Also im surprised to see a coin editor thing. Now just give us a level editor and it will be like the best thing ever (we wont have to resort into hacking the game and modifying the levels :P )

And the SMW style map sounds awesome.

Now I really need a wii U ;_;

erv

erv said:

SO buying this game. Oh boy, I need to rethink my finances...

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I hope that map has shortcuts (similar to Star Road in SMW) so it won't be a drag to go back to old levels once you are deep inside the game.

And that Nabbit reminds me of a Rabbid. Those ears and those eyes....

Super-Mario-Fan

Super-Mario-Fan said:

Looks to me that it's Bowser jr. in a rabbit costume that mouth mark gives it away.......This is cool! A lot better than those toad rescues....