Japanese eBook Service Delayed For Nintendo 3DS

Posted by Orla Madden

Will be turning pages in the near future

We reported last month that Librica was to launch a 3DS application - Bookstore Anywhere - for the 3DS this month in Japan. Sadly, it has since been confirmed that the service has been delayed.

Librica has said the hold up is due to the team's desire to make further improvements to the app, and that a new release date will given at another stage in the future.

Bookstore Anywhere will be a free download which enables users to purchase manga, light novels and magazines. Would you like to see this type of service make it's way to the West? Better let us know in the comments section!

[via siliconera.com]

nintendoMAN

nintendoMAN said:

sounds great! is it limited to only manga ans such or does it have the variety of say the kindle. and how much space would this take up?

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

This sounds like a fantastic application. I do hope Nintendo brings it to NA.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Want this SOOOOO much! Odds of it coming West? Probably less than zero. Somehow.

SilverArrow

SilverArrow said:

They should have a eBook reader on the 3DS period. Just put my books on the SD Card and read. :/

P184

P184 said:

@Gate_Shikimuri I agree, a book reader should have been standard. I did manage to find a way to read ebooks on the 3DS using the browser which accepts .txt files.

I converted an ebook to the aforementioned format then hosted it on a server and then typed the address into the browser. Then just bookmark it.

Still, an app would be so much better.

Mowzle

Mowzle said:

I agree that a basic eReading App needs to be standard on the 3DS. It should accept ePub books, which is the main format for all eReaders now, apart from Kindle. It would be a real boon. I think it would be too complicated to design it for books which are covered by digital rights management, but there are thousands of out of copyright books readily available. eBooks would take up very little space on an SD card.

WesCash

WesCash said:

I've got my kindle, so I don't need this. I don't think the 3DS is really made for ebooks. Reading books on a 3DS would be uncomfortable and awkward.

I still like having different devices for different things!

weirdproq

weirdproq said:

Would love to read some One Piece manga on my 3DS in the west. I also would like to have some of that Zelda, Mega Man, Kingdom Hearts and Gon manga on there. Also wish there would be Tintin, Asterix and the Smurfs on there if this ever came to the west.

Hokori

Hokori said:

Weird I remember when the DSi came out people said the store would be great for books, but now that Kindles are out people hate the idea? I still love it since IDC to buy a Kindle or what ever to read Manga

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

If extra improvements are need, then that's fine, i want this app to be at its peak, and I am looking forward to its World-Wide release ;)

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

@HarmoKnight: That's because the Kindle is a dedicated eReader with combined technology and services that make the concept of digital reading more attractive on its device. Ever since it's been released, any other incomparable device that could incorporate eBooks would not measure up, i.e. the 3DS, a gaming handheld.

@zerks: They said light novels, bro! :P

I like the idea of an eBook services on the 3DS, but it isn't really beneficial to reading to be honest. The screen, battery life and size are crippling, but the 3DS XL might prove alright-ish. I'd like to see this come to the West though, as it'd be a great mini pocket eReader for when I'm out and about.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I might pick this up if it came to the west, it would be good to read some manga on my 3DS and I wonder what sort of magazines would be available on it if it came out in the west.

MAXIMUS

MAXIMUS said:

I'd like to see a Marvel, DC, or Comixology app on my 3DS XL. That would be so kind.

millarrp

millarrp said:

I would probably snatch this up if it comes west...I hope that it would include titles that I've heard of...

Klunk23

Klunk23 said:

i want it here in America so badly. The fact that it shows one piece in the picture makes me really happy. If this does not come to america then I will eat my own foot of for no reason at all. Thats right Librica, that will be on you.