GameStop Kids Store Launches, 80 More Planned

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Mario and Pokémon plushes a-hoy!

Are you tired of going into a video game store and seeing M-rated games covering the shelves, with rows and rows of box covers full of guns and snarling faces? Help is at hand, if you live in the U.S. near Grapevine Mills Mall in TX, as there's a new GameStop Kids store in town. The first of a new range of 80 stores to open by 15th November, these outlets will be packed full of games rated for everyone, as well as an undoubtedly dizzying range of accessories, plushes and cute things.

It's an interesting idea, and clearly the bosses at GameStop see an opportunity and market to make a lot of money, otherwise they wouldn't do it. It'll undoubtedly be on Nintendo's radar, too, as whether we like it or not a major part of the big N's image and focus is on younger gamers. We do get mature content on Nintendo systems, but plenty of our games are designed with everyone in mind, be they kids or big kids. If these GameStop Kids stores don't have a significant variety of Mario and Pokémon themed toys — plus various others — alongside their respective games, then we'll be amazed.

Still, you don't need to be a child to go into one of these stores — though maybe take one with you to avoid embarrassment — as even a quick browse of the GameStop Kids website will show you delights including an Assassin's Creed Plush: bringing the cute to mature games near you.

Are you up for a nice cheerful store where you can buy an assortment of toys with your game? Let us know what you think in the comments below.

[via joystiq.com]

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

I'm a 23 year old male and would probably be in ther emore then the regular store. :p Can't get any better then Mario, Zelda, and Donkey Kong in my opinion

Knux

Knux said:

If I was a kid when this happened, I think I would have fainted due to excitement...since I was plush fanatic when I was a kid. :$

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

Oh wow that assasins creed doll's head is huge. Creepy.

That Tardis mug on the other hand.... Want!

Abcdude

Abcdude said:

Great store for parents that don't want to glare at M-rated box arts.
Also, great for collectors. All those plushies.
But at the same time, I don't like them video games sound "Kiddy".

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

I have to agree with some of you, I'd love to have something similar in the UK. If that makes me a big kid, then so be it :)

Abcdude

Abcdude said:

I took a quick look at the site, man do they have alot. Also, is that a kirby plush in the picture?

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

I'm scared that ignorant "gamers" that think you need blood, guns, and curses to have a what they call a "real game" will take this as an excuse to prove themselves right that Nintendo games are for babies and little kids. But I still think this is a unique idea. It'll help keep them little ones from wanting to buy Call of Duty or Assassins Creed at the age of 6 which is downright rediculous.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

@MrWalkieTalkie

Yeah, I agree with him. I hope people won't use this to judge the good Nintendo E rated games, but it will at least help keep kids away from stuff they shouldn't be playing.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Probably will still have the same kind of crooked employees that all Gamestops have.

DrKarl

DrKarl said:

I think that Gamestop is quite concerned about the rise of digital distribution. Most consumers of Mature games are tech savvy enough to make the transition sooner or later. I think that Gamestop is forecasting an ever dwindling number of Mature gaming customers in its retail stores.

However, non gamer parents and grandparents may be very clueless and apprehensive about the concept of buying games/gifts digitally. I see this as less of a secondary avenue for Gamestop, but more of an actual re-branding of the entire store.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

Big thumbs up for this move. I love the idea of wandering down an Ilse without all of the gnarly and gruff things going on all over. A decent concept that helps to keep kids from that sort of thing is awesome in my book. And collectibles are a big plus on the side. I want some Pikmin plushies when Pikmin 3 comes out.

jer18

jer18 said:

good work Gamestop, I would definitely check this out if it came to the malls in my area.

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

"It's an interesting idea, and clearly the bosses at GameSpot..."

GameSpot? Don't you mean GameStop?

Anyway, this is a somewhat intresting idea, and it has got me curious. I still don't understand why we need both a regular store and a kids store, though. This isn't like how it is with Toys 'R Us and Kids 'R Us, IMO.

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

It's an interesting idea, and I'm surprised that there is apparently enough demand to make this viable. Particularly so since it sounds as if new stores are being opened, rather than existing Gamestop stores being rebranded - GS must expect that the additional revenue will be worth the cost of rent, employees, utilities etc.

I'll be interested to see how it goes.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

This is awesome! It should've been done years ago! I would probably be more tempted to go in there simply because I despise games that offer violence for the sake of it. I might like some mature-rated games... I can't wait to get my hands on ZombiU, but still 95% of my gaming collection is made up of games that are more 'child-friendly'.

Furealz

Furealz said:

No, that sounds horrible! Gamestop Kids, rename it "Gamestop for Gamers with Real Taste in Games"

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Texas is the last place in the country that is afraid of exposing guns to kids, instead they teach their kids how to use guns properly.

At any rate while I am an adamant fan of plushies, I find high quality ones designed and/or made outside of Japan few and far in between. Still, a store with video game merchandise instead of just games wall to wall is welcome and rare.

I absolutely have no problem with Nintendo having games and systems targeted at kids, my issue is if their systems and games are designed for kids to the extent they hinder the freedom and enjoyment of adults.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I'm worried that @MrWalkieTalkie may be right about certain gamers using this as an excuse to bash Nintendo so I'm not sure if I'd want this in the UK but I like the sound of game stores that sell plushies and other collectibles.

SMW

SMW said:

I'm 26 and I would pick these stores over the original. Especially for plushies.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

I'm 24. If they put one of these stores over where I live I might go in to look & check it out. :) Maybe the employee's might actually be friendlier in there considering most of the customer's would be kids. :)

Besides I like to buy mostly E rated any way's. Tried the other rating's like E10, T, & M & usually get stuck on the first level then trading in the game out of frustation so any more so I stick with the E rated games. :)

I don't know why any one would be embarrassed to go in there who is older like an adult heck I shop at Build a Bear Store every once in a while for clothes for my stuff animals. It's nothing to be embarrassed about they run a store/business they want customer's so every body win's. :D

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

dogmaster312

dogmaster312 said:

i hope i get one where i live. i live in the only freaking town in the us that doesn't have a gamestop!! but noooo all we need is about 30 pizza places.

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

"Are you tired of going into a video game store and seeing M-rated games covering the shelves, with rows and rows of box covers full of guns and snarling faces?"
Yes, yes I am. I have never been interested in M-Rated games, so this may be right up my alley.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Sounds like Gamestop 'Ninty' to me. I would go in here for the plushies and such. Its nice they're trying to appeal to a larger audience, Gamestop has always been kind of geared towards young adults.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

Finally, a place where I can collect some non game, but still game related, merchandise. I approve of this idea! :)

Konata

Konata said:

Looks very cool.
I hope this idea works! :D

Just checked out the site, none near where I live but One near where I'm going on vacation next month.
Excited to check it out!

Ras

Ras said:

I do indeedily live reasonably close to Grapevine Mills, though I've never been there. I wouldn't need this store personally, since I can get my adorably sweet Paper Mario goodness anywhere, but it's nice for its target audience. I feel like the mothers would look at me with alarm if I was in a Kids store. I don't have any, you see.

Void

Void said:

I bet they'll sell Call of Duty there.
I mean, more kids play that than anything else.

ueI

ueI said:

I think this is kind of pointless since regular Gamestops already sell games ok for kids. The plushies sound nice, though.

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

Might check this out, one's opening in the mall right by me. Though they already have a normal GameStop in there, so I wonder if that's replacing it.

arrmixer

arrmixer said:

There was actually a store listed at a mall I was just at with my wife here in south florida... I'll definitely keep a look out for the store...

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

I would totally shop here. Most M rated games these days are boring anyways imo because they focus to much on realism and shoot shoot shoot, kill kill kill, run run run, take cover formula waaay to much. I'll take fantasy, creative, fun games any day. Man I'm still a big kid!

Gamesake

Gamesake said:

So now there's a Game Stop for children along side the one for adult children? This seems unnecessary.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Man, why couldn't they have done this a few months ago when I was actually able to visit GMM? >:C

NTELLIGENTMAN

NTELLIGENTMAN said:

I wonder if we'll see a GameStop Adults store featuring nothing but Adults Only games. Of course, that store would be the size of a mall vendor cart.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

I would totally shop at one too...if there was actually one for miles from where I live. There aren't any in Mississippi, Alabama, nor Tennessee :O

R-L-A-George

R-L-A-George said:

Seems cool. XD

Emaan wrote:

Well, don't forget. Leapfrog, etc. Kid's have there own part of the gaming industry, Nintendo just happens to be closer to the center of the gaming industry.

The advantage is they can put the learning tablets and gaming handhelds that are normally carried at walmart and toys r us. Can be carried there without offending their usual customers.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

Normally I hate seeing things kidified, but its not a bad idea. Non nearby me but maybe thats a good thing since I like plushies as much as the next guy but I'm a sucker for figurines.

I imagine they'll have just as many older customers as the younger ones.

brooks83

brooks83 said:

It's kinda cool considering I live so close to Grapevine Mills Mall. I still don't like Gamestop though lol.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

the demographic results of the customers going in there is going to be very VERY interesting

Kitsune_Rei

Kitsune_Rei said:

I would definitely go in one of these, I don't like a lot of M games anyway. Though I have to question selling toys for stuff that isn't really kids genre- Big Bang Theory? Assassin's Creed plush? Arkham Asylum figures? I know kids are generally interested in M game related stuff, but I feel like that's somehow breaking the kids-only since those games/shows aren't for them.
I need more Pokemon plushes!!

scrubbyscum999

scrubbyscum999 said:

I guess not necessary but I have a feeling I would be in that store more than regular Gamestop. They have collectible goodies plus most games I plat are rated E-T.

JimLad

JimLad said:

It's pretty sad that there needs to be a seperate store. I remember when the majority of video games were designed for kids/everyone. It was back when platformers ruled the roost and we didn't need gore to sell a game.
sigh I miss those days...