Aksys Releases Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward OVA

Posted by Shaan Joshi

"I want to play a game"

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward is set to release next week in North America, and publisher Aksys Games has taken the opportunity to release the game's anime prologue.

Dubbed in English, the video reveals how main character Sigma was kidnapped, and how he must work together with eight other captives to escape the Nonary Game, hosted by a rather eccentric rabbit avatar named Zero III.

Zero Escape is a sequel to the cult-hit 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, and is set to deliver a 'lethal dose' of escape the room puzzles and a thrilling story. With 24 different endings, multiple difficulty levels, and fully voiced dialogue, Zero Escape is looking to one-up its predecessor in about every way.

[via youtube.com]

Jamouse

Jamouse said:

I'm very grateful that this game will be subbed after watching the video.

SuperconsoleAdmin

Superconsole said:

The rabbit sounds much much better in Japanese! But Sigma's voice sounds pretty good dubbed :)

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

Huh, the voice acting is pretty good. And yet, Europe gets stuck with the Japanese language version. Unless that changes (Extremely unlikely) I'll be giving this a miss.

It's a shame too, this trailer would be getting me pretty hyped otherwise.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

Ok, I'm convinced. I'm interested, but I'll wait for a review first

gefflt

gefflt said:

Can't wait!!!

I'm buying it as soon as it comes out. I won't watch the video though, as I don't want to spoil the fun.

ArcanaXVI

ArcanaXVI said:

Been waiting for this game ever since it was announced. This only has me more excited than I was in the first place.

Chobi

Chobi said:

So this is like the cartoon video game version of Saw? It looks interesting. Awesome good to hear that it's going to be fully voiced.

moomoo

moomoo said:

I'm buying this day 1. I was a huge fan of 999 and I can't wait for this!

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

@DoctorJohnAngus

Nope. It's not happening. I liked 999, but Japanese (Well, non english) voice acting straight up ruins games for me. English or nonsensical noises I can live with, but I really absolutely do not want to support ridiculous decisions when there is already a full on English Translation in existence that they refuse to include.

Include the Japanese dub if you wish, but they had better make it an option, and not force it on people.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@moomoo: Based on the demo for the game, turning off the voices won't be an option short of muting the whole system. That seems needlessly drastic to me.

@Linkstrikesback: It sounds to me like your best option is to import the Vita version of the game...since Sony's smart enough to leave region locks out of their hardware.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Awwww crap :)

I LOVED 999 and it came by recommendation by a friend of mine... he will be pleased as punch to hear about a sequel.

kilicool64

kilicool64 said:

@Gamesake I heard that from people who played the Japanese version though, so they're familliar with the language. Personally, I think the Japanese voice-acting was quite a bit better in the OVA, though I don't speak Japanese, so I can't judge it perfectly.

Rapido

Rapido said:

UH YEAH.

Hmmm, also has VIta Counterpart. But I bet it'll be better with 3DS as most 2D games so far looks AWESOME in Stereoscopic 3D.

pariah164

pariah164 said:

AWWWW YEAH

Food? Sleep? Both those things will be of no use to me once this game hits. Seriously, I was up for about 2 weeks straight with about 3 hours sleep playing 999, and this game looks to suck me in just as much, if not more. (24 endings, ohmygod).

pariah164

pariah164 said:

Also, to everyone complaining about the languages:

"Dual Language Support – Early cases show that VLR allows communication in both English and Japanese, with dialog playable in both languages."

There. Now everyone go buy the game so they keep getting licensed.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Rapido: But Virtue's Last Reward is actually rendered in 3D, unlike its predecessor.

@pariah164: Pro tip: Quoting from Aksys' press release to reassure European gamers (a region where Rising Star Games is publishing the game) isn't terribly helpful.