3DS and Bravely Default Flying High in Japanese Charts

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

As expected, really

We've often reported that 3DS is performing particularly well in Japan, and that trend is continuing this week with the release of Bravely Default: Flying Fairy, the eagerly anticipated RPG from Square Enix. When considered alongside recent positive news about 3DS software sales in North America, it seems as if Nintendo's handheld is enjoying a strong period.

In terms of 3DS hardware sales in Japan this week, the XL — or LL as it's known in Nintendo's homeland — shifted 52,079 units, while the original model sold 27,221. That's a combined weekly figure of 79,300, with lifetime sales to date in the country totalling 7,686,679 systems. That's a big number for Japan-only sales so far, and Nintendo's no doubt hoping that worldwide results will be equally impressive.

As expected, Bravely Default: Flying Fairy topped the software chart in its début week, with 141,529 sales, while Project X Zone entered the charts in third place with 85,539. There were five 3DS games in the top ten, which you can see below — lifetime sales are in parenthesis.

01. Bravely Default: Flying Fairy — 141,529 (3DS)
02. Resident Evil 6 — 92,921 (727,854) (PS3)
03. Project X Zone — 85,539 (3DS)
04. Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 — 50,144 (274,028) (PS3)
05. Time and Eternity: Toki Towa — 32,215 (PS3)
06. New Super Mario Bros. 2 — 29,651 (1,246,707) (3DS)
07. Style Savvy: Trendsetters — 22,195 (122,391) (3DS)
08. Run for Money Tousouchuu — 18,458 (190,370) (3DS)
09. Rocksmith — 13,964 (PS3)
10. Diabolik Lovers — 13,173 (PSP)

Another good week for the handheld and some of its software, with no signs yet of significantly decreasing demand. It'll also be interesting to see whether 3DS sales are sustained once Wii U enters the scene later this year.

[via siliconera.com]

Related Games

Hokori

Hokori said:

Project X zone, Bravely Defuly: Flying Fary, Harmo Knight, samurai warriors Chronicles 2nd please come to US and be on eShop

Hokori

Hokori said:

@Boo_Buster Not in Japan, the only place that counts for Nintendos future anyway, because even if they lose the west they can always stay in the east and be awesome there. I hope not because it'll make a lot of fans mad, but if it does happen I'll still be getting my Nintendo fix when I'm over there

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

"it seems as if Nintendo's handheld is enjoying a strong period." Am I the only one seeing red? ;)

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

I don't think the Wii U will hamper 3DS sales that much in Japan. It's all about the handhelds over there!

Windy

Windy said:

Go Go Go! lol This is quality software! hee hee Bravely Default and HarmoKnight please. oh and dont forget about about Project X for everyone waiting on those quality titles.

TysonOfTime

TysonOfTime said:

In other sales related news, the Vita had it's lowest week of sales in Japan. A shame.
If it ever gets something I really want besides Gravity Rush I'll jump on it.

Looking good for the 3DS. I expect those games to be brought over here... Okay, maybe demand them.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@Boo_Buster Actually, in Japan, its quite the opposite, where there's a strong movement towards handhelds. Its home console gaming that's been seeing some hard times in Japan, while 3DS games and hardware have been dominating the market, and of course iOS games and PSP don't do so bad either.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

On a side-note, I was lucky I bought Bravely Default when I did. The game is sold out in a lot of stores. I think Nintendo underestimated slightly the amount of interest in the game. So expect sales next week to be high as well.

TheRavingTimes

TheRavingTimes said:

It would be silly for Nintendo in the West to pass down on the chance of bringing AAA titles like Fire Emblem Awakening, Project X Zone, Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney, and Bravely Default to us. If everyone wants it then Reggie should be frantically pacing back and fourth thinking about how much profit this will earn him with his salary.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@Guys saying Nintendo should bring these games here

Nintendo's, like, the last resort for third-party titles, guys. These games are from companies that have their own American publishing branches. I think those should be ones to bring these games over. Not Nintendo.

Samholy

Samholy said:

3ds and ps3 only ? thats about the consoles i have at home... nice
screw you microsoft, go back to your pc !

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Since its from Square-Enix, I think its likely that we will get Bravely Default: Flying fairy. Their games are rarely Japan-only these days. Hopefully it won't be too long before we have an idea of when we'll get it.