Square Enix Trademark Reveals New Mana Game

Posted by Damien McFerran

Sequel to Secret of Mana on the way?

Square Enix has trademarked the name Circle of Mana, which would suggest that the company is planning a new entry in the popular series which started way back in 1993 with the localisation of Seiken Densetsu 2 - better known to western players as Secret of Mana.

The franchise has since appeared on a wide range of formats, with the most recent outing being the RTS hybrid Heroes of Mana, which hit the Nintendo DS back in 2007.

No word on which format this mystery game will be headed to - it could well be an iPhone release for all we know - but the series has a strong connection with Nintendo systems, so our fingers are firmly crossed for a 3DS or possibly even a Wii U outing.

[via destructoid.com, gematsu.com]

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Don't play with my childhood, Square-Enix! I would surely pick a new, good "Mana" game day one but do you still know how to make a proper one?

Denkou

Denkou said:

I really hope this is something good, but knowing square, they're just going to butcher this thing entirely. The last three mana games ranged from adequate to terrible, and I fear that squeenix is intent to maintain that pattern. Quote from the main producer of SoM: "The mana series is whatever I want it to be." Seeing as how squeenix has a personal vendetta against its fanbase, this may not be what anyone is hoping for. Good news for iOS gamers though.

Riquerico

Riquerico said:

Seiken Densetsu 3 will finally launch in the west! BELIEVE!

Yeah, I know it won't be... =(

abINC4L

abINC4L said:

Hopefully a Wii U entry since an amazing RPG could boost sales for it.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

I played the original but none of the sequels. It was ok to good at best and a lot of the finer points are that you could have a 2-player in the main game on and off. I won't be rushing to get any new Mana game but you never know...

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

Hopefully this one will be like Sieken Densetsu 3. That game was too amazing for its own good. I'm hoping for 360 3DS or Wii U. But knowing Squeenix I have a feeling this will be Sony only systems

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I hope its an adventure game like Secret of Mana. I didnt like the dungeon crawler direction that Children of Mana went or the RTS that Heroes of Mana went.

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

Um, why does the tagline say 'sequel to secret of mana on the way!?'

That's like hearing about the next main series final fantasy and saying "sequel to Final Fantasy IV!?!?!"

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

They need to stop whoring out the series to different genres. Just make another Mana like SD2 and we're good. Children of Mana was close, but it was a dungeon crawler... not was SD2 was. And SE, what would it take for you guys to translate SD3 properly for us, eh? I'd really like to play a non-emulated version please...

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

No fancy stuff Square Enix, I don't want a dungeon crawler, a strategy/tactic game, an action adventure, or an MMO, I just want a full-fledge Mana co-op RPG. Release it for 3DS or Wii U and you'll get my money.

Link-Hero

Link-Hero said:

Hope this means they will finally officially localize Seiken Densetsu 3 into other countries besides Japan. Heard it's the best game in the Mana franchise.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Secret of Mana was my favorite Square-developed SNES game. Hopefully the new one will be for Wii U, I'd like some more reasons to invest in it besides just Mario and Zelda.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@Radbot42

I wouldn't rule out a release on Nintendo systems. The days of SE going with just Sony disappeared when FF XIII was announced for 360.

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

I was excited for half a second, then I realized that Square Enix is making it.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

Is this a trademark by SE North America, or SE Japan? If it's North America, why couldn't it be a release of Seiken Densetsu 3? At this time, calling it Secret of Mana 2 might cause too much consumer confusion (2? eh? wha? where was 1?) so giving it it's own name would make sense at this time.