Sorry Lost Planet Fans, EX Troopers Isn't Coming To The West

Posted by Damien McFerran

Anime-style action title remains a Japanese exclusive

Capcom's Corporate Officer and Senior Vice-President Christian Svensson has confirmed that the company currently has no plans to bring Lost Planet spin-off EX Troopers to the west.

The disappointing news was delivered in an 'Ask Capcom' thread on the company's official forums.

The forum member's original question actually related to the thorny issue of the Mega Man series, and a recent comment by Svensson that he feels the franchise has too many 'sub series'. To counter this argument, the forum poster mentioned EX Troopers based on the fact that it's a sub series of Lost Planet, seemingly making the assumption that the game would be heading out of Japan.

Svensson's response was:

No because EX Troopers isn't part of the LP series officially (thus the difference in name) nor are there plans to bring it Westward at this time.

So there you have it - Capcom isn't looking to translate and publish EX Troopers outside of its native Japan, where it launches on November 22nd of this year.

Just to rub salt in the wound, here's a lovely trailer for said game. Enjoy it through the tears you will inevitably weep.

[via capcom-unity.com]

Chuie

Chuie said:

all we get are them retarted wrpgs i want more japanese games :(

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

I can't say that this is a huge blow for me, but I think that if an advert said 'Coming to PS3 and 3DS' that could fool people into thinking that the 3DS is capable of matching the graphics of the PS3. Muhahahahaha!! >:)

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

Capcom "No monster hunter, Megaman or EX troopers for you. Instead you get this middle finger straight from our CEO!"

Bankai

Bankai said:

That's because in Japan enough people would buy this game to make it worthwhile.

Meanwhile in the west... Lolno

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Ever since the cancellation of Mega Man Legends 3 Ive lost all respect for you Capcom. And making this a Japan exclusive is only bringing you deeper down that road.

hydeks

hydeks said:

No wonder people are starting to call them Crapcom :P This is truly disappointing to me, I thought this was one third party game to look forward too, but guess not -_-

@MrWalkieTalkie agreed, since Mega Man Legends 3 has been canned, I've been starting to dislike Capcom too :(

Azikira

Azikira said:

Thank you so much Crapcom, for caring so deeply about your fans. No really, I appreciate it sooooo much.

Bankai

Bankai said:

"I would have bought the game so clearly it would have been a big success!"

I feel sorry for Capcom. It has managed to pick up the lion's share of irrational fans, judging from the way people react to Capcom news.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

i start to understand why everyone hates capcom. they really don't care about their fans anymore.

the game looks so cool and stylish. hope capcom will change their minds again

Azikira

Azikira said:

@OlympicCho: If they would ever release good news, then maybe the fans wouldn't be so irate at them. So far all we really get is "Cancelled", "Features cut" and "not going global"

Void

Void said:

I wasn't too interested in this game, but it worries me that the next thing they will announce is that MH isn't popular enough in the west so they won't bring any future games out side of Japan.

Windy

Windy said:

It figures Nintendo Holds back games why shouldn't capcom do it as well. We can always just buy up all the old DS games from ebay and play those :p

AVahne

AVahne said:

Well...that's another game I'll be buying for the Japanese white 3DS XL I plan on buying next year.

Csaw

Csaw said:

@OlympicCho agreed. I can understand the resentment for megaman, given the lame excuse they gave, but realistically, does anyone think that an anime styled spin off shooter from a series that isn't very popular is going to sell well in the US or Europe. It's not.
Monster hunter is already confirmed to be coming to the west (which one I don't know but 1 of them), ace attorney is coming, so yes they do still pay attention to the west.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Noooo, it did look so cool! It's time for another operation guys: Operation Snowfall!!

cyphid

cyphid said:

I truly believe a lot games would benefit as digital distribution. Capcom could release games such as EX Troopers on the eShop to directly track the performance and sales.

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

I like how a series that exists solely to appeal to the west has a side game being released solely in Japan.

yeah but I can't blame them for not thinking an interesting game would actually sell. I mean I could put at least some of the blame on Capcom's inability to market original games, but then I would have to blame almost everyone else's ability to market original games. Do I need to make another list of intereting games people refused to buy?

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

if this game was released in the west, i'm sure there will be plenty of 3DS owners who would be interested in buying this, but alas, this is not going to happen.

i guess capcom will continue releasing and milking streetfighter and resident evil games to death then.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

Sigh. If not for continued hope for Monster Hunter in the West, I'm not sure I'd have any reason to even think about Capcom at this point. They've been getting worse and worse the last 5 years, and it seems like every bit of news about them just further destroys their reputation in my eyes. What happened to the time when Capcom was worth liking?

accc

accc said:

I hope Capcom goes out of business soon... the only games of theirs I care about, they don't bother to bring over.

RR529

RR529 said:

This is a big dissapointment for me. This is one of the 3DS games I was really looking forward to.

Bankai

Bankai said:

@accc Yeah I would like to see thousands and thousands of people lose their jobs because I didn't get to play a game I will forget about in a year, too.

LexKitteh

LexKitteh said:

Wow, Crapcom disappoints yet again.. I really was trying to have faith in them, but again another amazing looking game is going to pass us by. I can't understand this logic when they can add retail titles to the eShop, and avoid all the hassles of shipping, production, etc.. :( So extremely disappointed...

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Gotta love Capcom. >_>
They better not start doing this with Okami, its the only other reason I actually care about these guys. (that and Monster Hunter)

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

@Erica_Hartmann I don't think they would do it with Okami, they know for a fact that it would sell pretty well, so there's a high probability that they would sell it out of Japan. But a tittle like this that they have no idea on, it's a risky thing to do since the western market is dominated by first person shooters, an Anime-esque game may not sell as well, they probably took this into account, then again, Okami sold extremely well...

Edit: After reading this over I've noticed that I basically contradicted myself in the largest way possible.

Bankai

Bankai said:

@kkslider5552000 Which Sony/ SE new IP has been marketed "well?" I'm honestly struggling to think of any. Little Big Planet, I guess.

It is incredibly expensive to market a new IP, vs an established franchise. We're talking in many multiples to gain the same market traction. You'll find the games industry, when it does create a new IP, now takes a long-term view of the franchise. I.e. it knows the first one will underperform in the market, but the marketing goal is to sell enough copies to justify a sequel. If the franchise is going to be a successful one, it's the second game that needs to take the market by storm - and you'll find marketing budgets for the sequel tend to be elevated.

Considering that Capcom has probably the most successful new IP at the end of the console generation - Dragon's Dogma - I really don't think it's fair to say Capcom is incapable of investing in new IP, or marketing them (any moreso than anyone else in the industry). People underestimate just how hard and costly this stuff is to do.

Demon's Souls/ Dark Souls is the perfect example of how new IP marketing works now. The first game was released to almost no fanfare, but Dark Souls had a big marketing budget, because the first game proved it was a potential hit franchise.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

lol, well I'm just saying, cancelling Mega Man, tormenting Monster Hunter fans (myself included), and now this...people have no idea what they'll do next. Probably an all-new HD Okami game could be announced and then cancelled for no reason or whatever, lol

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

I admit that there is a lot of stuff that I don't agree what Capcom is doing lately but I don't hate em. It sucks what they did with Mega Man(not much of fan anyways) I can't stand the fact that they won't release Miles Edgeworth 2 outside of Japan.(I love the Ace Attroney series) And the whole DLC thing with Street Fighter X Tekken is a huge mess( I do really like this game though) I'm just glad Ace Attroney 5 will be released in the west and I hope RE6 turns out ok, I really enjoyed Revelations. This Lost Planet spin off game does not really bother me cause I really did forget about it if it had not been for this article.

Windy

Windy said:

@Csaw

"Monster hunter is already confirmed to be coming to the west (which one I don't know but 1 of them), ace attorney is coming, so yes they do still pay attention to the west"

ummm. There has been no confirmation yet for Monster Hunter. So goodluck to you

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

I don't really care about this game, but still, this is why I hate region-locking. A game like this might not sell well enough outside of Japan, but it would be nice to have the option of importing it and not having to buy a foreign console to go with it.

Csaw

Csaw said:

@Windy and @Erica_Hartman it's more then just news. They confirmed that a monster hunter game is coming to north America, but they wouldn't say which one. Check nintendo 3ds blog for confirmation (not sure what the rules for posting links are here so I won't).

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

@OlympicCho Dragon's Dogma could be I guess. I have my doubts though. I should really emphasize Ubisoft though because both ZombiU and Watchdogs already have legit hype behind them and I'd be surprised if they don't sell well. To Capcom's credit, they have that new, really interesting memory based game...I forget what it's called but I could see that doing decently well.

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

well, Capcom can smash dreams sometimes, lets just hope that MH is released soon ;)

Lan

Lan said:

I've always loved Capcom. Great childhood memories of Mega Man X and Street Fighter 2. And I still liked them through all the on-disc DLC and the cancellation of Mega Man Legends 3. But it's getting hard to still like them when they never do anything positive for us in the west.

Bankai

Bankai said:

@kkslider5552000 Ubisoft is running on very high margins though, so it can afford to throw more money at creating and marketing new IPs. Have a look at Capcom's financials. They don't justify the same kind of risk profile that Ubi can run at, so the fact that Dragon's Dogma exists at all, let alone was marketed into a successful franchise launch is impressive.

You can thank Just Dance for a significant chunk of that money. This is why gamers should be thankful for "shovelware".

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

Yeah, guys don't forget that Megaman Legends 3 was cancelled everywhere, so we in Japan don't get it either. :(

BTW, I always feel inclined to apologize when a Japanese-exclusive game comes out and I have no interest in it, but others in other regions do, like Ex-Troopers, or Dragon Quest Terry's Wonderland, Culdcept, Shin Megami Tense 4, Lost Heroes or others.

Looking forward to Bravely Default!, Though I'm sure that and Monster Hunter 4 are being released worldwide.

@Happy_Mask That GIF will haunt my dreams forever.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@Radixxs It was honestly announced and had all the trailers and info released not that long ago. Even though Lost Planet was made to feel very western, this game feels very geared towards Japanese players to me.

@Rerun I'm fairly confident that Monster Hunter 4 will gets western release, while I wasn't surprised at all that 3G didn't. Just from my observations living here.

Araknie

Araknie said:

One of the fallen because of what most western people think about Japanese games.
If you keep shooting sooner or later you're gonna die in a shooting.

Amazingly enought, recently patcher said a non obvious thing saying that he love japanese games and that he understand that they take so long because they make pieces of art.
THE END OF THE WORLD!

KAHN

KAHN said:

scumbag japan. they know porting a game to the west will bring in dough, but they don't anyways.

Kimiko

Kimiko said:

It looks like Phantasy Star, manga-style. Interesting. Pity it won't be translated. I tried the PS:P 2 Infinity demo, but my Japanese is too weak to be useful :(

Popyman

Popyman said:

Hopefully XSEED/Atlus will bring it over. I really want this game. :(

And that CEO sounds awful, how long has he been around?

Samholy

Samholy said:

FAIL
i wanted that game. i wont have that game. screw you capcom!
if it wasnt of ace attorney series, i would boycott this company

ClassicJetterz

ClassicJetterz said:

Well, YEAH. I mean. It's not an 8th version of the same Street Fighter game, so why would they bother?

Didn't matter to begin with though. I'm still boycotting CAPCOM for cancelling MegaMan Legends 3.

Windy

Windy said:

@Csaw Just to let you know. There has been no confirmation of Monster Hunter coming west or anywhere else. There was a post from one Capcom official saying there would be some be some news before the end of the year and that is it. EX Troopers is a huge loss. It looks Awesome in the Videos. Does anyone know if it has online Multiplayer cause it kinda looks like it plays like Phantasy Star online

edcomics

edcomics said:

This is actually something I was really looking forward to. I'm surprised that, in this day an age, we're being excluded from enjoying these types of games. It's such a shame.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I don't care for this game and I can see how it might be a risky move but so that western gamers that would want to play it can, I think Capcom should give it an eshop release in the west, similar to what's being done with Unchained blades.

c1pher_c0mplet

c1pher_c0mplet said:

...and this is exactly why I hate Capcom: they always do this. The handful of Capcom games I own (which isn't many, 3 tops), I made sure I copped them secondhand to make certain they don't see a penny from the purchase. And they really left a sour taste in my mouth from the way they handled the entire Mega Man Legends 3 game from requiring us customers to essentially pay for their R&D via the paid demo and then cancelling the game outright... I was really looking forward to this game. As a single person I can't do anything to make Capcom's bottom-line suffer but I can purposefully not purchase anything from them.

Edge_Diest

Edge_Diest said:

@c1pher_c0mplet They never said that it was coming to the West in the first place = If you wanna get mad at them for not bringing every single game, get mad at other companies which didn't localise their products.
Remeber: there are way more videogame companies in Japan than anywhere else (at least their headquarters), and since making a game is expensive, think about localising it! It IS expensive. And they don't wanna gamble with it.
MonHun is coming to the West, so be happy

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

And Capcom continues to fall even further... Seriously, it's like this company is deliberately trying to alienate every last one of their fans!

SazMelthic

SazMelthic said:

And yet you have done it again Capcom.. (make me a sandwich pleas)
Next time if they ever announce an interesting title, don't bother debating a released date for NA. the 3DS is becoming like the Gamecube's grim library of games or yet Wii had it worse. I know I heard a lot of bitching and whining how this new current generation of gaming is so unfair but that's the company, makes for the money and sales. I hate to sound like the other ignorant irrational cold minded but these companies want to focus on younger audience instead of over grown adults. I hate it too but if that's the way Nintendo wants then there is nothing can do about, it's life.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@Edge_Diest: And yet smaller companies like Atlus and Xseed are bringing in Japanese games? Yup, I'm calling bull on that one ;)

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

I wasn't really looking forward to this game but I'm getting tired of Capcom being so wishy-washy about everything. Every time they say no to localization is always "we have no plans to at the moment" which is no better than saying we don't know. Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't all the time every time someone asks.

I'd rather have them be frank with us and say yes or no, or tell us perhaps in the future if theres enough demand. Right now they come off more as the overly shy kid who stutters too much than the professionals who know what they're doing.

BRAINFOX

BRAINFOX said:

@Edge_Diest It would be a lot easier if they would put their money towards localization instead of re-releasing most of their games over and over again. Monster Hunter is the only exception for me.

youngkc19

youngkc19 said:

Am in tears here...this is some utter BS. Sorry i need a moment...AAAAARRRRGGG!!!!$%&^$!!$#)(^&%).

NoUsernameHere

NoUsernameHere said:

FAIL!
if it wasn't for megaman,ace attorney,and resident evil i would boycott the heck out of this company. WTF?