Nintendo Confirms Wii Remote Plus Accessory Set for Europe

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

For those that didn't buy Wii

A major part of Wii U is backwards compatibility, not just with games but more so with controllers and accessories. The asymmetrical multiplayer that's so important to the system relies on one player with a GamePad and others using alternative controllers, such as Wii Remotes and Nunchuks. The Wii U console bundles won't include any Wii controllers, which shouldn't be a problem for many people, but for those that haven't owned a Wii or won't have any controllers, Nintendo of Europe has an answer.

During his Nintendo Direct broadcast Nintendo of Europe President, Satoru Shibata, confirmed that a Wii U accessory pack will be made available called Wii Remote Plus Additional Set. It'll include a Wii Remote Plus controller, a Nunchuk and a sensor bar, the latter of which isn't included with the basic white Wii U bundle but is with the black Premium option.

A glut of other Wii U-range accessories were also confirmed, including individual Wii Remotes in an extensive range of colours, Nunchuks and what looked like a spare GamePad stylus set. We assume similar packages will be confirmed in North America and other regions as well, and we'll keep an eye out for details.

Hokori

Hokori said:

I have 4 wii remotes but will pick a couple of these up for the motion plus support

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

Thank god they're only doing WM+ remotes now. Because there should be more of those games, and that's only going to happen if more people have WM+ remotes.

Let the standard wiimote die a quick death, please. I want my WM+ lightsaber game.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Just in case people don't want to buy the ones already on the shelves.

skyluigi2

skyluigi2 said:

I've got 5 Wii Remote Pluses (don't ask; most were free with games, Wii Play Motion etc.) so I won't be getting any of these.

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

Having said that... I'll pick up a few of these eventually. The only Wii+ I have is the Zelda Special Edition remote

rjejr

rjejr said:

No sensor bar with the white version? That's going to tick a few people off. How much could that cost them, 85 cents? I could see some tired dads trying to hook this thing up Christmas morning rumbling thru the box trying to find the sensor bar and calling Nintendo support looking for it b/c they bought this for little Jimmy's room b/c he wants to shoot some zombies in the head but the parents still play Wii sports in the living room so they need the sensor bar in there. It will happen somewhere I assure you.

Randomname19

Randomname19 said:

I already have the Skyward Sword wiimote with a black nunchuck but they may come in handy if find someone that likes Nintendo(all the people I know either play first person shooters or soccer games)

efaulk84

efaulk84 said:

i wonder if the Wii U will be non motion plus compatible. I haven't even upgraded to the motion plus yet.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Is it possible the sensor bar is only excluded from the Europe white bundle?
From the Gamestop pre-order page:

Nintendo Wii U 8GB Basic Set
8 GB internal memory for storage
Wii U Console in White
Wii U GamePad in White
Wii U AC Adapter
Wii U GamePad AC Adapter
High Speed HDMI Cable
Sensor Bar

Not to say GS can't be wrong, it just makes more sense to include it.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Think I have 2 wiimote plus and 2 or 3 wiimote plus adapters. Altogether 4 or 5 motes! How did that happen?

Windy

Windy said:

Thank god Nintendo decided to stick with motion controls **rollseyes**

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

I have four (well three now, one is completely dead). But this still stinks for me since all of them are the really old ones without the motion plus. Guess I'll have to buy new ones...

gefflt

gefflt said:

Wait, will the Wii U only be backwards compatible with Wii Remotes Plus or also regular Wii Remotes?

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

It's probably compatible with both, but really it should only be compatible with motion plus so more motion plus games are made.

Banker-Style