New Super NES Game Project Launches

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Investors call the shots

In recent months we've reported on some fan-funded campaigns that have appeared on sites such as kickstarter.com, but a new project has launched that's a little different in its approach. It's the latest campaign from Magical Game Factory, called 'ProjectN', which will be an all-new game developed for Super NES. Unlike another new SNES title that we've reported in the past, which is reviving a long-lost game, this one is set to be developed from scratch.

The main point about this title is that its genre and style are determined by two polls; the current leading choices in the genre category are platformer, in second place, and the the current runaway leader, action/adventure. As you've no doubt picked up from our reference to investors, however, having your say isn't free. In order to vote on the title you need to buy at least one GEM on the site, at roughly 10 U.S. cents for each, so it's a bit of loose change if you want to vote. Like Kickstarter rewards, there are incentives to invest more: 200 GEMS ($20) will earn you a credit in the game, while 500 GEMS ($50) is the price for an exclusive investor's copy when it's released next year.

Magical Game Factory has a successful track record of producing these titles before, with Mega Drive/Genesis entry Pier Solar. Even if investing in this kind of project isn't for you, though, it raises a fun point. If you had a developer on hand and could pick any kind of brand new Super NES game, what would you ask for? Let us know in the comments below; we've also provided polls inspired by those driving the project, so get voting!

What genre would you choose for a new SNES title? (131 votes)

Platformer

43%

Action/Adventure

35%

Racing

Run and gun

Surprise me!

14%

Please login to vote in this poll.

What style would you choose for a new SNES title? (117 votes)

Strict and rigid

19%

Irony

21%

Bizarre

36%

I don't care!

24%

Please login to vote in this poll.

MrArcade

MrArcade said:

I would love too see a new platformer for the SNES. I would like it to be as fn to play as Mario World and as bizzare as Kirby's Fun Pak.

Sherman

Sherman said:

What da fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuu... Where's the RPG check box?

The SNES is known for their really great great GREAT RPG´'s, and no RPG option available? Really?

KingMike

KingMike said:

Super Metroid was an awesome game, so how come there weren't any ripoffs for the SNES? :(

KAHN

KAHN said:

Untitled does anyone even have a snes that even looks like this? for some reason, they all seem to turn yellow.

Link-Hero

Link-Hero said:

I would like to see if they could use the Super FX 2 chip (the one Yoshi's Island and Star Fox 2 used) and make a game out of it. Really curious to see what they could do with it and what potential it had (unless those two games listed above haven't already).

Any genre will do, though an action/adventure game will be nice.

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

I would ask for the ability to play it on an emulator or to have it released on the Wii's shop, since I don't own an SNES.

Henmii

Henmii said:

I chose "Surprise me", simply because it could be anything (maybe even something we have never seen before). Though from all the options Racing is the least attractive to me! As for the style I chose "I don't care", simply because I found it very vague! I mean, humor is a must! But I don't want to much humor! I like bizarre level-design, but it should not be too much!

supermonkey117

supermonkey117 said:

i love strange platform or rpg's like final fantasy, golden sun, chrono trigger, earth worm jim, mario world 2, castlevania and donkey kong country 1 and 2 i can still play those games now and enjoy the crap out of them other games just age so quickly, oh and kirby love that pink ball of whatever wow old nintendo games are great.

Steamboat_Willie

Steamboat_Willie said:

The SNES had a bunch of platformers and rpg's. Give me another run 'n gun that'll stand beside Contra III and Super Turrican.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Imagine if we got Super Star Wars versions of these games, that'll be awesome and complete the Super Stars Wars saga just like the films.

• Super Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
  • Super Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
  • Super Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

I already got Super Star Wars: A New Hope, Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, and Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi but I really wish there were super versions of the saga's prequels.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

You forgot puzzle titles! :P

Sorry, but there's no way to know whether this title is going to rock or stink when it hasn't even been developed yet. At the bare minimum, I usually at least watch a youtube video or review before buying a Homebrew game. That said, there's a ton of homebrew Atari and NES games out there; not so much for SNES. I wonder why?

Schokobaer

Schokobaer said:

Is there a chance this will be released as European PAL as well? I'd love to see more projects like this one since most of the "modern" games are boring