New Super Mario Bros. U Character Choices Explained

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Expect "more expression and emotion" on Mii faces

New Super Mario Bros. U is one of the most anticipated launch window titles for Wii U, and like New Super Mario Bros. 2 on 3DS the Big N will be hoping that 2D Mario converts into big sales. Some of the information and footage suggests that a good deal of effort and design has gone into Mario's HD debut, with perhaps one exception — the playable characters.

Much like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario and Luigi will be joined by two toads on their adventure, which doesn't exactly make use of the varied character roster in the Mario universe. Perhaps it's simply because producing two identical clones as characters was easier for development time, but the new title does feature on alternative, Mii characters. If anyone in the world was still attempting to apply some kind of continuity or timeline to the Mario saves Peach tale — though we certainly hope not — the appearance of a Mii should finally put that to rest. In the latest issue of Game Informer magazine, Nintendo EAD’s Takashi Tezuka explains that various options, including those such as Peach and Wario, were considered.

We did consider that when we looked at which characters we would use. We really came down on the side of using Mii characters rather than some of the characters you had mentioned. Through the technology of HD, you’re going to see more expression and emotion on the Mii character faces. Of course, we’re going to continue making Mario games, so you can maybe look forward to some of the things you were asking about in the future.

In truth, we suspect that saving development resources was the biggest consideration, but it's arguably not a vitally important factor in whether this 2D Mario will meet expectations. Besides, we can all look forward to our Mii's happy face, in HD, as we reach the flagpole.

[via nintendoeverything.com]

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

The Miis are going to be costumed, so while it won't be the real deal, I would be able to play as my Mii with a Wario costume, unless I had to be player 3 in co-op. I hope you can choose whichever costume you want regardless of what number you are. Still, this game should be great no matter who you're playing as.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

I'm on the fence with playing as Miis, I hated playing as them in Mario Kart (Toad all the way!) I do like the fact that people will have the option to play as themselves in a Mario game.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

ugh, ive never been big on Mii's. They're just so damn ugly!
At least add for more editing (alot more!) options this time.

Araknie

Araknie said:

Tezuka, there are 4 Nintendo playable characters, guess what i'm gonna use.
Hint: Not the Miis.

erv

erv said:

Does make me wonder how much effort there has been made with the entire miiverse and all to overhaul and expand upon the mii concept. I hope it'll only improve over time, I'm starting to like it as a nintendo default.

espinozac7

espinozac7 said:

If we're going to use miis, they should add more customization. Hats, shirts, shorts, more hair color.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

While I agree about me not liking Miis in games but its better to have it and not use it then want it but not have it. There are people who do like to use it. So aslong as I am not forced to use them then I am ok with that.

Yosher

Yosher said:

Of course there are people who would love to play as their Miis in these games, but the true Mario fans would much rather see Mario characters playable. And I don't mean generic Toads either. If you ask me, Mii characters should stay away from any main Mario game.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Nice to have Mii's as an option, it's a lot better than those two generic toads IMO. It's gonna be either Mario or Luigi all the way for me though.

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

I suppose it's better than two toads,but come on Wario and Waluigi would be much better choices.

Rayman Legends looks far far better.

nindocrash

nindocrash said:

Nintendo using Miis as an excuse not to add more characters. This is becoming quite common with Mario games.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

Why do people want to play as Wario in a New Super Mario Bros. game? This is a burly, graceless klutz who has regularly obtained wealth by allowing himself to be flattened or ignited, among other physically unpleasant feats. Now you guys want him to hop around deftly kicking off walls without touching fireballs or getting caught between two flat surfaces? That'll be the day. :D

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

...So they couldn't have brought more expression and emotion to Wario/Peach's face?

16bitdave

16bitdave said:

I don't understand the ugly Mii's and I don't think I want to know. They're so ugly, no offense

edcomics

edcomics said:

This just doesn't appeal. I'm satisfied with my NSMBW. Maybe I've just been around too long and have encountered too many Mario games, but I don't think I can get excited about Mario again until they do something really different with the series. Some people may not like SMB2, and I understand why, but I think it's a lot of fun. It's a breath of fresh air, and that's what the Mario series needs right now.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Mii use is perfectly fine with me, though there's still no very good reason that THE Toad, Peach, Wario, Waluigi, etc. can not be put in regardless. Because of Mii use, I'll forgive you Nintendo, but seriously, when/if there's another NSMBWii game, give us the eye candy of 2 other characters from Mario's universe... it's NOT that hard...

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Doubt I could use my Mii. I couldn't jump high to save my life. I'm the living embodiment of "white men can't jump!" Wesley Snipes was referring to me in the film when his character said that to Woody Harrelson's. :p Besides, I went in to rescue Princess Peach, she'd say, "who the fawk are you?" :p

@espinozac7
Only problem I have with more customization is it opens the door to charging $ for every little thing you can add to your Mii. Wanna dress like Link? That's 5 Rupees! :p

@BigBluePanda
I missed that announcement, but you're not the only one happy with it. :)

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I would much rather have Peach and Wario than Miis. Sure, they wouldn't be able to make them clones of Mario but all four characters in Super Mario 64 DS played differently from each other but with this being a launch game, maybe they didn't have time to add in characters that didn't play the same as each other.

SuperMinusWorld

SuperMinusWorld said:

While there are a select few that will thoroughly enjoy platforming with their Miis, I for one will be more than happy to be just Mario, the one and only. And for your information, yes, I'm still applying continuity to this timeline, ok? Sheeeesh. Mario has a canon... Just... New Super Mario Bros messes it up...

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

I'm not into the Miis either. They look ugly, polygons are way too simple and don't have enough customization for the user to add character. Never go tinto making them or using. I don't use them in games because they take me out of the universe that is created for that specific game. Just simply the geometry never fits the host game. Kind of like throwing a Big Mac on the table of a fine steak restaurant. good thing you don't have to use them!

BTW, edcomics, I loved SMB2 as well. that's actually my favorite next to SMW. I would LOVE to see some of thoe characters come back! Would actually love to see a SMB2-2. LOL!

Grodus

Grodus said:

Meh. Cool. Not really all that into mii's though, just good 'fer StreetPass/(sometimes)SpotPass. What I wanna know is if I can be Luigi in single player, and if not, WHY!?
@SuperMinusWorld I dont get it! How is there a timeline anyway!? It would be fine in release order anyway!!! (Yes, I know you were joking.)

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

I may be the fox in the wolf pack but I like having the mii as an option. I guess in my weird world I can race through worlds as toon link or hulk hogan. I just hope you can change the pitch/tone of the grunts, but its no big deal.

Shirma_Akayaku

Shirma_Akayaku said:

I don't get it. Why' doesn't Big N use other characters instead of generic Toads?
Or at least have Toadette or somethin'

lanabanana

lanabanana said:

Everyone's hating on Mii's XD I think they're pretty cool :P But I guess that's just me :/

Shirma_Akayaku

Shirma_Akayaku said:

@Janett Miis are somewhat generic. In their own way. It's a bit difficult for me to explain, so I'll explain tomorrow. Goodnight everyone! :)

edcomics

edcomics said:

@Ulala "Toadette" is a good idea, and you've proven how easy it is to come up with something fun and different. Nintendo's on auto-pilot when it comes to Mario.

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

Does that include female Miis? And if so, will they be proportioned in the chest area if ya know what I mean?

Bob-t-Gmaestro

Bob-t-Gmaestro said:

My personal opinion is just have additional characters as dlc; chances are they'll all function the same way and don't directly impact the game.