New Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion Screens Grant Three Wishes

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Those with memories of Aladdin, enjoy

Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion is not only a 3DS accompaniment to upcoming sequel Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two on Wii and Wii U, but also a nostalgic 2D platformer that's got the interest of gamers with fond memories of the '90s. The latest set of official screens show off the Aladdin themed level, one of the most popular movies from the revered animation studio and the subject of its own games on the Super NES and SEGA Megadrive/Genesis.

If you've missed the whole point of this title up to now, below are some official words from Disney to explain its source of inspiration.

Disney Epic Mickey: Power Of Illusion, features an interactive combination of painting, dual screen integration and 3D transformation capabilities designed to give players the unique ability to create objects and even characters they can place in the game. Paying tribute to the classic Sega Genesis title “Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse,” the title focuses on the fabled Castle of Illusion, which has fallen into Wasteland, an alternate world filled with 80 years of forgotten Disney characters and theme park attractions – and now forgotten video games.

It must be said that Castle of Illusion does get some members of the Nintendo Life team rather misty-eyed, even if it was only available on SEGA systems back in the day. The new Aladdin screenshots are all in the gallery below for your pleasure, and don't forget to check out our interview with Peter Ong, co-founder and creative director of DreamRift, if you didn't see it earlier in the year and want to learn more about the game.

Cipher

Cipher said:

I had the Aladdin game on SNES. Absolutely loved it. Can't wait to get my hands on this game.

nocode

nocode said:

Looks like alot of fun. I hope the 3d isn't an after thought like NSMB2.

idork99

idork99 said:

I never owned the Genesis (Mega Drive) but I had a friend who had one. He'd always rent games from the local video shop and I recall playing Castle of Illusion and Quackshot. Both great games and the visuals for this game remind me of that era. Since there's no Luigi's Mansion nor Castlevania this holiday season, this maybe the only 3DS retail game I purchase to tie me down till next year.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

This looks SO much like the SNES Aladdin game I used to play as a kid. I loved that game to death, despite always beating it in exactly one hour. This game is looking great so far.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

OMG I just realized that this comes out the same day as the Wii U in NA. Guess when I go pick up my Wii U I will be picking this up as well. Cant wait for this game.

Wildfire

Wildfire said:

Back in the day I used to have lots of fun playing Castle of Ilusion and also Alladin on my Mega Drive! This one looks like a great follow up to Castle of Ilusion and an amazing throwback to the golden age of gaming.
A definite purchase!

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

The 18th could be an expensive day... I might have to wait until December for this. Looks awesome though

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Nice graphic style. Never played an Epic Mickey game but I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

With Aladdin turning 20 this November, it's nice to see that they've made the Aladdin world into a faithful inspiration. The Cave of Wonders looks wonderful (pun obviously intended) and the sprites really do remind me of the SNES version of the Aladdin video game, which is nice.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Those are some great screenshots, and when I saw that one screenshot with Mickey and Aladdin before clicking on the article, the background around them reminded me of the SNES version of Disney's Aladdin. Also, the movie's awesome; one of my favorites from Disney.
Just two more months! I can't wait for Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion to come out!

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

I picked up a copy of Aladdin for the Genesis the other day. I t i not as good as the SNES version but it is still a blast!.

JakobG

JakobG said:

So what, the game's becoming more and more like a Kingdom Hearts now?
Too bad, I liked that they explored the forgotten IPs from Disney Studios, as opposed to well established ones.
Either Aladdin has become more obscure than I thought, or they decided to bail and threw in more popular stuff for good measure.

shake_zula

shake_zula said:

I wish the Wii/Wii U series would switch to this style. Epic Mickey for the Wii was one the lamest platformers I've ever played, and its sequel looks exactly the same. This, however, looks incredible.

photofool83

photofool83 said:

I've had this game pre-ordered through amazon for quite a while now. I can't wait for it to come out!! I loved all of the the old Disney games during the 8 & 16-bit era.

KryptoKrunch

KryptoKrunch said:

This game looks good, can't wait. A Peter Pan world now an Aladdin world, hopefully there's a decent amount of worlds based on other Disney classics.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

Oh. My. Goodness.

When I was 5 and got my first game system, SNES (before that just did computer games), my parents gave me 3 games with it: Super Mario World and Super Mario All Stars (they were bundled with it) and Disney's Aladdin.

These screenshots... so much nostalgia! I didn't even like Epic Mickey for the Wii (for some odd reason), but I may end up getting this on 3DS simply because of the nostalgia!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Please have this play as good as it looks, because it looks amazing!

If they succeed, this could be the team that Spector should use to make that Ducktales game he dreams about.

SleepingNinjer

SleepingNinjer said:

Do you guys remember that insanely difficult/awesome carpet flying level, running from the lava out of the sphinx..? Such a great game...