Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Slaying Beasts on Wii U and 3DS in March 2013

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

The series returns to the West

Fans of the Monster Hunter series have been eagerly awaiting news of the next instalment on a Nintendo system for a good while, yet today's announcement wasn't Monster Hunter 4, but rather Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on both Wii U and 3DS, confirmed for North America and Europe in March 2013.

This new title will potentially represent the first example of cross-play between Wii U and 3DS, with save game inter-compatibility meaning that a Wii U save can be transferred to a 3DS copy of the game and taken on the go. It will also be possible for local multiplayer directly between Wii U and 3DS versions, with the Wii U version supporting online play and 3DS including local multiplayer and StreetPass options. Capcom has stated that the touch screen controls should make this the most intuitively controlled game in the series.

Assuming some form of Monster Hunter is also on the way to Japan, this is rather big news; it also shows that cross-play between Wii U and 3DS is indeed possible. The question of how much of the content will be recycled of reworked from Monster Hunter Tri on Wii is unclear, but are you excited about this and the Wii U/3DS compatibility possibilities?

Related Games

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

This along with Bayonetta 2 should please the "hardcore" crowd despite lack of game announcements from Nintendo. Great news. Especially for sales in Japan.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

WAIT WAIT WAIT !!!

will the 3DS-version also have online multiplayer?
i would be pissed if not

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

will get this if it has online multiplayer in the 3DS-version.
if not then probably won't get it.

i would love to see online gaming between 3DS- and WiiU-users

BenAV

BenAV said:

This is amazing.
I will be buying both copies on day one.

Play online on my TV while I'm at home, then transfer it to my 3DS and take it to Uni with me.
Set for life!

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

will definitely be keeping an eye on this. i've never played monster hunter before but this makes me excited for Smash Bros game for the Wii U and the 3DS. It would be cool if they did this for Pokemon or some new IP

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

I almost fainted when I saw this AND FRIGGIN BAYONETTA 2! The first one is still one of my favs.

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

Ultimate wha-?

Cross-play and localization make me happy at least. Just please no water D:

Wait, by cross play you just mean transfarring, not being able to play online with people who own copies on a different system? Laaaame.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Being Monster Hunter 3G, there is a TON of content. Lots of monsters, and also G Rank quests.
@zezhyrule
There's still water combat.
Personally I LOVE the underwater sections of the game.

Really hoping the texture work on the Wii U version is better than the 3DS one. Maybe do some extra model work, at the very least get monsters like Ceadeus back to at least Wii level, since the 3DS models don't look quite as nice. Can't wait to see Guran Miraosu without muddy textures when on a BIG screen.

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

So this is just MHTriG then? Why did they call it Ultimate whatever. Even the naming they used before, "Unite" would've made more sense here.

Also I just realized they didn't put "Tri" back in the title. Eff you capcom, I'm still calling it MHTU

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Who cares what the name is? It's Monster Freakin' Hunter on Wii U and 3DS - confirmed in NA!!!! >:[

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

water combat was super fun!

it was so epic when a monster tried to flee into the water and you just jump straight after it thinking "you can run but you can not hide, b*#§ MUAHAHHAHAHA!"

ArcanaXVI

ArcanaXVI said:

Never played Tri, so I'll be snagging this. Now that it's cross-compatible, perhaps for both systems! This, Bayonetta 2, and The Wonderful 101 are on the top of my list.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Well It looks like next year I would be unemployed. :P
I wonder if both versions will take advantage of the built-in mic for online chat, I'm sure it would have touch type for text messages.

@6ch6ris6 ha, I thought I was the only one that think about that. Evil minds think alike :)

Falk_Sturmfels

Falk_Sturmfels said:

I died and woke up in heaven. I waited so unbelievable long for these news - man, my 3DS XL is gonna glow right in march.

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Windy

Windy said:

Im excited but really wanted online play for 3ds not local wifi. Im definately buying but not happy about the 3ds local wifi. But finally the announcement of a system seller is music to my ears now lets get Dragon Quest X moving! Lol

supermonkey117

supermonkey117 said:

im getting it for 3ds mh3 tri was amazing on the wii and really want to see what its like on the wii u thank you capcom.

LittleKing

LittleKing said:

Played both Tri and Portable 3rd, but I'll still probably get one version eventually.

@ultraraichu Definitely not the only one. I've played Freedom (MH1), Unite (MH2) and 3rd, and liked Tri's underwater combat a lot, since it offered more seamless combat. Just means there's one less way for monsters to escape. I used to always get ticked off when monsters would jump in the water, so being able to jump in after them was nice. Maybe next we'll be to fly after those dang Rathalos doing their world tours.

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

woohoo! 'bout time they finally said they were gonna port MH3 to 3DS for realz. i could really use another game that is circle pad pro compatible already. it's an awesome and despicably-under-utilized add-on. it's clunky but makes so much difference that it doesn't matter and it was cheap anyway.
uh, speaking of, where's that XL CPP model anyway? I had to mod my standard CPP to work with my XL for now and there's no way that I should have had to bother to do that (but I'm glad that it works just fine anyhoo).

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Not sure how I feel about this one. Monster Hunter is cool and all but if it's just gonna be an upgraded tri then I'm not really looking forward to it. I'll wait for more details.

Bucho

Bucho said:

i played the hell out of Tri on the wii but i'll play this again on my 3DS and Wii U when i get one :D day one purchase! thanks capcom, promise i won't call you Crapcom again... until you decide to never bring MH4 to NA.

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

@Thomas Whitehead

I know EXACTLY how much of an upgrade this is to Monster Hunter Tri.

Tri had 35 monsters. This game has 72.

3 Ultimate has 3 new areas- one of them is a large explorable multi-zoned area similar in size to flooded forest.

3 Ultimate adds new weapons (returning, really): Gunlance, Hunting Horn, Dual Swords, Bow)

MH3U has much, MUCH more armor than MH3.

MH3U has a new area (tanjia port) that replaces Loc Lac city.

MH3U has revised weapon balancing and new attack chains and controls for several weapons.

MH3U has Kayanba- a second Shakalaka partner

MH3U has more customization options for armor and a more streamlined Armor Set system.

New Final Boss.

Upgraded graphics (first in series to feature real-time dynamic shadows). Better frame rate.

Downloadable Event Quests

G Rank quests in single player.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

If this is more like 3G than Tri, then I have just been sold on the Wii U.

ReaperX30

ReaperX30 said:

Not planning on getting the Wii U but I'm getting this on 3DS that's for damn sure. Portable Monster Hunter is just plain awesome. The news made my week.

Araknie

Araknie said:

Still no one talking about the hardcore direction Nintendo is taking?

Fair enough, in the meanwhile i'm gonna buy the ZombiU premium pack. And snub RE6.

CerberusAzdin

CerberusAzdin said:

First thing: YAY!!!!!
Second thing: I have started a forum for this game on nintendolife. It's mainly to unite all Monster Hunter fans out there and hopefully create a solid Monster Hunter community in the UK/EU. Guilds and hunters wanted ^^