Kevin Butler Seen Near a Wii Console... Apocalypse Confirmed

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

You do know he's a fictional character, right?

A story is starting to spread around the internet about a marketing betrayal that strikes a blow for Nintendo in the console wars. Or it's an actor doing his job for another company, but that's a lot less fun.

Actor Jerry Lambert is regarded as an excellent comedic actor in the U.S., and has appeared in various TV shows and films. Amongst gamers, however, he's probably best known for his role as fictional Sony VP Kevin Butler, appearing in a number of rather funny adverts for its gaming products. Despite this the actor has also appeared in a few Bridgestone adverts, too, and the most recent happens to put him in the proximity of two others playing Mario Kart Wii; this has sparked quite a few comments following its posting over on NeoGaf.

The role of Kevin Butler in Sony adverts has been toned down recently, in any case, but for some fans the sight of an iconic Sony marketing character near a Nintendo game may drive them to madness. We'd suggest he's familiar with Wii-style games and controls, anyway, as this rather good advert for the PS3's Move demonstrates.

[via neogaf.com, bridgestonetire.com]

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I admit its funny but people have to remember hes an actor not a really Sony employee. That would be like some saying OMG Han Solo is in an adventure movie chasing after a holy relic.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

I know friends with PS3. I know nobody with a Move. Their adverts are way better than the products they endorse.

SpaceKappa

SpaceKappa said:

Haha, is this really a thing? It's not even a Nintendo commercial. Oh internet. Don't ever change.

(Off topic: Yo @LittleIrves, if you're "Cakes" I get StreetPass from you all the time, man.)

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@SpaceKappa It is indeed a thing, the actor's appeared for Bridgestone before :)

To gamers he's Kevin Butler, though as I painstakingly point out, the ACTOR does plenty of other gigs!

SpaceKappa

SpaceKappa said:

@ThomasBW84 Well I know the commercial is real (I've seen it!) I just mean is the hubbub about it real? Are PlayStation diehards frothing at the mouths about some kind of conspiracy or something? I'm not big on the Sony "scene" but do they really take Kevin Butler that seriously? I guess that means it's a good marketing campaign!

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@SpaceKappa Ah, I see :)

The Apocalypse Confirmed line is just me joking about how these things can be mis-interpreted and exaggerated by some. Over on the NeoGaf thread there do appear to be some who didn't realise that it was a character, and that he doesn't actually work for Sony. He's an actor that appears in lots of stuff, but there do appear to be people that think Sony 'lost' the character to Nintendo, which is so far from the truth!

SpaceKappa

SpaceKappa said:

@ThomasBW84 Gotcha. Even before I had a PS3 I always liked the Kevin Butler character because he was so over-the-top, but I think because I saw Mr. Lambert in other things before I knew it was just a role. He's very good at his job, it seems!

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

this entire kevin butler story is overrated, because those ads are only shown in the u.s.

most european, japanese gamers never heared of him

JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser said:

That's our NeoGAF!
Cheesy laugh.
I know it's different for each actor but I find it terrible to be recognised for one thing. (e.g. Oh, it's the guy from harry potter! - Daniel Radcliffe. He was brilliant in the Woman in Black by the way.)

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Wow, that's funny. I'm sure this puts PS3 fans in a tizzy, but he's an actor, not an actual employee of Sony. He has to perform for something now and then, you know?

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

Nonono the true apocalypse is iwata, sakurai, and Reggie sitting down and playing ps3 while chatting about how great ios gaming is..writing this I cringed a lil

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Wow the guy was an actor. Ha. Got me duped :P But I just don't find him funny at all :S He just comes of like a jerk to me & I haven't laughed once at his commercials... Oh well :p

Araknie

Araknie said:

Ahahahahahaha, Microsoft and Sony hit the family when Nintendo says more core games.

Keep being a step behind.
(sorry but they asked for this)

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Hahaha... I love KB! I don't care who, or what he's endorsing, he's the man! His E3 speech was Epic!