Golly, Pluto! The Wii U Is Getting Epic Mickey 2 As Well

Posted by Damien McFerran

Enhanced version with GamePad features announced

Disney Interactive has confirmed that Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two is coming to the Nintendo Wii U.

Developed by Heavy Iron, the Wii U version of the game will take advantage of the console's increased power to deliver a more visually arresting experience, and will also bring additional features which incorporate the innovative GamePad. You'll be able to use it to view a real-time map during play, as well as make sketches which can be used in-game.

Here's the full press release:

Disney Interactive today announced that the highly-anticipated “Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two” video game will be available for Nintendo’s Wii U™ system this holiday season. Wii U players will experience their adventure through Wasteland, an alternate world filled with more than 80 years of forgotten Disney characters and theme park attractions, in HD graphics and enjoy enhanced game features.

“It’s exciting to bring Nintendo fans ‘Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two’ on Nintendo’s revolutionary new game system,” said Bill Roper, vice president and general manager of production, Disney Interactive. “The technological advances of the Wii U system have allowed us to enhance player direction and provide our fans with an immersive as well as unique gaming experience.”

The “Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two” video game returns Mickey Mouse and Oswald the Lucky Rabbit to Wasteland, an alternate world filled with more than 80 years of forgotten Disney characters and theme park attractions. But for the first time, Mickey and Oswald will join forces as true partners - Mickey with the magical paint brush that allows him to wield paint and thinner, and Oswald with a powerful remote control that allows him to command electricity. This new co-op play further enhances the idea that “PlayStyle Matters” – a unique approach to gameplay pioneered by Warren Spector where players tackle challenges the way they want to in order to explore a variety of possibilities and storylines, but always with consequences for their chosen actions.

Using the Wii U™ GamePad, players will see a fully detailed, real-time map of Wasteland with waypoints and markers to help guide them through the game and complete the different quests and side-quests. Players will also be able to use the GamePad to access sketches and activate the sketches to use in-game for a more immersive experience.

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

Cool, another great game I'll have to ignore simply because I don't have the cash... :(

But more is better, right?

Bluezealand

Bluezealand said:

Damien, where've you been, when NoE confirmed this YESTERDAY during its Nintendo Direct? ;)

SleepingNinjer

SleepingNinjer said:

Great news! Can't wait for this. Will the motion controller (wii style) be mandatory in the gameplay?

47drift

47drift said:

Makes me wonder if this'll be one of those games that can use two gamepads.

Nintendoro

Nintendoro said:

Another reason to get rid of my PS3.... If only Dead space 3 and Resi 6 were announced for the Wi U...

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Gosh, I know what version I'm getting. This almost came out of the blue. I wondered why the list of launch window games mentioned Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two, thinking that it had been for the Wii at the time. Now I'll be getting the better, HD version with GamePad perks. I'll be anticipating this game as much as Power of Illusion.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I figured as much. With the release date for Epic Mickey 2 so close to the Wii U launch it only makes sense. Still the one that gets me excited is the 3DS version. So cant wait for that one.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

And yet in Nintendo Power, Warren Spector said he wasn't bringing this to Wii U! I'm so happy that it is now!

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

I wonder if we'll have the option to use the original Wii Remote and Nunchuck control scheme from the first game.

TotalHenshin

TotalHenshin said:

I hope Heavy Iron can translate the game well onto the WiiU. Don't let them screw it up, Spector!

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

Now wishing I'd tried the X360 version at E3. I tried the Wii version b/c despite my desire to love the first game I wasn't able to play it and sold it after a short while b/c it made me terribly sick.
The sequel on the Wii at E3 did the exact same thing. It's like there was some weird magnifying lens applied to the game. The corners of the screen and buildings don't come in normally, they distort and move in a way that makes me really ill. At a glance I didn't notice the same thing on the X360, but I'd need more time to be sure.
I guess at least I can look forward to renting the WiiU version to find out. If I am able to play it this game will jump high up on my list of must haves :).

Bob-t-Gmaestro

Bob-t-Gmaestro said:

Good idea, since the game's release is rumored to be on the same day as the Wii U launch.
@Tasuki
I want that game, too. I'm a fan of pixelated side-scrollers.

arrmixer

arrmixer said:

man I'm interested in this game!! but alas I can only afford NSMB U so there you have it... :)

Hokori

Hokori said:

May get this and power of illusion and if the original is a DL wii title I'll pick it up to