Ace Attorney 5 Confirmed To Be Hitting The Courtroom on 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

No objection from us

There's exciting news, Ace Attorney fans. As reported by Andriasang, this week's Famitsu magazine has unveiled Ace Attorney 5 for 3DS, with Phoenix Wright returning as the main character. A mystery girl in yellow clothing has also been shown, and she'll be central to the story; details such as a release period, whether it'll appear outside of Japan as well as how the game will look and play are evidently being saved for another day.

The same edition of the magazine has a major advert for Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney, with a puzzle that apparently gives an answer of "6211". Clues may suggest that the numbers are supposed to be read while flipped around, giving 1129, which is being interpreted by some as an indication of a release on 29th November in Japan.

In the meantime, check out these magazine photos from Twitter user Wario64:

[via andriasang.com]

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

Awesome. Can't wait to play Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney and Ace Attorney 5 in 2014 and 2015 respectively.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Thomas, is there a particular reason why you always spell his name "Pheonix" instead of "Phoenix"?

Anyway, I have never played any of these. The art style kinda reminds me of Rival Schools.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@sinalefa I used that spelling because I was wrong. Oops.

I've fixed it now (and in the previous story I did for Layton vs Ace Attorney).

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

Ha, I just finished playing through the first PW game.
For the fifth time. Wheeeeee

I've still not played AJ, I need to pick that one up sometime.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

Uh... Not to make the stupidest comment on this thread, but...

WHAT IS ACE ATTORNEY? I really want to know as I hear they are very good, but don't know where to start.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@TheDreamingHawk: Start with the very first one Ace Attorney on the GBA, DS or Wiiware.

This is great news going to have to finish this series before this one comes out.

Balaclavab

Balaclavab said:

Well considering the first Phoenix Wright game is my favourite game ever, yeah saying i'm excited is an understatement.

I just miss the first two games where all the characters and plot lines didn't all connect with one another and build up to one final case e.g. AA Investigations and PW TAT.

I would rather AA 5 stared Apollo Justice, as I feel there is a lot of room left for his story to develop, but I would like to find out what happens to the Feys.

If AA 5 doesn't get translated for a European release.....the world.....will....end by....my hand!!!!!!!!!!

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

Considering we didn't get the second Investigations title, I'm wondering whether Capcom will actually bring this one westward or if they've given up on western AA fans entirely. With the way they've been lately, I'm interested, but I won't hold my breath.

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

Great, Ace Attorney is awesome (even if I've only played Investigations: Miles Edgeworth and I STILL want the sequel).

KodyWB-98

KodyWB-98 said:

I've never played any Phoenix Whright game mainly because they haven't been released in the west. Since this one may not make outside of Japan, I can only hope that Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Whright will.

RR529

RR529 said:

I've only played one of these (the Miles Edgeworth one), but I quite enjoyed it, so I hope this comes to the US.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

This just in Capcom has announces Ace Attorney 5 will not be released out of Japan due to the high amount of text in the game making translations costs too high. Despite the 3D element of the 3DS making playing on the console unique Capcom has deemed risk of piracy is too high for handheld games.

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Well that's good. I just hope it gets released outside of Japan. I still want Miles Edgeworth 2.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@TBD Agreed.

I'm definitely glad they've chosen to get rid of Apollo Justice (or at least not have him as the main character), he was so lame compared to the awesomeness of Phoenix Wright. Well the Phoenix Wright of games 1 through 3. Phoenix Wright of AA4 was amazingly lame.

KodyWB-98

KodyWB-98 said:

Maybe it's just where I live, but I haven't seen any of the series here. I could have also easily overlooked them too since I'm unfamilar to the series itself.

Late

Late said:

I've only played Trials and Tribulations (at the final case) and I love it. I think I have to play 1 and 2 before getting this new game and maybe Apollo Justice. There's still a lot of time to play those two games before AA5 gets here.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

This was unexpected, but I am pleasantly surprised. I hope this game as well as Ace Attorney vs. Professor Layton, and Miles Edgeworth 2 finally come Stateside. Though with Capcom not localizing the latter, it doesn't bode well...

Terave

Terave said:

Oh that's some good news. :D It's been long since we have heard about this project. I'm not complaining though. The good thing is that Phoenix is back since I always though Apollo was kind of a rip-off.

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

This. Must. Be. Released. In. Europe!!!
And in USA of course. It´s been too long since I last played a new Ace Attorney game. I don´t want to wait for fan translations. I want to buy the actual game and understand what they´re saying (sorry, can´t read or speak japanese).

DoctorJonAngus

DoctorJonAngus said:

@sinalefa Honestly, I thought Batsu and Phoenix looked a lot alike. There is also a prosecutor named Winston Payne who bears some resemblance to Hideo Shimazu, as well.

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

Trying not to get too happy about this, I'll be excited when it gets a European release date. Until then it doesn't exist.

I'm really hankering for another ace attorney experience but if it's just going to stay in Japan I'd rather not get myself hyped up over nothing.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@WiiLovePeace: ah, now that's where you and I disagree, my friend — I loved Apollo Justice, and they left a giant hole open to explore there with the gray psyche-locks. I wonder if we'll ever find out what it takes to break those D:

mega

mega said:

Ive never played one of these before... I'll try it out if I can get one used sometime. :D

bluecat

bluecat said:

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH! Although sad it's not Apollo. But hey, he could still be in the game. Good to see this game either way. :D

BigDaddysPizza

BigDaddysPizza said:

Update: That man is Winston Payne's brother, apparently.
Plus, it's hard to believe they changed Phoenix's hair. Not very much tho.

tabris95

tabris95 said:

I love the Ace Attourney games and I love Phoenix Wright as a character.... But shouldn't they be getting back to Apollo Justice? I'm afraid that rather than moving the series forward, they're just releasing cash in games featuring well liked characters in order to sell them. I hope I'm wrong...