Turok Developer Wants To See N64 Versions On Virtual Console

Posted by Damien McFerran

Ex-Iguana dev talks N64 development and the influence of James Bond

Former Acclaim and Iguana Entertainment designer Ryan Tracy wants to see the four N64 Turok games made available on the Virtual Console, but admits that the thorny issue of IP ownership could mean that his desire never comes to pass.

Speaking to NotEnoughShaders.com, Tracy also elaborates on the development of the N64 Turok titles, and admits that Turok 2's multiplayer mode was influenced by the success of Rare's Goldeneye 007. He also states that the 4MB RAM cart was "the greatest thing to happen to the N64" as it gave developers so much more power.

We popped those babies into the dev kits and away we went. This allowed a better variety of objects on the screen. We could make it chug too and had to pull back what we really wanted to push on the screen. This really helped with particles as well as Turok 2 used more of them than Turok 1.

Would you be interesting in downloading the Turok adventures if they were made available? Let us know in the comments section.

[via notenoughshaders.com]

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I'd want them to come to the VC even if I don't download them myself.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

If they decided to fix the fog issues of the second game I'm all ears!

I agree with Bass though, support for the VC in general would be nice.

'Tracy also elaborates on the development of the N64 Turok titles, and admits that Turok 2's multiplayer mode was influenced by the success of Rare's Goldeneye 007.' - I would imagine the missions you had to complete in the single player campaign was also based on Goldeneye's success.

FernaMedel

FernaMedel said:

The first game I've ever owned was turok 2 seed of evil! of course i would buy this day one! these games are gold to me!

Omega

Omega said:

I would buy them for sure. Not all four but at least the first one and maybe Turok: Seeds of Evil. I wanted to buy them anyway for my N64 but on VC would be even better because the Wii has a much better picture quality than the N64 (and it's not so easy to get a good copy with manual for 10 Euros).

Faron

Faron said:

Turok 2 is the greatest FPS ever for me, after the first Metroid Prime.

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

I owned Turok 2:Seeds of Evil and Turok:Rage Wars and loved them both, so I would buy all the games if they came out. One of my only regrets about havnig my N64 is not picking up the first Turok at some point!!

Emily_Rogers

Emily_Rogers said:

I learned a lot about Nintendo 64 development after doing this interview with Ryan Tracy. They made such amazing games with the limitations they had (cartridge space). Amazing how music and sound effects took up majority of the space on a cartridge.

spzero15

spzero15 said:

Umm Duh... But I want them on my 3ds virtual console.
Make that portable baby!

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

YES! YES! YES! Put it on the Wii and the 3DS VC.
While we're dreaming, lets lock Ninty and MS in a room and make them work out getting those pesky N64 RARE titles out in VC form as well.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Turok one and two where awesome. Insta download for me. However why remove the fog. It was the game play back in the day. Give people a chance to see it all in it's original glory. Or not so glory. Fog ftw! ;-)

odd69

odd69 said:

YES indeed thank you. But at this point release it on WiiU's online service in the near future, im not sure this would profit on VC. I would buy all four of them myself

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Games on the Wii Virtual Console are likely to be available on the Wii U Virtual Console from day one.

motang

motang said:

Too bad one of the biggest launch titles for the N64 is not on the VC.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

VC Games in general would be nice to see but if they are actually going to give us another N64 game then it has to be one that I've been waiting years for (Mario Party 1 and 3, Donkey Kong 64) as we are never going to get another one on the Wii VC.

PixelatedPixie

PixelatedPixie said:

Seeds of Evil f***ing ruled. That would be awesome if they were able to bring that to virtual console. The guns in that game were just insanely fun to use.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

If they were to re-release them I would love it if they could add the ability to have inverted controls (not sure if you can with VC gaems). I could never figure out how people to move the anolog stick up to look down. :@

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

Man, I used to play the Turok games so much as a kid...

To this day, it still amazes me how much juice Iguana managed to squeeze from the N64 when they made them. I still remember being blown away by the incredible animation of the enemies in Seeds of Evil, or the lip-synched characters in Oblivion.

warioTW

warioTW said:

I really want a HD version of Seeds of Evil on WiiU :) If it comes to VC, tha'ts an instant dowlnoad.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

I remember marveling at the previews for Turok: Dinosaur Hunter... I just kept looking at the screenshots over and over. Loved the game when it finally came out, but man, was it hard. Unfortunately I'm not sure how it would hold up today.... can't imagine the gameplay has aged well. But as an historical document, yes, put them up on VC. For nostalgia alone. And to show kids how FPSs were 15 years ago.

coolvw93

coolvw93 said:

Yes Please! i wish i would have picked up those N64 Turok games at the sale the other day...

gundam00

gundam00 said:

Actually... I want Turok remastered for 3DS!! I think the 3D remastered graphics would be incredible!!!

MakeMyBiscuit

MakeMyBiscuit said:

YES, YES, YES, YES (1 four all 4 games)

I loved these games. The modern remakes lost what made the series special. I would down load them in an instant!

Actually, it is nice to see developers interested in still porting games to the VC in the first place :)

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

I'd be more interested in remakes for for WiiWare or on a collection disc with control options.

SMW

SMW said:

I'd like it, but good luck getting passed all the legal stuff.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I've never played a Turok before, so I'd definitely be interested in getting one if it was made available on the VC.

capitalism

capitalism said:

That would be awesome, I loved the Turok games on my N64. I agree though that they should probably wait until the Wii U comes out to get more sales.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Great game really. I have it for the PC and I lost the disc, so I don't have the epic music, which is sad to play the levels quietly :(
Still, couldn't beat the 4 level because I don't have a gamepad and its really hard to shoot many of those mantis like creatures that appears at some point.

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

I've never had the chance to play these games,so i'll totally buy it if it get's released on the Wii VC :D

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Own the first one and love it (despite the "fog"). I'd definitely go for the other, being a Turok fan, and wanting to support N64 VC.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

I never played the Turok games but remembered that they were HUGE hits on the N64. I guess I missed out on a few classics from that era after all :(

Yeah, it would be great to seem them released on the Wii VC.

NMH-TRI

NMH-TRI said:

I thought the first Turok was great for its time. AAAANNND, Turok 2: Seeds of Evil was definitely a blast! Cerebral bore, Serrated Chakram (I don't know what it's called), and of course the bow with exploding arrows. C'mon!??! What else do you need? Put it on VC so I can play it again!

TheAmazingRaccoon

TheAmazingRaccoon said:

I finally got Turok 3 recently, it was so rare. The funnest thing was picking a dumb character and using cerebal bore, or picking a fire resistant character and picking a lava level :)

Neram

Neram said:

Virtual Console needs more N64 games period, particularly the multi-player shooters that made the system rock, Duke Nukem 64, HeXen, Turok, Doom 64 etc. The N64 had some awesome PC ports too like Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire and Indiana Jones, often times superior too. Where are these games!?

HappyHappy

HappyHappy said:

I never played it, but I heard that this game was awesome. Suck that Nintendo does not have a lot of good N64 games on VC.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

It took me a while to get used to the facebutton controls that Turok had, but I definitely would buy them if they came to VC. Would be a great addition!!!

vio

vio said:

I've said before that I would love to see them, especially Turok 3 since I've never played that one. Luckily I still have Turok 1 and 2 here on my N64 to play whenever I want. :)

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

I don't know. I haven't played any of these on the N64, so i've got no nostalgia for the titles. From what i've seen in terms of gameplay- and story it doesn't really look epic enough to me to shell out the full price for N64 titles. For 7€ i might take the plunge though.Turok Evolution for the GBA sounds and looks good too. Hope that comes to the 3DS VC some day.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Well, it won't happen because Nintendo HATES N64 games on the Virtual console!!

DeVr33z

DeVr33z said:

I really want this to happen, at least for the first two games. I dunno about Turok 3 and Rage Wars because I never played them and I haven't heard the best things. But playing Seeds of Evil with a controller made for people with two hands instead of three... that would be perfection.

3MonthBeef

3MonthBeef said:

Never played Seeds of Evil; but because I like VG music I heard some songs (i.e Port of Adia) and I can easily see myself liking this game from that alone. Reminds me of Painkiller in some respects which I really liked as well. Even like the premise of the Primagen.N eed to buy a N64 and this game since we can be sure it won't ever appear on VC. From what I've noticed there are hardly any N64 games on VC anyway.