Those Wii U Launch Details Might be Coming in September

Posted by Mike Mason

About time

Nintendo has taken its time in revealing Wii U information, but the veil of secrecy has to be lifted at some point soon with the console due for release by the end of 2012. Initiate hype mode: we might get all those juicy launch details in a few weeks' time.

GamesIndustry International reports that Nintendo of America will be hosting a Wii U media event on 13th September. Nintendo of America president and all-round name taker Reggie Fils-Aime will be delivering a presentation about the system, but of course Nintendo is careful to reveal absolutely nothing more in the invitation.

GamesIndustry International received a media invite today for a special event. It reads, "Interested in learning more about how Wii U will change the future of gaming and entertainment? Join us for a presentation by Nintendo of America president and COO Reggie Fils-Aime followed by hands-on game play and demos."

With time zipping along, now could be a good time to blow that lid off once and for all. What are your hopes, dreams and expectations for a launch date and price?

[via gamesindustry.biz]

PuzzleMaster7

PuzzleMaster7 said:

I'd bet we will see it around a November release date since it's right before the holidays. As for prices, I'd estimate between $250 and $300.

Mulder1617

Mulder1617 said:

I have read on other sites about that being the most likely day for the news we've all been waiting for! :) I hope it will be a November release, price around $250 in the U.S., maybe some launch games and prices, if both white and black colors will be available here, and if something like Nintendo Land would be packed in.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

New games. If there aren't any then I'm not getting the Wii U.

And Reggie should be fired for blaming us for the Wii U not getting any good games. It's not our fault you guys were lazy.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

It can't be over 300$ or they will repeat what they did with the 3ds. I say the controller itself is worth at least 100$-150$. They need to get this right!!

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

To be honest, I'm kinda strapped for cash this holiday. If it's released on mid to late December with a maximum price of $350, that'd help me out. Still, I'm very eager to hear more details! Good thing September is just around the corner.

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

"Interested in learning more about how Wii U will change the future of gaming and entertainment? ... "

Well then...

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

My prediction:

RELEASE DATE: November 18th, 2012 OR November 16th, 2012.

Price: $275 OR $300

Launch games:
NSMBU
Assassin's creed III
Ninja Gaiden 3
Nintendo land (DUH)
Wii fit U
Pikmin 3
ZombiU
Rayman legends.

Kinda like the 3DS lineup, but with better games.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Good to finally have a date, though didn't we already know the date would be announced in Sept? Most importantly, will there be a LIVE VIDEO FEED?!?!

How close is that date to the iPhone 5, iPad Mini announcement?

hydeks

hydeks said:

tired of waiting for information on a system seemingly releasing soon :P
It's 2012 Nintendo, you should have WAY better communication with your customers, hell even if your actually are struggling to get systems ready for launch, AT LEAST SAY THAT!!! Anything is great at this point, the silence is just crap :P

Mario-Fan

Mario-Fan said:

I agree with PunnyGuy The 18th sounds correct because the earlier systems (Gamecube and Wii) was released in November on a Sunday and during the 18 and 19. Also the system should be $300 to $350 tops. And the Wii U also should come with Nintendo land. I certainly look forward to September 13th to hear the news. ( =

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

Wii was launched in Europe in early December(the 6th I think??) and I'd settle for a similar result this time. As for pricing, I'd expect £230, but to be honest I would hope that would also include a game(Nintendo Land would be my choice). I'm actually more worried about what an additional GamePad will cost!

Henmii

Henmii said:

"Those Wii U Launch Details Might be Coming in September"

As expected!

Metal_Slugger

Metal_Slugger said:

Hope 250 if its more than 300 I wont get it unless money is better by then. I'm sure it will be fun.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Nintendo has a conference in September every year, so this is it. I'm looking forward to learning more about Game & Wario, NSMBU, and the other launch games as well as the Wii U itself of course. I think it'll launch on November 18. I don't know about what the price will be, but hopefully it won't be too much.

spzero15

spzero15 said:

i will be the third Sunday of November as with most Nintendo Consoles. or knowing my luck it will be push into next year, I would be surprised if they moved it.

Ndayday

Ndayday said:

$350 is kind of what I expect it to be, but I'm secretly hoping for $300.
In any case I can't freaking wait.

Phantom5800

Phantom5800 said:

September 13th? Man, I got an invite for an event on the 8th in Seattle. crosses fingers hoping for something impressive

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

Yeah... I'm not excited about WiiU anymore.... give it maybe in 1 or 2 years :/
Until then, it's all about my 3ds :)

c1pher_c0mplet

c1pher_c0mplet said:

Alrighty! Just went to the Wii U Event last weekend and I was VERY impressed! Can't wait to hear more!

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

I'm with everyone saying maybe around $300-350, which is still a good range if you think about it.I doubt it'd be as low as $250 because then it would only be $50 more than a 3ds XL...as a next gen console? Nah. :x

$300-350 sounds reasonable to me.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Pleeeease bundle it with NintendoLand. It may not be the killer app that Wii Sports was, but that would be really dumb not to include any freebies. Also, there had better be a system in place for transferring over Wiiware/VC, since I have a glut of it on my Wii, and it's life expectancy is somewhat limited now.

DaveGX

DaveGX said:

I wonder if perhaps we might geta Nintendo Direct feed on this 1, because even though I've been hearing recently September 13 is when we'll get more info, the info above doesn't exactly clearly where/how we'll get more info.

Beechbone

Beechbone said:

$250-$300, and November release would be optimal. I hope for Assassin's Creed III and Rayman Legends to be day one launch titles.

warvad

warvad said:

Not buying it unless it retails for $150 and comes with a copy of Smash Bros. U.

Otherwise, you know, I just really don't care.

SirSmugleaf

SirSmugleaf said:

Nintendo comfirmed: September 13 they will be holding a press event in New York to announce all details.

Marios-love-child

Marios-love-child said:

Mines already pre-ordered at HMV but it will be nice to finally get some details of exact pricing and release date etc. :-)

MariosLoveChild

MariosLoveChild said:

Got mine pre ordered too, i know im the only one but id rather it didnt come with nintendo land. Not interested in it at all. Although i think we would all be amazed if it doesn't.

Marios-love-child

Marios-love-child said:

@ MariosLoveChild

I'm not too bothered about it either but if it came bundled its certainly something I'd be willing to give a try. If its not Bundled I cant see it being a a big seller so it makes sense to Bundle it and get people playing. :-)

Adammule

Adammule said:

i hope it will be salling in September becose it will be my birthday on the 30th.
so i can get Mario games.
I think it will be $199 :)

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

As long as it releases this year I'll be happy. A price between $300-350 would be okay, if it'll go over $350 however.. I'll wait.

What I really want them to show at this event is RETRO Studios or Monolith Softs new game. Or preferably both. Can't wait to see what they're up to.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

I really must have Pikmin 3! I wish they could've just released it for the wii anyway so I don't have to buy a new console but o well... The biggest decision maker for me tho is being able to transfer my VC downloads to the WiiU! If I can't in some way or another then we have a problem...

Retrowire

Retrowire said:

I'm betting $250 listing price. Also, the launch titles better be good because thats the factor that decides if I purchase a 3DS XL or this on Black Friday.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

@warvad smash bros won't be ready this year and it's doubtful they'll retail it at $150.

i'm looking forward to this media event and as well as seeing more footage of games already confirmed for the wii U, it would be extra nice to see some more announced titles as well that day. so bring it on! :-)

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

They better show amazing online functions there. And i'm not talking about what we've seen of the Miiverse so far, that doesn't look too interesting to me.
If it really looks like an awesome package with the right games announced - that are not more expensive than 50€ - i think i might even go as high as 399€.
That's surely not a price your average Mario fan would be able or willing to invest though and so far i can only see it appeal to people that already own a Wii.
Atm 229 € with some good software packed in sounds like a price that would surely smash the other consoles and make people buy it like crazy for some months. If the games also sell that might be the way to change the future of gaming and entertainment.

Rect_Pola

Rect_Pola said:

I can only assume they were waiting until 3DS XL was out so Wii U's price wouldn't spook away potential upgrades.

Hokori

Hokori said:

@LavaTwilight They already said it can transfer everything over, and it's better then DSi-3DS because it'll transfer your saves as well

steamhare

steamhare said:

Nov 15 or 22 (thursdays) are better bets than the 18th (a sunday). Still, 350 sounds right.

Minny

Minny said:

Nintendo always releases their products on Sunday in North America. They also cannot price it too high which would cause both a repeat of the 3DS and prevent impulse buys for holiday shoppers. They also will be competing with Halo 4, CoD, and a US Presidential Election on November 6th.

I originally thought the 18th at US $299.99. Today, however I think Nintendo will surprise us with a launch of 11/11/12, possibly even 10/28/12 to coincide with the 10/30 launch of AC: III and to avoid the nuttiness of the Presidential Election.

Releasing this system after 11/18 and for more than $299.99 (console/gamepad/possible game) is simply suicidal for the company.

Sept. 13 gives them 6-8 weeks of time to advertize effectively, but they also must realize people tune out because of the many political ads on TV in mid-Oct to early Nov.

Ren

Ren said:

yes! can't wait. despite my skepticism, I'll end up in some line of other nerds getting one so I can watch it sit another year when the best version of all the new games are on it. It doesn't look great yet, but at $300 and after the bumpy launch there'll totally be some killer sh** coming at us.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Hopefully there will some game announcements that get me excited for the system. Right now the only games I give a crap about are Lego City and New Super Mario. Stuff like Batman, Mass Effect 3, AC 3 are nice, but they're also games I'll play on other platforms or in the case of the first two, already have played.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@SkywardLink98

Reggie has been making terrible decisions left and right for the last couple years but I don't see him going anywhere any time soon.

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

@SkywardLink98 He might be talking about relatively poor sales of games like Sin and Punishment or Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, alongside the unnecessarily bombastic sales of Wii Play and Mario & Sonic at the 2008 Olympic Games.

It's not Nintendo's fault if the customers buy nothing but mini-game compilations, never giving fleshed-out games a glance... "But that's what marketing is for!", you might say. Why shouldn't people seek out information for themselves, i.e. searching for sites like NintendoLife, to learn about the gems in the rough? The only necessity to kindle a spark of adventure is the will to embark on a journey!

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

@SkywardLink98 - Huh? You can't really say there aren't any good games on Wii U without actually playing them. Even then, it's obvious there ARE good games. Pikmin 3? Batman? ZombiU? ACIII? NSMBU? Hello?

You clearly have no idea what you're saying. Reggie never said that fans complained about the Wii U's lack of quality software - he was saying that they were never satisfied with what they're given.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

I've a hunch this event will focus more on WiiU's "entertainment" features... such as how it will change the way we view video on our TV. Plus a launch date + price. My guess? Same as most of you: Nov. 18th, $299.99.

And I don't think NintendoLand is going to be packed-in. HOPE it is. But there's a big promotional cube-thing at GameStop that showcases WiiU games, including NLand, and they appear to be for retail releases, not included software.... we'll see soon!

triforceofcourage

triforceofcourage said:

I would be concerned if they plan on selling it for less then $300. If it can't even come close to competing with other consoles then Wii-U users will miss out on great 3rd party titles again. I'll buy the Wii-U if I can play Nintendo's awesome 1st party stuff, other 3rd party Wii-U exclusives AND 3rd party games that are cross platform on PS4 and Xbox 720. This generation we don't really have to worry about making another leap in terms of resolution. It looks like tvs are staying around 1080p, with anything mroe being expensive and overkill. If Microsoft bundles in kinect with it's next console as well, that evens the playing field again because they can't put as much money per system into power. Sony is likely doing the same thing with their playstation eye as well. I'm optimistic that next generation will be similar as far as power goes, because then I'll be purchasing the Wii-U. :)

TornadoX7

TornadoX7 said:

All i hope is that the price is below $350 and the launch date is somewhere in November.....if soo then Wii U is BEAST!!!!!!! lol

Koopatroopa64

Koopatroopa64 said:

300$ seems like a fair price (if i estimated correctly), and I would certainly pick a wii U up as soon as I can